Author Topic: REALITY  (Read 10133 times)

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
REALITY
« on: March 31, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
 :farmer: I am not totally happy with all that Mr. Cleeve has done while in charge of our club, however, I feel he has certainly carried out lots of what he promised, we now have a great manager( yes there were problems ,last season, but these were not all one persons fault), we now have a lot better playing surface ( with a vey good groundsman), we have great facilities ( good enough for higher level football with a few tweaks), the food and beer prices and offerings need looking at and getting more people in the clubhouse needs addressing (my major issue) .

There is so much drivel being written about Mr. Cleeve, but did we not have this also when Mr Chapman rescued our club?. Both these men had faults, but don't we all.

We as supporters really do need a reality check, Mr. Culverhouse, seems to be very happy with how the club is progressing, it appears from the outside that Mr. Cleeve is backing him where finances allow, and had it not been for the disappointing start to the season, which Mr. Cleeve admitted was partly his fault,  we really would have been there or there abouts with  Kettering. 

We sit 3rd in the league with 2nd a very real possibility, the attendances are rising ( granted down slightly on last season, but still time to recover, big games to come ), so I see quite a lot of positives, granted a few negatives, but come on get behind all concerned at the Walks and cheer this team on to promotion.

I know many will disagree with my post but hopefully many more will agree with some points . :farmer:

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: REALITY
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »
This will hopefully be an interesting debate, going forward Dazz.   This morning, over my Coco Pops I have read and re- read the Chairmanís programme notes.  Which I have I have to say appear to be both open and honest.  Though there are certain comments that I cannot totally agree with.

The present model of him bank rolling the club and putting in 50 hours a week of unpaid work cannot continue. I donít think that needed ink to gather that.   It seems the Trust want to get in bed with Mr Cleeve but the big sticking point is he doesnít want to offer any form of share holding to The Trust. So I can only assume he wants the money gifted to him.  Also the valuation on the shares is somewhat different  in each partyís eyes.  Isnít this always the case in businesss, mergers and takeovers ?

It does appear from the notes of Stephen that there is an olive branch being offered.  Hopefully the Trust will at least get around the table and see if there is a way forward. Also Mr Cleeve is open to other Directors coming onboard to lighten his load.  I assume he would be prepared to offer shares in the club to these people in return for hard cash.

Mr Cleeve is also asking the supporters of the club to dig deep and help in anyway they can. Raising money in anyway they can, buying season tickets ( even if they cannot attend every game) The fans to take Friend and family to the games.

So come on guys what are your thoughts on the programme notes and how can YOU make a difference and do something (however small) to help the club progress.  Or as Stephen has said are

you all happy for us to rattle around step 3 ?

One further point is Stephen Cleeve expects this season to add around another 140kís worth or personal loans to the balance sheet.  In fairness to the man he has stated that at no time will he ever expect these loans to be re-paid. Unless there is a massive windfall of cash flowing into the club.  At this point he may consider it.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
Very open and honest from the chairman that I commend, I feel heís put the ball in the trusts court to come to the table so they can work together. The model we are running is unsustainable and I think between the owner and the fans we have to make a decision do we continue to enjoy the football side of things to the level we currently are and dig a little deeper or do we accept mid table mediocrity and no ambition.

On a side note, you have to give everyone at the club some real credit at the moment, we seem to be riding the crest of a wave, a lot of momentum currently, the pitch is in great condition and I believe we have the best squad of the IC/SC era we may be missing a little bit of stardust but are bench yesterday was superb even with no Joe Robinson.

This time last year the IC rumours were beginning and we didnít have a lot coming of the bench, really feel everything is pointing in the right direction for a special end to the season.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »
 :oldman" Well said Mall and 93, the debate has started and no bad words written, a great way to start the thread and hopefully many more will join in.  :farmer:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
No need for any negatives at this stage.   Stephen Cleeve has thrown it out there and told the fans the way it is.  Now we need to see how the fans respond with ideas etc. 
 There are plenty of people ( myself included) who have plenty to say about the Club. Well now is there chance to step up to the plate with some suggestions on what ca be done.  Itís then up to the Chairman to either take it onboard or otherwise.

If the fans go with they are content  to float around step 3 with a sustainable budget does this mean the Chairman will support that idea ?  I mean we donít want a mini Brexit on our hands, do we ?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
No need for any negatives at this stage.   Stephen Cleeve has thrown it out there and told the fans the way it is.  Now we need to see how the fans respond with ideas etc. 
 There are plenty of people ( myself included) who have plenty to say about the Club. Well now is there chance to step up to the plate with some suggestions on what ca be done.  Itís then up to the Chairman to either take it onboard or otherwise.

If the fans go with they are content  to float around step 3 with a sustainable budget does this mean the Chairman will support that idea ?  I mean we donít want a mini Brexit on our hands, do we ?

I agree Mallard. It will be interesting to see what supporters decide to do and if they are prepared to take on board any of Cleeve's suggestions.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
Yes,  I think it's really good to bat it back to the fans, for many reasons. It kinda disempowers some of the moaners who say they are not being listened to and it should hopefully unite some in a common purpose.
SC has done a huge amount to lift the energy of the entire club and maybe it's time for the fan base to get more involved....would be nice if they did in large numbers.
I can't believe most would settle for mediocrity, how could you get excited about a match if there was no end goal......would rather make the last two seasons a nonsense and be sure to result in a drop off in attendances going forward.
Step 2 with crowds of say 1000 plus if the fans get behind the club, with IC in charge of this developing squad or step3/4 with crowds of 400-600, a vastly inferior squad, no IC (and maybe no SC, who knows).
In many footballing towns and cities the choice would be a no brainer. In  some other towns  not so.
Lynn used to be Southern League Premier when there was no Conference, ie two steps higher than now, I seem to recall. I am sure there are many extra costs of playing in Conf North and for me this is the rub. It's a real shame there isn't yet a Conf Midland division.....so can/will the fans support the club enough to sustain Lynn in step 2 ?

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 09:24:17 PM »
 :farmer:

I agree Mallard. It will be interesting to see what supporters decide to do and if they are prepared to take on board any of Cleeve's suggestions.

:farmer: My personal opinion is that we should always strive to better ourselves, fighting for promotion brings the crowds into the ground. Settling for a steady ride in the middle of a league will always bring in the 500 or so people who support this club, however fighting a relegation battle will see attendances drop to around the 300 mark.

Success  breeds success, this I realise all costs money, but winning matches draws in the crowds, who in turn brings in more revenue . In reality this should mean bigger spend inside the stadium, but this is where we fail to fully capitalise on our potential,all our food and drinks are too expensive,hence people not utilising the facilities offered, the bar is dull and drab and lacking atmosphere. I remember in my years supporting the Linnets, this was the go too place before and after matches, also at HT, money used to flow through the tills,not any more, in my humble opinion this has to be a very large income loss. Also the higher up you rise hopefully the better chance of attracting a large local company into sponsoring the club, the speedway seems able to attract big companies, why not the Linnets.  :oldman"

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
So Stephen how can we help the club , more people though gate would help for sure what else can be done well there is the fiver a win club with only twelve members in it which quite frankly is not very good for a club our size ,there must be people out there who could afford a fiver a win. The bar and food outlets could improve thatís for sure so what has got to be done to improve this ideas wanted.A fan share could be another way has anybody got more ideas to help run our great football club

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
In the past there has been disagreement between Stephen Cleeve and The Trust about involvement and representation.

The Trust, I believe, was formed to ultimately take over the running of the Club. However, this did not happen and Buster Chapman was "awarded" control. He then sold on his interest to SC.

Are The Trust simply waiting for the opportunity to snatch control when/if things go "pear shaped"  :dontknow:

Obviously The Trust are not simply going to hand over wads of cash with no control over how it is spent. That money should not go on wages, into Mr Cleeves pocket etc. (Not that I would accuse SC of doing such a thing.)

Any Trust involvement (to my mind) should be limited to physical improvement of the Stadium (Bar?), Pitch, Ground Safety, Disabled Viewing Area (Ramp Access to a Raised Platform and Larger or Access and Area in the Main Stand?) Toilet Facilities etc. etc.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
 :farmer: Quite a few valid ideas being floated about, it would seem to me that most people are in agreement that the bar area is a very big let down. I know it is easy to say but could we not possibly float the idea about getting a darts and dominoes team or possibly a pool team up and running, I realise you have to balance the costs against returns, but if we don't try new options we will never know. We still have decent amounts of darts,dominoes and pool teams in leagues around Lynn and these teams are very often the lifelines of village pubs and clubs. ANY THOUGHTS?.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
A lot of comments on here about the bar and I do understand it would be good to have a cosy, welcoming facility in the stand. However, I would suggest this is something fans could help do and turn around pretty easily.
I personally can' t see it being a big money spinner tho...what money isit likely to make per home game...few hundred quid would be my guess....sosay 25 home games in a season...say £5-10k pa. Not really going to make much of a dent in £140k. Think fans need to think on a slightly larger scale with ideas. Rather than a £5 raffle, why not a £50 raffle for entry into a monthly draw for 6 months. If 300 people took that up its £30k income over a year less prizes.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 02:16:59 PM »
Few quick points.

If we gain promotion stick a couple of quid on the admission. That pulls an extra 8%.   Getting the Trust onboard could bring in an extra 60/70 people.  Thereís another 14%.  SC has put a figure of -140k for this season.  How much of that is the pay-off on the mistakes with Clark, Beevors, Gaughran and now Kerins ?  That could be another 15% saving.

SC has Ďpaidí 140k for his season ticket. How much of those behind the scenes paid for theirs ? They claim to be true supporters of the club and carry out there various jobs for the love of it. So why do they get remunerated with free admission and catering ? The likes of the EDP, YLP Lynn News should all be encouraged to buy a couple of season tickets each.

There is just a few grand savings for next season.  Loads more ideas.  Come on guys letís here some strong ideas that Stephen could use.

How about a summer fun day in the ground ?  What would people like to see there.
Dinner nights with a guest speaker.  Been to a good few of these and they are always well suppported.

Ok, thatís enough from me for now.  Come on the likes of Stanand others lets hear from you.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 02:28:42 PM »
Good idea about guest speakers they always do well one I went to was Nobbie Styles son he was brilliant he had us laughing our heads off

northwootton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
I am really pleased that SC is being ď open and honestĒ.  I know the Australians and UK residents involved with the various land deals will be very pleased as will those involved with the whisky, port and wine investments they made.  For sure, Companies House will also be pleased following the 8 year disqualification of being a director of a company previously imposed on SC by them!!  I have been involved with forensic accounting for many many years and when businesses find their backs against the wall, assurances are invariably given that turn out to be somewhat wanting.  Based on SCís checkered past, would anyone want to join in an ďinvestmentĒ with him?  I am a member of the Trust and quite rightly they should keep their funds in the bank. Like all of us, I am enjoying the ride while it lasts.   Who knows how long it will be!  Hope he has a queue of wealthy fans ready with their £10,000 cheques.