Author Topic: On to Saturday.  (Read 3184 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: On to Saturday.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 09:15:35 PM »
A familiar story sadly, it seems, of missed chances and not having the ability to turn defeats into draws and draws into wins.....something that WAS there last season. It almost seems like they are collectively running out of steam at this part of the season. I would think that in order to achieve a play off spot, they are going to need to start scoring more goals per game than is currently happening. The goal contributions from Marriott and Clunan are impressive, but someone else needs to step up on a regular basis and find the back of the net, if Lynn are not to miss out this season IMO.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
A familiar story sadly, it seems, of missed chances and not having the ability to turn defeats into draws and draws into wins.....something that WAS there last season. It almost seems like they are collectively running out of steam at this part of the season. I would think that in order to achieve a play off spot, they are going to need to start scoring more goals per game than is currently happening. The goal contributions from Marriott and Clunan are impressive, but someone else needs to step up on a regular basis and find the back of the net, if Lynn are not to miss out this season IMO.

Everyone but Adam Marriott seems afraid to shoot at the moment, far too much messing around near the 18 yard box. We seem to have no plan B and struggle to bully teams, Iím not sure anyone knows the best 11.

Still we are in the playoff hunt after a fantastic run, which we would of all been very happy with after 7 games!

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:10:58 AM »
Tom Ward was at the game yesterday. Grantham didn't have a match.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:08 AM »
Lynn are obviously having a good season so far: they have lost only 6 matches this season and are sitting in fourth place with a strong chance of reaching the play offs. Lynn are not scoring as freely as. they did last season because this season we don't have a League 1 standard right wing-back scoring 11 goals and making 26 assists.
As Ryan Jarvis said in interview: you can't understimate how much  difference Cameron Norman made last season.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:15 AM »
Agreed Stan, Norman is a big loss and Lynn wont have a wing back of his ilk for the rest of the season. Given that they just missed out last year with him in the team, it would seem reasonable to suggest that this year they may have to find other ways of getting the required goals or this campaign may come to nought.Lynn didn't have their Fox in the box last year...this year they do......don't personally feel that the diff between this year's team struggling to score and last  year's being free scoring is just down to "the Norman effect". Maybe Lynn have to play a diff way/style on heavy pitches/rest of the season.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:10 AM »
KES. I donít think it just about the number of goals Norman scores for us last season.  I would wager he would be high up on the number of assistís he was involved with ( stats are not my thing).  So that needs to be factored in to any difference.

I firmly believe IF IC had been with us from the get go and had a pre-season with HIS squad things would be looking a little different.  Culverhouse leaving killed the momentum and Cleeve bringing in Clark was the nail in this season coffin.

Some of the old heads we had last season are now old heads with another year on the clock.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:38 AM »
Agree strongly with your last two paragraphs Mallard.
The point I was trying to make re Norman/goals scored, was that Lynn have to find a way of compensating if they are going to be successful this season. The usual rhetoric coming out after games is either "dominated possession, but hardly had a shot all game" or "missed a hatful of great chances". Having just one forward who scores regularly may not be enough when other sides up there have 2/3 regular goalscorers.Lynn have two pacey wingers and when Jones is fit, potentially two useful wing backs.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 09:33:06 AM »
 :farmer: A lot of the difference this season, I believe, is down to the loss of Simon Lappin.  :oldman"

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »
Spot on Lappin is a big loss.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 07:25:07 PM »
So we miss Lappin, King, Norman?

Of course we do.......who wouldn't? Players move on. Nothing new in that. You recruit different players and go again. Simple as that.

When we lost Defty, Setch and Buster rolled up their sleeves and got on with the job!

The result was back to back promotions if my memory serves me well! :dontknow:
Customers,not Supporters? ;)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »

Of course we do.......who wouldn't? Players move on. Nothing new in that. You recruit different players and go again. Simple as that.

When we lost Defty, Setch and Buster rolled up their sleeves and got on with the job!

Can't argue with that!

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 07:15:31 AM »

Not sure of the relevance of your post to the discussion in hand which was triggered by a post by KES80 which questioned amongst other things: why Lynn are not scoring as many goals this season as last, to which I cited the loss of League 1 standard player, Cameron Norman with all his goals and assists as being a significant, if not the significant factor.
Are you perhaps introducing a new debate around a comparison of the Buster/Setchell regime with the current
Cleeve/Culverhouse arrangement?
I just want to be clear.
Thanks.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34:28 AM »

Not sure of the relevance of your post to the discussion in hand which was triggered by a post by KES80 which questioned amongst other things: why Lynn are not scoring as many goals this season as last, to which I cited the loss of League 1 standard player, Cameron Norman with all his goals and assists as being a significant, if not the significant factor.
Are you perhaps introducing a new debate around a comparison of the Buster/Setchell regime with the current
Cleeve/Culverhouse arrangement?
I just want to be clear.
Thanks.

Making a comparison between losing a very influencial player then to losing very influential players now, it is a comment much as others that have been made,no new debate needed,it is an opinion. :cheers:
Customers,not Supporters? ;)

GrahamB

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »
IMO we have to move on from what we had to what we've got, losing players through the revolving door is part and parcel of football more so I think in non-league where contracts are not worth the ink used to write them. We have a great team and manager we just seem to have lost our ruthlessness in front of goal, but after the start the 3 stooges gave us I think most of us would be happy at 4th in the middle of February. We will make the play offs and from there on in the lottery begins. IMO there are more positives than minuses since Backie and Neil took over things have progressed immeasurably.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
Players will always move on. Norman was a massive loss and impossible to replace. Just a shame the Chairman couldnít have got him contract so as to soften the blow of his departure.

I still maintain the biggest single loss from last season was IC then compounded by Mr Cleeve appointing Simon Clark.  Unbelievably poor judgement.