Author Topic: Dear Mr Cleeve  (Read 3461 times)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Dear Mr Cleeve
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
If you wish the club to develop and push on up the league system you need to get the community behind you. At present you are not trusted to keep the ship afloat. This may or may not be an unfounded fear but, after what happened to the club before, you cannot blame fans if they fear it may happen again.
First and foremost, you need to work with the trust. They need to be kept informed and can communicate with the fans that they represent. If that balance sheet is not as bad as it looks then you need to explain why.
You will not take this club forward without the support of the people of King's Lynn and that support will only begin by working closely with the Trust.
A lack of openness is causing considerable suspicion, negativity and concern. If you want bigger attendances that you need to build trust.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Mr Cleeve
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:47 PM »
If you wish the club to develop and push on up the league system you need to get the community behind you. At present you are not trusted to keep the ship afloat. This may or may not be an unfounded fear but, after what happened to the club before, you cannot blame fans if they fear it may happen again.
First and foremost, you need to work with the trust. They need to be kept informed and can communicate with the fans that they represent. If that balance sheet is not as bad as it looks then you need to explain why.
You will not take this club forward without the support of the people of King's Lynn and that support will only begin by working closely with the Trust.
A lack of openness is causing considerable suspicion, negativity and concern. If you want bigger attendances that you need to build trust.

Best post for a while Stan,but first and formost he needs to work with the fans,he can chat to 500 fans at a game,maybe arrange a chat with fans after a game,just a chat,no formal forum,people are more likely to help if help is aksed for? :dontknow:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
I think running the club has turned out to be far more tricky and time consuming than the owner realised.  He does he help but will he be clever enough to see it and do something about it ?  The Trust and FOTL could help to a degree, but I feel he needs to bring a few other directors who maybe have a few quid to throw into the pot.

Reading the EDP from Saturday it seems The George at Cley hasnít been doing so well
And in fact has been closed and is due to re-open in April.

Loopy,linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:42:02 AM »
Why would he want trust in the club ,itís the trusts sole intention to get their hands on the club ,itís the trust that wanted fans to stay away in first place .....donít trust the trust

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 05:04:24 AM »
Why would he want trust in the club ,itís the trusts sole intention to get their hands on the club ,itís the trust that wanted fans to stay away in first place .....donít trust the trust
The " trust wanted fans to stay away"
What makes you say this?

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 07:02:19 AM »
I have the same feeling about the trust they could do a lot more to help the club prosper instead of doing nothing ,I would like all involved in wanting the kings lynn football club to go forward to all pull together in the same direction .I do has much as I can to help I wish I could do more but at least I try if a few more did the same who could afford it  the club would be a lot healthier ,you can say what you like about about the Chairman but he does like his football and wants the club to move forward

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
Iím not sure moving forward is what is best for this club.

We are losing money again this year to comepete at the right end of the table.  Imagine the cost if we were to try and compete at the top of Step 2.

I think sometimes in life you have to accept where you are in the swing of things.  This is for me is our level.

What do others think ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »
Iím not sure moving forward is what is best for this club.

We are losing money again this year to comepete at the right end of the table.  Imagine the cost if we were to try and compete at the top of Step 2.

I think sometimes in life you have to accept where you are in the swing of things.  This is for me is our level.

What do others think ?

Careful Mallard. Rather than being realistic, you'll be getting accused of being negative and having no ambition.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »
Call me what you will B&G.  Has Mr Cleeve got bottomless pockets ?  Once we achieve promotion is there some big pot of gold sitting awaiting us ?  How much will it then cost too challenge at Step 2 ?   Can one man really take all of that on his shoulders ? 

We saw the Boom n Bust years on Bobbinís watch.  Hurtful times when the doors were closed and the damage that did. 

I wonder  If and when we gain promotion what happens to the gates if we are mid table and going nowhere ?  Remember what happened to the gates when under Buster we were treading water for a couple of years.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »

:laughcry:

Hi Loopy. Welcome back. Not seen you for a while.

Hope you've been keeping well.

:scarf:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
Those that refer to this club as a "Sleeping Giant" are sadly, these days completely misguided. The club's fans have been divided, in terms of what they want for years. The genuine core fan base seems to be currently 750 max with another potential 700 or so who are happy to cherry pick and come to a play-off or a cup game.
A "Sleeping Giant" would currently be being cheered on by a couple of thousand at this stage of the season.
The only things currently consistent with the "Sleeping Giant" tag are the owner's money and ambition, the management and team and the ground. I hope SC is successful, because at this stage of the game if he fails, the only thing that will be left is the ground. A ground which is 80% empty almost all of the time. Without the owner's ambition, I can see crowds of 350-500 being the norm, which might support a struggling step 3 side or a top half step 4 side.At that level of interest from the town's population surely the Council could call time on the ground, negotiate a settlement with SC and suggest the club move to Lynnsport.
Having said all of this, I am a supporter of the Trust and the Trust model and would love to see supporters more involved...but where are they when needed ?
Wake up football fans who live in the town.....it's  possibly getting to a point of "use it or lose it...possibly for good"

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »
KES. Donít forget we only pay a peppercorn rent at The Walks, would somewhere like LynnSport offer such a deal ?   Is LynnSport up to step 3 in terms of ground grading ?

In terms of numbers through the gate. How does this season compare to when he gained promotion from step 4, Admin?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »

Welcome back loopy, same old Tosh you no,  but welcome back.  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 10:46:37 AM »
............................ at this stage of the game if he fails, the only thing that will be left is the ground.

................but who'll be left with it?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
Yes, exactly B and G. A ground that has some wonderful history attached to it, but on the other hand is a real financial burden to maintain and has a capacity ten times of what would be required ?