Author Topic: Redditch at home  (Read 2632 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Redditch at home
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:00:34 PM »
With 8 of the remaining games we have being against bottom half sides there is no reason why Saturday shouldnít be the start of a decent run in to grab one of the play-off places.  Should be enough to keep the season alive for the fans and the players.

I wonder if Ian Culverhouse has already got eye on next season.  Letís hope itís a much calmer
Summer than last year.  IC staying in place, fingers crossed as there is no telling who The Chairman would give the job to after last summer.

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Redditch at home
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Hey Mallard.
I know that you and I are not talking. But Griss suggested offering lifts to away games.
You don't appear to get to many away games. I try to go as much as possible. Would you like a lift? Be a chance to bury the hatchet and we can invite KES80 along as you both seem to get on so well.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
Stan itís rather childish that we do not speak, for that I apologise.  Time to move on.

Great idea re- a lift.  Iím in Horning so are we close enough to travel together, so would it make sense to join forces.  Not sure where KES  is based. 

Over to you KES would you be up for it ?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 02:12:30 PM »
Beer in the bar Saturdy anyone? :cheers:
Customers,not Supporters? ;)

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
IC not on a contract so that will be the first hurdle in the summer! Way too soon for that anyway every game is currently a must win for us hoping the boys come out firing.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »
Stan itís rather childish that we do not speak, for that I apologise.  Time to move on.

Great idea re- a lift.  Iím in Horning so are we close enough to travel together, so would it make sense to join forces.  Not sure where KES  is based. 

Over to you KES would you be up for it ?
That all sounds very convivial.....liking the idea guys. I am based in Norwich and do work some Saturdays.....so away games other than Lowestoft are a bit of a challenge, but something might be possible before the end of the season.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
All getting pretty tight and last nights result only made things tighter, I think you can go down to Rushden in terms of teams with a reasonable shout at a playoff berth which means there are going to be 3 teams that will miss out, probably with lots of twists and turns before the end of the season.  We could really do with IC finding that right formula and the team going on a bit of a run but I am not holding my breath. 

Would agree with L93 that confirming IC would be the most important bit of business in the summer and, assuming we don't go up (not ready imo), I think we could see a fair bit of player turnover in the summer

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »
Beer in the bar Saturdy anyone? :cheers:
Yeah, why not!

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
All getting pretty tight and last nights result only made things tighter, I think you can go down to Rushden in terms of teams with a reasonable shout at a playoff berth which means there are going to be 3 teams that will miss out, probably with lots of twists and turns before the end of the season.  We could really do with IC finding that right formula and the team going on a bit of a run but I am not holding my breath. 

Would agree with L93 that confirming IC would be the most important bit of business in the summer and, assuming we don't go up (not ready imo), I think we could see a fair bit of player turnover in the summer
It is tight but I think Lynn will still do it. They've just hit a bit of a hump as all sides do. That pitch at Rushden was awful and for a ball on the deck passing side like Lynn this is always a leveller. They've had a couple of injuries and Jarvis has been struggling recently but this tightness at the top will stop any complacency that may have also crept in. Some big games to come and a winning run to start this Saturday.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »
It certainly should keep the fanís juices flowing with a tight run in.
However Stan on the subject of us being a passing team ( which we are) I think we need to factor in the state of some of pitches we will encounter. 
IC is on record as saying he wonít change his MO but if the surface doesnít allow us to play that and as you correctly state is a great leveller, then we have to find a plan B, C etc.  Itís all well
And good sticking to principles but if they donít translate to points then I think Ian has to be big enough and indeed brave enough to swallow that pride, all for the greater good.

Thoughts Stan, or shall we discuss over a Vimto at the weekend ? :thanks:

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »
However Stan on the subject of us being a passing team ( which we are) I think we need to factor in the state of some of pitches we will encounter. 
IC is on record as saying he wonít change his MO but if the surface doesnít allow us to play that and as you correctly state is a great leveller, then we have to find a plan B, C etc.  Itís all well
And good sticking to principles but if they donít translate to points then I think Ian has to be big enough and indeed brave enough to swallow that pride, all for the greater good.

Step 3 pitches, mid winter.......................don't think we can rely on other Clubs providing us with the playing surfaces we would like to play our passing game on. With Mallard on this one.

Don't be a Wenger.....................always have a Plan B!   :scarf:

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »

Step 3 pitches, mid winter.......................don't think we can rely on other Clubs providing us with the playing surfaces we would like to play our passing game on. With Mallard on this one.

Don't be a Wenger.....................always have a Plan B!   :scarf:
Lynn did use a plan B against Rushden: hitting Mellors-Blair quickly to run the channels but the wind made it hard to hit accurate balls. Lynn reverted to Plan A second half but couldn't break down a resolute defence. Rushden's pitch was awful and not typical of most of the away pitches that I've seen. Lynn stuck to their passing game away from home last season and that seemed to work ok.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:15:39 PM »
I think IC and team have to have a plan for whatever surface presents itself to them on match way.  Letís not forget how unhappy Culverhouse was with his home surface last season.

If plan C means hitting Gash early and getting up in support or even basic stuff of hitting the channels and turning them around. ( it worked for Biggleswade at The Walks on the opening) then thatís what we have to do at this stage of the season.  Really it has to be all about points on the board now and playing the right way as to be of secondary concern.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:49 PM »
In IC's defence, plans also have to accommodate the personnel he has at his disposal and its fair to say he has recruited players who 'can play' so that has to be our default set up most weeks.  If conditions (pitch, weather) mean we have to think about a plan B we have to be sure that the players we have will be more successful playing that alternative compared to a compromised plan A.  I think this is where IC's comment stemmed from - conditions weren't great for the Royston game but our first goal came from absolutely brilliant flowing, on the deck, football so he could argue that even in poor conditions we could still play 'our game', although he did concede that 2nd half conditions dictated a switch in emphasis.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
Tony,  thatís a very fair comment.  However we have a lot of experience in the team who should be able to adjust Ďdownwardsí in terms of style of play required.  Most teams will revert to going Ďlongí if they are chasing the game say in the last 10 minutes. 

The situation this is season is we can control the standard of the surface of The Walks but of course away from home we can only control the way we set up.