Author Topic: On to Saturday.  (Read 4319 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: On to Saturday.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 07:01:13 PM »
The question I posed seems to have largely been misinterpreted. I am not really interested in who Lynn haven't got this year and who they might be missing. The question is that Lynn are simply not scoring enough goals.......what does the management team do with the present personnel to correct that ? e.g. Gash for all his work rate has too few this season...is it the system or is he having an "off season" . Hawkins was scoring for fun at the start...now he is only featuring for 30 mins a match ? Do Lynn need to modify their style of play especially at this time of year?...having most of the possession and being the best footballing side in the division for two years running is all well and good but only if it secures the desired result etc etc...so I guess I was hoping it might start a sensible footballing debate with suggestions as to what might be the way forward with what is currently available.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
What is Parkerís strike rate this season compared to last ?  Seem to think Ryan Fryatt weighed in with a few last season. Then again Marriott has more than replaced Mettams goals to games ratio.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »
The question I posed seems to have largely been misinterpreted. I am not really interested in who Lynn haven't got this year and who they might be missing. The question is that Lynn are simply not scoring enough goals.......what does the management team do with the present personnel to correct that ? e.g. Gash for all his work rate has too few this season...is it the system or is he having an "off season" . Hawkins was scoring for fun at the start...now he is only featuring for 30 mins a match ? Do Lynn need to modify their style of play especially at this time of year?...having most of the possession and being the best footballing side in the division for two years running is all well and good but only if it secures the desired result etc etc...so I guess I was hoping it might start a sensible footballing debate with suggestions as to what might be the way forward with what is currently available.

Hit the nail on the head here  :comeon: Gash has only got 6 in what 25 games and seems to not want to pull the trigger aswell. Hendo and Hawks both off the boil leaving alot of pressure on Marriott.

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
I thought your original post was very clear: that Lynn are not scoring enough goals this year and that this has cost us points. I mentioned Norman, because last year he waded in with 11 goals and 26 assists from right wing-back. Lynn have not had the same quality on the right side this season which for me is the main reason that Lynn are not as productive as last year. Lynn have not been able to break down teams, particularly at home because of lack of width on the right hand side compared to last season.
I think we can rest assured that Culverhouse knows what the problems are but it doesn't matter what tactics or system you use if there is a lack of quality in key areas.
Aaron Jones looked to be developing into a decent wing-back but he has been hampered by injury.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
I thought your original post was very clear: that Lynn are not scoring enough goals this year and that this has cost us points. I mentioned Norman, because last year he waded in with 11 goals and 26 assists from right wing-back. Lynn have not had the same quality on the right side this season which for me is the main reason that Lynn are not as productive as last year. Lynn have not been able to break down teams, particularly at home because of lack of width on the right hand side compared to last season.
I think we can rest assured that Culverhouse knows what the problems are but it doesn't matter what tactics or system you use if there is a lack of quality in key areas.
Aaron Jones looked to be developing into a decent wing-back but he has been hampered by injury.

Then the obvious answer has to be get someone in who can do the job and dump someone who isn't doing it! :banghead; :banghead;
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
Not sure there many League one standard right sided attacking defenders looking to join a step 3 Non League side.  I think rather than thinking of what we have lost we should be thankful for what we had.  Players of that calibre  donít fall into our lap that often.  The same could be said about King and Lappin. Though I donít think Lappin would have been the same player this season.  Think he is now at the standard he is comfortable with at step 5 Wroxham.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
Hi Stan and Mallard.....thanks for your replies, but in saying you thought my post was clear, you have then both gone back to talking about last year's players.
Put yourself in I C shoes...you aren't able to bring anyone else in....just using the current squad, how might you try and change things to improve the effectiveness ie not necessarily the style but the goals and results.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2019, 10:19:41 PM »
KES itís the same thing from a different direction.  As for IC doing anything now, for me we should go with what we have.  Hopefully make the play offs and be fresh enough to make a fist of the play-offs. 

However I honestly think it will step 3 next season with a bit of re-building to be done in the summer. 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
Hmmm. With Coalville having 4 games in hand Lynn are effectively 5th on goal diff from Alvechurch/Rushden and Diamonds. I suspect nothing will change in terms of formation etc unless we drop a few more points and fall to 7th or 8th, at which point something different in terms of set up of the current squad will be tried out.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
Hi Stan and Mallard.....thanks for your replies, but in saying you thought my post was clear, you have then both gone back to talking about last year's players.
Put yourself in I C shoes...you aren't able to bring anyone else in....just using the current squad, how might you try and change things to improve the effectiveness ie not necessarily the style but the goals and results.
I have said on several occasions on this forum this season that Lynn need to make better use of wide areas when attacking but Lynn's best wing-backs: Richards and Jones have been injured and Richards has been asked to twice play in Jarvis' role since returning from injury.
Your original question referred to last season so it seemed perfectly reasonable to mention Norman as a key factor in the lack of goals this season. Yes, of course we need to look forward but that applies to all things including not banging on about Clark at every opportunity, whose six league matches would have produced more goals and points if Norman had been in the side. Even the current Culverhouse coached team is not as effective as last season without Norman.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 10:07:48 AM »
I notice you mention width and wing backs a fair amount in your posts Stan.Lynn also potentially have two wingers in Hawkins and Mellors-. Do you think there is a way to incorporate the wingers more, using for example Jones in midfield as a link so that Gash is used more as an out and out striker with Marriott, rather than getting involved in so much link up play ?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
I notice you mention width and wing backs a fair amount in your posts Stan.Lynn also potentially have two wingers in Hawkins and Mellors-. Do you think there is a way to incorporate the wingers more, using for example Jones in midfield as a link so that Gash is used more as an out and out striker with Marriott, rather than getting involved in so much link up play ?
Culverhouse prefers wing backs to wingers, as they can get down the outside of the right or left midfield players on the sides of the diamond and can work combinations with them or create overloads. These wide players need to get beyond opposition defences as this makes the defenders face their own goal and is harder to defend. BT does this but often plays the ball straight across the six yard box. It's more effective if the balls are cut back to oncoming midfielders.  At present this isn't happening on the right. Hawkins can do this but from right-mid not right-wing back. Richards at right wing back until Jones can play. He can link up with Hawkins.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 01:40:22 PM »
Problem is we can only put 11 on the field at once!  Personally I don't think IC knows how to set up with the squad at his disposal - some weren't his buys, some are underperforming in comparison to last season and given when he rejoined its then very difficult to add the players you might want mid-season.  He has tried various formations and combinations and at times we have played some good football but unfortunately not to the same degree or with the consistency that we did last year.

So KES80, sticking with the personnel we have, I don't think the centre halves are strong enough to play 4 at the back if we are expecting both full backs to push on and provide the width in the team so we then have this compromise, so we either go with 3 at the back or accept that width (if required) has to come from somewhere else.  I don't think either Hawkins or Henderson do their best work out wide, so for me it would be a back three with FBT and Richards providing the width and Jarvis and Clunan holding in the middle of the park, so a 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 depending on preference, we also have Jones coming back into that mix, I didn't see him in pre-season but apparently played well centrally so if Richards or Kerins can hold down that right wing back spot there is a chance to freshen things up in the middle.  The real difficulty comes in what is in front of the midfield.  Marriott is the only real nailed down starter as I am sure a case could be made for or against any of the other 5.  For me Gash does enough to start most games but he has to stay central and allow others to do his running, for that reason I would have Marriott and Hawkins playing off him and then swap them for WMB and Henderson respectively if things need a freshen up.  That said, you can see IC rates Parker and what he gives to the team - more bite than Henderson or Hawkins and has a good football brain that gets him in some great positions but somehow isn't coming off for him this season and as I said at the start, can only put 11 out on the pitch.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
Problem is we can only put 11 on the field at once!  Personally I don't think IC knows how to set up with the squad at his disposal - some weren't his buys, some are underperforming in comparison to last season and given when he rejoined its then very difficult to add the players you might want mid-season.  He has tried various formations and combinations and at times we have played some good football but unfortunately not to the same degree or with the consistency that we did last year.

So KES80, sticking with the personnel we have, I don't think the centre halves are strong enough to play 4 at the back if we are expecting both full backs to push on and provide the width in the team so we then have this compromise, so we either go with 3 at the back or accept that width (if required) has to come from somewhere else.  I don't think either Hawkins or Henderson do their best work out wide, so for me it would be a back three with FBT and Richards providing the width and Jarvis and Clunan holding in the middle of the park, so a 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 depending on preference, we also have Jones coming back into that mix, I didn't see him in pre-season but apparently played well centrally so if Richards or Kerins can hold down that right wing back spot there is a chance to freshen things up in the middle.  The real difficulty comes in what is in front of the midfield.  Marriott is the only real nailed down starter as I am sure a case could be made for or against any of the other 5.  For me Gash does enough to start most games but he has to stay central and allow others to do his running, for that reason I would have Marriott and Hawkins playing off him and then swap them for WMB and Henderson respectively if things need a freshen up.  That said, you can see IC rates Parker and what he gives to the team - more bite than Henderson or Hawkins and has a good football brain that gets him in some great positions but somehow isn't coming off for him this season and as I said at the start, can only put 11 out on the pitch.
Fryatt and McCauley are more than capable in a back 4 and Lynn generally have one full-back sit if the other goes forward, leaving a three but with the option to switch quickly if needed. Three at the back is ineffective at home with sides that only leave 1 up front. Three players marking one is pointless. Three at the back might work away but not at home imo.
The main problem this season has been that right side. Get that working and things will be fine.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »
Ryan Fryatt can do the Wing Back role but it needs someone else to fill the Defender role he plays in at the moment - Tom Ward?
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.