Author Topic: Stratford 0 v Lynn 2  (Read 3950 times)

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Stratford 0 v Lynn 2
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »
Quote from: Grissles Oleary on December 30, 2018, 12:49:43 PM
Quote from: Stan on December 30, 2018, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: Grissles Oleary on December 30, 2018, 12:22:23 PM
Stan is it not a match related issue to discuss the fact that we only had three subscribers on the bench? If you take into account that Bastock is on the bench anyways that drops it to two, what would the scenario have been if he had to come on, what position would he have played?  Have to say excellent attendance, well done everyone, keep it up.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
No it's not: squad size is about funding and funding is about club management.

So are fans not allowed to discuss such issues Stan? Perhaps you could do us all a huge favour, as you obviously have the inside track due to your connection with the club management, could you provide us all with a list of what we can discuss, and a list of no go areas?  I'm sure we would all appreciate this, and it would negate the need for you to jump on the defense at every other comment?  Nobody wants to know the exact financial position of the club, they just want to know the club is safe!
Your post raises a number of issues:
Fans are of course entitled to raise “such issues.” What I don’t enjoy personally and find a real downer after a great win, like the home win against Lowestoft is the tendency of some fans (not many but  a few) to almost immediately find something negative to talk about and then harp on about that rather than focus on all the many positives like the score line; the turnaround in performance compared to the away fixture; Marriott’s hattrick etc..
The particular issue that arose after the Lowestoft game concerned attendance. Fans will of course say what they wish to say but if they make statements about such things then they must be prepared to have them challenged by other fans who might have opposing views.
For example you posted: “For a Boxing Day derby I find that attendance dire. I would have expected closer the 1000 mark for today, going on that I feel that we will struggle to breach the 800 mark on Saturday? There must be someone somewhere who can put their finger on what is keeping people away, always used to be a good crowd Boxing Day at home.”
(The attendance of 1,300 stuck two fingers up to that unjustifiable pessimism about the Kettering game and someone posted the figures for recent Boxing Day fixtures and they were nowhere near 1,000)
When you look closely at what you have said, it is fairly evident that you believe that there is a problem with attendances this season: “what is keeping people away; always used to be a good crowd Boxing Day at home.”
Now, you might claim that you are comparing the present to the days before the club went bust but this would be disingenuous and out of context with the other things that you have said. No one will take you seriously if you try that “get out of jail free card.” It is obvious that, in the main you are comparing things to last/recent seasons.
In a later post on the same thread you say:
“Of course, it is here for debate but is it not pertinent to discuss attendance that is 15.13% down on last season, that is a total of 120 people per home game, is that not a worrying trend? Not only do you lose gate money but also the spend in the bar etc as people have pointed out we are running on a small squad, unless you know better Stan that downtrend will affect the budget?”
I responded by arguing that ticket prices make negligible difference to attendances and cited last season where both prices and attendances increased as a key bit of evidence for my point.
You responded by posting: “Ticket prices up by £1 again this season, attendance down 15% on last season?”
Now, simply putting a question mark at the end of a statement doesn’t make it a question. You have quite clearly equated the drop in attendance with the ticket price increase. You will try and wriggle out of this, no doubt by saying that you were just asking a question or some other baloney but the truth of the matter is that you  (there is substantial evidence for this on this forum should we need it)  are of the firm view that raising ticket prices has lead to a drop in attendances. As a challenge to your point I asked you again to account for the fact that last season ticket prices increased and so did attendances. This of course completely discredits your own position and despite putting this to you on a total of at least three occasions you have failed to respond.  So, rather than admit that you might be wrong, you avoid dealing with it and yet it is you who accuses others (or is it just me that you accuse) of hiding. You talk about “no go areas” well it would appear that any evidence that contradicts your firmly held belief (it is a belief as it is not based on evidence) that the club is to blame for a drop in attendances is itself a “no go area.”
So, returning to your original question: “who can put the finger on what is keeping people away” I have put the finger on the issue most clearly and yet you choose to ignore it, demonstrating that your original question wasn’t a real and genuine question but a rhetorical question based on your own unalterable belief. It’s as though you have expressed an opinion and then looked for evidence that confirms it or avoided any conflicting “evidence” that might contradict it, rather than taken a balanced look at the whole situation then form an opinion out of that balanced evidence. I think you’ll find that Donald Trump operates in the same way.
However, regardless of the reason for a fall in attendances, it is quite clear that your melodramatic claim about attendances falling by 15% this season is itself an, almost certainly, deliberate misrepresentation of the situation, making it appear that there is a significant problem when there isn't.
King’s Lynn’s average home attendances for the past few seasons are as follows:
2015/16: 488
2016/17: 544
2017/18: 780
2018/19: 719
When comparing data you need to make sure that you are comparing like with like. Someone on the forum pointed out that last season the home game against Hitchin in which Grant Holt debuted had an attendance of 1,067. In addition to that, the home game against Hereford – an ex-pro club -also achieved a large attendance at The Walks of 1,181. An accountant might call these exceptional items. It might be argued that the game against Kettering on Saturday is equivalent to the Hereford game but Lynn, of course, played Kettering at home last season in front of a large crowd. 
So, let’s say that that normal home attendance for those two games would have been about 700, that means that last season’s attendances needs to be reduced by (1,067 + 1,181) – 1,400 = 948.
To eliminate the effect of these exceptional items you need to remove them from last year’s figures. This would make last season’s average 743, making this season, currently 24 down on last season which is a 3% drop. Now of course, you will argue that this is still potentially a drop but attendances are likely to increase as we get to the business end of the season and factoring in the ticket price rise this season it is evident that revenue from league matches will on average have increased compared to last year.
In conclusion,
Looking at the last four seasons, the trend of attendances is clearly upwards – a trend means the general direction over a significant period of time.
Attendances have risen over time despite ticket price increases.
Average revenue per game from ticket sales this season is, excluding the two exceptional items from last year, probably higher than last season, demonstrating that the minimal fall in attendances so far this season is having no adverse effect on revenue.
For the second season running attendances are almost 50% higher than the last season of Buster Chapman’s ownership of the club

You mean this Stan?
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
Some of that is still relevant and if we studied the numbers closely we might come up with other factors. For instance, do the teams in this league bring as much away support as last year? It looks like they don't. Last season's figures were exceptional and it's unreasonable to compare normal with exceptional and judge normal as inadequate because it isn't as good as exceptional.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
Gates will always fluctuate.  They strung under Buster when we hit step 3 as we never looked like we were going to challenge at that level. Once We looked like challenging then the gates went up.

I think Culverhouse leaving had an impact on numbers at the start of this season.  The poor start also won’t have helped.  Since Culverhouse returned there has been an up turn.  Come the end of the season I wouldnt expect there to be much more than a rizzla between this season and last.

The big question is how do we get them up to a 4 figure mark ?
Suggestions

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 08:38:16 PM »
 :banghead;
Gates will always fluctuate.  They strung under Buster when we hit step 3 as we never looked like we were going to challenge at that level. Once We looked like challenging then the gates went up.

I think Culverhouse leaving had an impact on numbers at the start of this season.  The poor start also won’t have helped.  Since Culverhouse returned there has been an up turn.  Come the end of the season I wouldnt expect there to be much more than a rizzla between this season and last.

Suggestions

I feel we must not increase the admission price any more in the foreseeable future,the money being charged is enough for the level we play at and indeed clubs playing higher level, charge less. We as supporters have stomached our prices this season but I would not like to see it increase again. These are old gripes but I really hope prices stay the same .

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 08:58:22 PM »

Suggestions

I feel we must not increase the admission price any more in the foreseeable future,the money being charged is enough for the level we play at and indeed clubs playing higher level, charge less. We as supporters have stomached our prices this season but I would not like to see it increase again. These are old gripes but I really hope prices stay the same .

I think many away fans were put off by the price rise,people I have spoken to at some away games said they would not come to Lynn because of the price? :bankrupt: :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:41 PM »
Early bird season tickets would be my suggestion to get a few more in each week. Could the club tie in with the local schools to push for more family days out?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »
Might be a bit of a rush to get it arranged,but how about a slightly cheaper ticket that would cover the final three home games in one ticket,maybe along the lines of £33 for all three games,a saving of £6,obviously adjust concessions tickets accordingly? maybe bigger crowds,more spends? :dontknow:

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 05:12:41 AM »

Suggestions

I think many away fans were put off by the price rise,people I have spoken to at some away games said they would not come to Lynn because of the price? :bankrupt: :dontknow:
You've made this point before Griss. I don't buy it. Can you imagine not going to the St Neots away fixture because of a £2 price hike? Which fans look at away ticket prices before deciding to go?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2019, 05:22:05 AM »

Suggestions

I agree that the prices must not go up. Another increase could damage fan goodwill.
If I look at my own experience, I first came to watch Lynn by chance and enjoyed it so much I got hooked. Getting people through the turnstiles in the first place is key. Cleeve suggested that if everyone encouraged 1 friend to come along this could potentially double the current attendance. I think this is a good idea but needs an incentive: what about if you can produce your ticket for the previous home match your friend gets in free or for a nominal amount. Once through the turnstiles some will likely want to come again. It only needs to be as a one off or say a few times a year.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 05:24:20 AM »
Might be a bit of a rush to get it arranged,but how about a slightly cheaper ticket that would cover the final three home games in one ticket,maybe along the lines of £33 for all three games,a saving of £6,obviously adjust concessions tickets accordingly? maybe bigger crowds,more spends? :dontknow:
It has been demonstrated on here before Griss that the club would lose money doing this so they won't do it.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 07:52:41 AM »
I am sure they would Stan if they had more faith in how and who is running the club, the team and manager are doing a very good job,I am behind the club but will  not return until I have some confidence my money would be well spent and not unclear where it is going, you only have to look at the clubs accounts to see we are heading for big bang two

It's a good job the other 700 odd a week who are behind the club don't follow these views

"Cutting off your nose to spite your face" seems an appropriate analogy.  :dontknow:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »
To get more Away fans to come we need to make travel easier from the East and North.

Dual the A17 and A47 and they will come.  :laughcry: :laughcry:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »

Suggestions

You've made this point before Griss. I don't buy it. Can you imagine not going to the St Neots away fixture because of a £2 price hike? Which fans look at away ticket prices before deciding to go?

Many fans look at cost,do you think I have made it up!! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »

Many fans look at cost,do you think I have made it up!! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;

Of course they do.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
So if we got drawn away against a Premier league club in FA cup you wouldn't go because of admission price ?
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't