Author Topic: Rushall away  (Read 1682 times)

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Rushall away
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 06:14:24 AM »
Sorry, but don't quite understand some peoples shock at this result, we haven't played consistently well for much of the season and have only really played in patches, hence lots of draws.  The table doesn't lie and we are in a fight for the playoffs, yes we gave other teams a bit of a start with the Clark mistake but we have been there or thereabouts since Christmas without really being able to put a good run together (the unbeaten tag is a bit of a red herring in the days of 3 points for a win). 

Losing Jones for a further 3 games (?) will be a blow and yes Stan you could point to a different centre half pairing being an issue (I don't know as I wasn't there) although I think problems more often than not start further up the field, but why on earth did Clunan take the penalty?  Appreciate Marriott had been subbed so wasn't an option but given he must have missed more than he has scored this season would it be such a loss to let someone else take it?
Tony, I agree that Lynn have been inconsistent this season and I would be interested to know why you think this might be?
The starting 11 are still the core of last season's side, improved, in my opinion, by Marriott. This league is felt by many to be weaker than last year, so what's going wrong?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 08:23:36 AM »
Sorry, but don't quite understand some peoples shock at this result, we haven't played consistently well for much of the season and have only really played in patches, hence lots of draws.  The table doesn't lie and we are in a fight for the playoffs, yes we gave other teams a bit of a start with the Clark mistake but we have been there or thereabouts since Christmas without really being able to put a good run together (the unbeaten tag is a bit of a red herring in the days of 3 points for a win). 

Losing Jones for a further 3 games (?) will be a blow and yes Stan you could point to a different centre half pairing being an issue (I don't know as I wasn't there) although I think problems more often than not start further up the field, but why on earth did Clunan take the penalty?  Appreciate Marriott had been subbed so wasn't an option but given he must have missed more than he has scored this season would it be such a loss to let someone else take it?
Tony, I agree that Lynn have been inconsistent this season and I would be interested to know why you think this might be?
The starting 11 are still the core of last season's side, improved, in my opinion, by Marriott. This league is felt by many to be weaker than last year, so what's going wrong?

For me there are a few things;
 * IC had the back end of the previous season and then pre-season to get a pattern and squad (in that order) that he was happy with, he then added Lappin and King as the season progressed, both of whom fitted in perfectly to the style we were already playing and you could see the players believed in.  Not the case this year with a chaotic first couple of months and since his return IC hasn't been consistent in his selection or set up as he struggles to find what works with this group (albeit with most of last seasons squad and I agree Marriott is a massive plus on last year)
 * leadership, I think we lost a lot of 'on field nous' with Lappin's departure and I also think we miss Ward at the back, not that there is much between him and McAuley as players, as both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I think Ward was developing as a leader / player every month and helped 'set the tone'.  Personally I would have done whatever it took to get Lappin in as IC's assistant, I know it sometimes helps to have contrasting personalities within the management team but Bastock seems to have learnt his trade under Setch not IC so the calming influence of the bench from last year (where players looked to be trusted once they crossed the white line) has been replaced by almost constant shouting of instructions
 * Jarvis & Clunan.  Jarvis was outstanding last season and to be fair to him isn't having a 'bad' year this, but has maybe lost half a yard at times so is less dominant, also we are not always playing to his strengths.  Clunan was a changed man last year, far more focused and really stepped up with IC noticeably in his ear pre-game, this year we have seen some of the old MC come back with petulance detracting from his performances at times.
 * Style.  Last year in spite of the pitch and opposition we pretty much always tried to play our football, even when teams tried to close us down we persisted and often reaped our rewards later in the game when they just couldn't live with it for 90 mins.  This year we have played 'longer' and just don't seem to back ourselves to keep the ball and create, unfortunately other teams are then slightly better at the 'muck & bullets' stuff
 * Luck / injuries.  Last year we got away with a talented but relatively small squad up until the playoffs when we missed Clunan and Lappin just ran out of steam.  This year we have struggled at right back all season and the 'big' injury of the season so far has come in that spot as Jones was starting to look more comfortable there.

Not necessarily comprehensive but just a few of the key differences between last season and this term.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »
I agree with a lot you are saying Tony.  Plus factor in the loss of Norman and King, which was almost impossible to replace.

However the big difference for me is something you touched on Tony.  No IC before the start of the season and Cleeve replacing Culverhouse with Clark and then wasting money on signings such as Gaughran and Beevors.  Plus a few other poor signings.  I donít think you can put enough importance on pre-season.

That to me is where the main damage was done.

If we donít go up this season i do wonder how much longer Stephen Cleeve can fund this attempt at moving up the Leagues.  It maybe that step 3 under a Buster Chapman MO is the sustainable way forward.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 09:15:45 AM »
I agree with a lot you are saying Tony.  Plus factor in the loss of Norman and King, which was almost impossible to replace.

However the big difference for me is something you touched on Tony.  No IC before the start of the season and Cleeve replacing Culverhouse with Clark and then wasting money on signings such as Gaughran and Beevors.  Plus a few other poor signings.  I donít think you can put enough importance on pre-season.

If we donít go up this season i do wonder how much longer Stephen Cleeve can fund this attempt at moving up the Leagues.  It maybe that step 3 under a Buster Chapman MO is the sustainable way forward.

I also agree with Tony that there are a lot of factors that have lead to an inconsistent season but the most significant difference between last year and this is surely Cameron  Norman: 11 goals and 26 assists this year from right back and this Lynn side would be neck and neck with Kettering?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:28:14 AM »

I also agree with Tony that there are a lot of factors that have lead to an inconsistent season but the most significant difference between last year and this is surely Cameron  Norman: 11 goals and 26 assists this year from right back and this Lynn side would be neck and neck with Kettering?

I suppose that all depends on what Clark would have done with Cameron Norman!   :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:15 AM »
If he had a player like Norman there would be no telling what Clark would have done to him.  He certainly made his mark on a few players in the short time he was with us.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »
I hadn't mentioned Norman or King as player turnover is part and parcel of the game.  Would we be better with those two in the squad, almost certainly, but King didn't feature till later in the season and players like Norman don't come around at step 3 very often.  However, I wouldn't agree that Norman's loss is the 'most significant difference', maybe he made the players around him look a bit better and we did build a good chink of our attacking play around him but I would tend to agree with Mallard in that much of the inconsistency stems from the mess at the start of the season and IC having to build as he goes with the players he inherited or has managed to pick up mid season. 

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
Rushall best rushden2-0 last night

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »

I suppose that all depends on what Clark would have done with Cameron Norman!   :dontknow:
We are discussing the team's inconsistency across the season to date not just under Clark and  if we had Cameron Norman in the team for the season Lynn would have a lot more points on the board by now.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »
I hadn't mentioned Norman or King as player turnover is part and parcel of the game.  Would we be better with those two in the squad, almost certainly, but King didn't feature till later in the season and players like Norman don't come around at step 3 very often.  However, I wouldn't agree that Norman's loss is the 'most significant difference', maybe he made the players around him look a bit better and we did build a good chink of our attacking play around him but I would tend to agree with Mallard in that much of the inconsistency stems from the mess at the start of the season and IC having to build as he goes with the players he inherited or has managed to pick up mid season.
Norman did a bit more than make the other players look better Tony: 11 goals and 26 assists. The facts don't lie!

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »

I agree with all of that.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »
11 goals and 26 assists would have turned many of those draws into wins: 3 points instead of 1 on numerous occasions and despite the poor start and despite the fact that IC didn't have a pre-season etc, Lynn would be a lot closer to Kettering than they are now.