Author Topic: Wivenhoe Town 2 Kings Lynn Town Res 2  (Read 9594 times)

Backie9

• View Profile
Wivenhoe Town 2 Kings Lynn Town Res 2
« on: February 23, 2016, 08:51:35 AM »
Saturday we made the one of longest journeys of the season to Wivenhoe and a team that had played 23 games, winning 20 and drawing 2, it was always going to be a very tough test for us but we went into the game with no fear and pressure, unfortunately we went behind early on in the game but we had a reshuffle of formation in the game and to be honest this was a master stroke by my assistant Curly, we then dominated big periods of the match and they couldn’t handle our front three of Gillies, Frohawk and Tansley. We soon equalised when Jack Frohawk held the ball up and passed for Craig Gillies to smash home the equaliser from just inside the box. Half time was much of the same and unlikely goal scorer Simon Bird put ahead with a shot from outside the box which went through the goalkeepers hands. In the last 5 minutes we could have made it 3-1 and the game would have been put to bed but Frohawks shot smashed off the crossbar. Wivenhoe then dominated in the last few minutes and a lack of concentration saw their striker nip in behind us from a corner and make it 2-2 and to keep their unbeaten record. To be honest after the game we all felt a bit deflated as we really deserved the three points but was a nice touch by the Wivenhoe fans when they clapped us off the pitch for our performance. Looking back it was really one of our best performances of the season and I couldn’t pick a man of match as all the lads put in a massive shift.
Hopefully we can get three points this evening and put the pressure back on Ely and Great Yarmouth who are definitely looking over their shoulders.

Pearson, Daw, Bird, Spittlehouse, Mcleish, White, Clunan A, Stannard, Frohawk, Gillies, Tansley.
Subs Used Setchell, Shipp, Mcquaid
Unused Gibson, Steward

Backie

rod

• View Profile
Re: Wivenhoe Town 2 Kings Lynn Town Res 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »
Thanks Backie.................A fantastic performance by the whole team and had there be any doubt it has illustrated that we can compete with the best in this league and have nothing to fear?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:42:25 AM »
Seemed a rather strong team that Backie put out last night against 3rd bottom Downham.  Was it a case of a lot of the normal Reserve team players were unavailable ?  Cannot see what was to be gained by playing Street, Edge, Hilliard,Mulready, Zielonka last night. Was There a 2nd keeper on the bench ?

GrahamB

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:07:40 AM »
I think they played last night in order to be eligible to play next week as "a reserve player" against Dereham

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:17 AM »
I see GB.  Is the idea to get the Reserves through to the final  by loading up in semi against Dereham and then letting the youngsters test themselves at Carrow Road against step 5 Norwich Utd/Gorleston ?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »
Most of the 1st team players who played last night also played against Wroxham, with the exception of Pedro all the others are squad players and its a chance for them to get a game. I also think this is another step in the right direction for the club where although Setch didn't want to enter the 1st team in the competition the club still want to do well and this seems a good way  of doing it. Pearson was on the bench. We also have Matty Castellan qualified to play. The back four also had Spits and Simon Bird rested with Whitey and Tom Mcleish playing centre back and Tom was captain. Exciting times for me.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »
Is Jack Frohawk injured?

GrahamB

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:51:08 AM »
Totally agree Tazz , use whatever means necessary to bring success could be a great night out at Carrow Road

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
Tazzy, did the half a dozen first squad members need to play last night to qualify to play in the next round of the Norfolk Senior Cup, as Graham B is suggesting or had they already pre-qualified ?

Be good to see the young ones run out at Carrow Road, as for some they might not get that opportunity again.

GrahamB

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
I think by the sounds of it they are already qualified , probably last night was a game for everyone to gel and to rest others.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »
I think they had to have played twice to qualify which accounts for some, also a game was given to Liam Fryatt and Dylan Edge who get little game time with the 1st team and both are youngsters, Dylan one of the youngest to play for the reserves let alone the 1st team. I do not know why Jack Frohawk was not in the squad but with so many forwards from the 1st team there wasn't any places available even having one playing left back. I don't know wether the reserve players were disappointed at not getting selected but I am sure that Setch and Backie picked the team for the good of the club and I totally agree with their selections. If we get past Dereham I think that a several of the 1st teamers playing last night will be in the squad. Looking back to what has happened in the past this integration of the teams should be applauded. It is terrific that Pedro WANTS to play in this team, although he is still young he is a very senior player at the club, he works hard with Luke Pearson and any other reserve keeper in the squad. Exciting times.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
Whilst I can why the club would like to win the NSC. As a decision was made from the outset to field a predominantly reserve team, I do feel very sorry for those that had been 'regulars' having to make way against Downham to accomodate a number of first team squad players............I wonder how they feel about it?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
I am sure some will be disappointed' and its good if they are, but hopefully they accept this is what the managers have decided is best for the club. If you look at the list of players who have made appearances for the Reserves we could field three teams, several have left and while in the past we have had a settled team this season Backie has switched the team round almost every game and we cannot argue with the results. If we keep the winning run going we will be fourth at least which is the highest we have been. Backie has also given several of the Youth team match time and obviously some of our regulars dip out, I haven't heard them moaning. It's the new set up where Setch and Backie are trying to fast track any youngsters that may be good enough for the first team, with two obvious success's in  Liam and Dylan. We have also seen some of the Reserves play for the first team and been offered money and turned it down because they are so happy to be playing for their local team and that's all that matters.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
Tazzy for someone you didn't want anywhere near the Club, it would appear the new 'Tinkerman'  has done a fine job.    Lets hope he can keep all of this years squad at the Club and some are not tempted away or leave for whatever reason. 

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 02:26:42 PM »
With the First team right in the thick of a play-off battle now and no midweek game prior to Saturday's important game at Leamington, I would imagine it's done some players no harm at all to play in a midweek game for the Reserves.

Toby for one had been expressing his frustrations about not being able to play with his injury whilst Sam had gone a few games without a goal. It's got minutes into both of them and probably done their confidence no harm.

I admit it is probably a little frustrating for some of the Reserve players but if we are going to have more integration between the teams at the club then this is something that can be made to work both ways.