Author Topic: REALITY  (Read 10435 times)

robbo84

• View Profile
Re: REALITY
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Ok, the EDP covers the whole of Norfolk and bits of Support but no harm in trying to tap them for support in some way.  As for the Lynn News and YLP.  Lord has stated that they offer sponsorship for the U18 and the Lynn New, I know in the past have been the headline sponsor of the first team. 

There is also nothing to stop the reporters from
The above two papers offering to buy season tickets to show thier support for the club, is there ? Robbo, I think you are the announcer (stand to be corrected) do you buy a season ticket or are you happy to be taking a few ( free admission) for your work?  That is not a dig at you just interested to hear your views on the subject.

Like the idea to charge for coverage. Everyone with an interest in the club should support it.

Forgive me for being controversial, but I donít see a problem with volunteers getting free entry to games. We are all doing something to serve the club and ensure it can function on a match day. I canít speak for all but I still pay for my food and drink, tote tickets and match programme in the ground. Iíve also bought the home and away shirts in the last two seasons so itís not like I donít contribute to the club financially, but in truth with travel on top each trip to The Walks still costs me around £50 and at times things can get pretty tight as Iím sure most supporters would agree.

I enjoy what I do, and I work with a team of good people, but there are times you miss being on the terrace as a regular fan.

Regarding the Media/Press team, other clubs in the league welcome our team for free when we are away, and we reciprocate when they come to us. I imagine it would cause resentment if we were to charge as it would surely have to be an all or nothing thing? Then youíve got visiting club officials and directors. Where does it stop?

The way I see it, if the club didnít have volunteers some of the roles would have to be paid to ensure they are covered and even the cost of a person at National living wage for 3-4 hours on a match day would far outweigh the cost of an adult match ticket. Some of the roles currently being fulfilled by volunteers are mandatory just to cover the groundís H&S requirements for a start.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 01:06:41 PM »
Few quick points.

If we gain promotion stick a couple of quid on the admission. That pulls an extra 8%.   Getting the Trust onboard could bring in an extra 60/70 people.  Thereís another 14%.  SC has put a figure of -140k for this season.  How much of that is the pay-off on the mistakes with Clark, Beevors, Gaughran and now Kerins ?  That could be another 15% saving.

SC has Ďpaidí 140k for his season ticket. How much of those behind the scenes paid for theirs ? They claim to be true supporters of the club and carry out there various jobs for the love of it. So why do they get remunerated with free admission and catering ? The likes of the EDP, YLP Lynn News should all be encouraged to buy a couple of season tickets each.

There is just a few grand savings for next season.  Loads more ideas.  Come on guys letís here some strong ideas that Stephen could use.

How about a summer fun day in the ground ?  What would people like to see there.
Dinner nights with a guest speaker.  Been to a good few of these and they are always well suppported.

Ok, thatís enough from me for now.  Come on the likes of Stanand others lets hear from you.
Hi Mallard.
As my original post "Dear Mr Cleeve" probably prompted last week's programme notes and this subsequent discussion thread, I don't. think you can suggest that I am backwards in coming forwards on such issues.
I am having a careful think about this, however, and will put in my two penneth worth in due course.

:banghead; :farmer: Stan, so glad to have you on board, but can I just say that in no way did your previous post have any bearing on my decision to start this thread, I started the thread to try and put a bit of reality back into what we as supporters expect. We can all crow about this and that, but we must remember we are a quite well supported team who have performed well in general over the last two years , and promotion really must be our aim, but with this , we need bigger income and basically this is what the thread was started for, to allow people put forward their views without the infighting that very often happens on this forum. OPEN AND HONEST , yes please , INFIGHTING. no thanks.

I also think charging the press is not the route we need to tread, we need the press to report and publicise our club. Pictures in papers with sponsors boards in the background, are the reason companies pay money to the club.  :oldman"
It doesn't matter to me who raises issues Daz. I wasn't responding to you directly but Mallard who has now changed  the emphasis of the thread to consider the challenges raised by the chairman's programme notes, which were clearly a response to a thread that I started called Dear Mr Cleeve. My response was to Mallard's rallying cry. Apologies if I have caused any offence.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 01:35:00 PM »
 :banghead; No problem to meStan, I just wanted a thread that was about discussing issues about our club, and how we could improve our outlook , l really did not want it to turn into the usual drivel and people arguing amongst themselves, just a REALITY CHECK.  :oldman"  :farmer:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 01:55:53 PM »
Robbo, I am not turning this into a personal issue and indeed it is small potatoes compared to the bigger picture.  However SC was looking at ideas no matter how small the amount.

It is indeed admiral of you to do what do in terms of buying lottery prog food drink etc.  However when you see Stephen Cleeve sticking in circa 140k does it not make you feel like you want to support the club even more ?  He has stated this amount of propping up and it is up to every true Linnets fan to take stock and ask themselves what more can I contribute.  It certainly has me. Like you I have a good distance to travel for a home game and certainly going forward I will be making more of an effort to put my hand deeper in my pocket. As a matter of interest Robbo do you declare the benefit in kind you receive ?

Anyway back to the bigger issue. How about a share issue for the fans to buy into ?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »
Don't think share issue is viable, sadly Mallard,
Control issues
Cost of doing issues
How to agree club value issue and related share cost/value.
Just a one off fix, not regular income going forward.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2019, 02:56:54 PM »
How about 'purchasing' a seat in the ground for friends and family for x no of years.....bit like a timeshare ?

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
Perhaps a bit late for this close season but how about a reasonably "big name" concert on the pitch
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
Liking that idea Blue.  I go to the Holt Festival, Theatre in The Woods every summer and it sells out.  Last 2 years itís been Suzy Quattro then Leo Sayer. Canít imagine those type of acts are expensive. Quite a good few tribute bands out there as well.

How about Lynn News having a Stephen Cleeve column ?  He is always good copy and people seem to love his programme notes. 

As a matter of interest who is heading up the commercial department these days ? Or is this failing under the remit of SC as well now ?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
Maybe develop ties with Speedway, West Norfolk Rugby and KLWNBC (as they lease ground) with incentives on tickets ?

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
 :farmer: Well guys, really liking this thread, quite a lot of good ideas being thrown into the equation, we as a club should really be able to pick a few ideas out and hopefully help raise  few pounds for the club, as they say EVERY LITTLE HELP.  :farmer:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 07:08:54 PM »
Agreed Daz.  People on here do care.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
Like Stan, I have taken my time in posting on here in light of SC's programme notes at the weekend (thanks again to Sue for my copy after the club sold out of programmes).

I was pleased with the general tone as SC now appears to realise that running the club as a one-man show takes its toll, both in time and money.  The £140K shortfall that he has had to find for this season is a crazy amount for step 3 and questions ought to be asked about the reasons behind this - a slight drop in attendances hasn't produced this and what it really points to is some structural problems within the club that won't be addressed by selling a few extra pints / burgers / 50-50 tickets.  For me it also clear that the club is in no financial state to go up, that isn't a lack of ambition, more a survival instinct - going up with the current infrastructure will only result in a bigger (and potentially fatal) shortfall as travel costs increase and gates decrease as we move from a playoff chasing side to a struggling one unless we threw even more money we don't have on the playing budget.  SC says that to be self sufficient the current step 3 playing budget would have to be halved, if that is the case then we really need to look at what other clubs are doing in terms of balancing crowd sizes / commercial activity with playing budget because ours is totally out of wack.

Unfortunately SC couldn't resist having a few 'pops' at where he saw the problems - fans who could contribute more not doing so, which is surely what the Friends should be tapping into rather than singling out a fan who 'gave' him £2.5K, says a lot if that is the business model we are adopting!  Also the Trust was unsurprisingly in the crosshairs and to a degree I can understand SC's frustration although I am not sure attacking a group is the best way to form a longer term relationship with them.  For me the B&G Trust, like trusts up and down the country, operates based on three factors - the enthusiasm of its directors, their engagement with the membership and the working relationship with the club.  The last of these was non-existent with the previous regime and SC has continued to see them as foe not (potential) friend, this in turn has led the directors to be more inward looking and entrenched and the membership disconnected, positions that seem to become more set as the years have gone on and having rejoined the Trust when SC took over a cycle that looks pretty difficult to break.

So, where do we go from here?  Personally I would still like to see the Trust have more involvement as that potentially could feed through to things like increasing volunteer levels and fan engagement as a whole but unfortunately whether either side is willing to find a way to make that work I have serious doubts.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »
Is it infrastructure Tony or could some it put down to one off costs ?

1Pitch
2. Kitchen
3. Paying off the disaster on the Managerial front at the start of the season
4. Poor recruitment

I wonder what the 140k reduces to when you remove the above from that figure.

I am sure the fanbase, Trust, investors could all help balance the books.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Is it infrastructure Tony or could some it put down to one off costs ?

1Pitch
2. Kitchen
3. Paying off the disaster on the Managerial front at the start of the season
4. Poor recruitment

I wonder what the 140k reduces to when you remove the above from that figure.

I am sure the fanbase, Trust, investors could all help balance the books.

I think the 'one off' argument might hold a bit more water if the club had been financially stable prior to this years projected £140K shortfall, but given that this is on top of the two previous years where the negative balance sheet value has gone from £21,645 in May 16 to £161,794 in May 18, I would suggest there is a bigger problem here.  Points 1 & 2 should form part of general ongoing maintenance costs, although I would accept both appear to have been enforced spends this year rather than scheduled expenditure and points 3 & 4 will occur with every club up and down the country as you cannot expect every appointment (on or off the field) to be a success.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2019, 04:35:28 PM »
Does anyone have a rough idea of the 1st team Squad costs this year-ie players salaries plus their travel expenses ?