Author Topic: Banbury  (Read 2462 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Banbury
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
Pretty poor result, given how many chances were missed and how much possession we seemed to have.
It often seems the case that 5/6 chances are missed for everyone that gets put away and very often the opposition goalie is credited with "having a blinder".

I guess today's result won't count for too much, as Lynn only seem capable of 2/3 wins on the trot. The best scenario is probably win a couple of the next 3,  lose at Stourbridge and then win the 3 that really matter.

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Banbury
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
We can’t win em all, so no need for panic buttons to be pressed.  Let’s just cast our minds back to that day when a late equaliser got us a draw at home to Histon in the FA Cup.  Would we have taken 3rd in the League after that ?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:45:34 PM »
Little to be gained from looking backwards IMO........good to make the most of current opportunities.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:38:39 PM »

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Whilst not that damaging to our play-off hopes, it does mean that unless there’s a fairly sizeable swing in goal difference, (or Stourbridge lose their play off) we’re likely to have to play the play-off final away from home. And the super-playoff is likely to be an away trip to Warrington or South Shields; if we get that far.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:30:44 AM »
Yes, well it's been a fun season to date and this team have done  really well to get to the play offs, but they will need to win 3/4 "Cup finals" to get out of this league and on the evidence of the season thus far, that may be too much of an ask. Still "football's a funny old game "

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »
Whilst not that damaging to our play-off hopes, it does mean that unless there’s a fairly sizeable swing in goal difference, (or Stourbridge lose their play off) we’re likely to have to play the play-off final away from home. And the super-playoff is likely to be an away trip to Warrington or South Shields; if we get that far.

No guarantee that we are even at home for the first playoff game yet, Alvechurch kept their name in the frame with a great result at Kettering yesterday although they too have still to go to Stourbridge, plus a home game to Coalville.  Personally think that had you offered this position to most in September we would have taken it so well done to IC and the squad (plus B&F) but lets not get ahead of ourselves, we are probably not to the standards of last year but, on our day, more than capable of beating anyone at this level.

Does anyone who went have a comment on how we lined up?  Bit of surprise on the live feed that Clunan was on the bench but was it a straight swap with Jones or did IC mix it up?

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
Tony, on the live feed it said Clunan had a toe injury so couldn't start

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:25:53 AM »
Tony, on the live feed it said Clunan had a toe injury so couldn't start

I thought the toe injury was Hawkins, not Clunan, although not sure on that one.    :dontknow:

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 01:56:58 PM »
Hi Tony, yes i went and there were 2 excellent performances 1st half , firstly Lynn with at least 75% possesion and secondly their keeper who well and truly kept them in the game. Even with the 1 goal on the break we thought we were still in the game. Second half, something in the half time tea? There was only one team going to win it and they did. We were nothing like the same team as the first half and credit to Banbury they did not allow us to be. Another difference was the subs. Their 2nd goalscorer was a real handful when he came on, the same could not be said for our subs.
Banbury kept their record of not losing at home to any top 6 side and second half although another breakaway late goal they IMO could of had more.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 05:33:01 PM »
Hi Tony, yes i went and there were 2 excellent performances 1st half , firstly Lynn with at least 75% possesion and secondly their keeper who well and truly kept them in the game. Even with the 1 goal on the break we thought we were still in the game. Second half, something in the half time tea? There was only one team going to win it and they did. We were nothing like the same team as the first half and credit to Banbury they did not allow us to be. Another difference was the subs. Their 2nd goalscorer was a real handful when he came on, the same could not be said for our subs.
Banbury kept their record of not losing at home to any top 6 side and second half although another breakaway late goal they IMO could of had more.

Thanks Gordon, can't think the last time we had a player come on and make a real impact off the bench, strange as the depth of squad is probably as strong as it has been since IC arrived but somehow (at home at least) players coming on have struggled to get into the game.  Bringing two lads on after an hour or so on Saturday should have given them a chance to get into the game, also have to question what Mellors-Blair has done wrong, he got a couple of starts when he first joined and now he is behind Limb in the pecking order, can't imagine either of them will be retained next year so personally can't see the harm in mixing them up if a change is needed.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »
Tony, I get the feeling Mellors-Blair is turning into another Kerins type signing.  Where was the lad playing before we signed him ?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 05:06:41 AM »
Tony, I get the feeling Mellors-Blair is turning into another Kerins type signing.  Where was the lad playing before we signed him ?
From what I've seen Mallard, Mellors-Blair is capable of making more impact than Kerins but also Limb so the limbo ( pun unintended) that he is currently in is a mystery to me too.
In Culverhouse we trust.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 08:50:03 AM »
I suspect that M-B's role is seen more as chance creator and Limb's as chance taker....given that there were chances aplenty at Banbury, Limb was introduced.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
I suspect that M-B's role is seen more as chance creator and Limb's as chance taker....given that there were chances aplenty at Banbury, Limb was introduced.
For Banbury perhaps but Mallard's post implied that Mellors-Blair is being left out in the cold more regularly, suggesting other issues.