Author Topic: Linnets secure runners up position.  (Read 3842 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Linnets secure runners up position.
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »
IF ( ok, a massive word here) we do make it through the play-offs, will be be sent North to replace Nuneaton or Sarf to replace Weston Super Mud ? Please let it be Sarf  :mystic:  The big issue will be all the Clubs relegated  from National League are Southern based so looks a big re-shuffling job on the cards.   Let’s not forget what happened to Lowestoft when they gained promotion to step 2.  Thier local Derby was.... Boston Utd

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 07:15:48 PM »
Bishop Stortford also placed in the North at one point I seem to remember? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »
Hereford to Blyth Spartans must be the best part of a 600 mile round trip.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »
Gloucester, Oxford City and Braintree are the front runners to be shifted north.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »
That’s interesting Robbo.  What criteria are they basing that on ?  Be amazed if they sent Braintree North instead of Kings Lynn.

IF we do get through the play-offs let’s hope it is South as it may have a massive, detrimental effect on our squad  not to mention the extra costs of travel, overnight stays etc if we are sent North. 

I am sure Stephen Cleeve has allowed for all eventualities IF we make it.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2019, 10:44:31 PM »
Have to agree. I can't see Braintree being put North if we're in the frame.

A local Derby against Boston would be nice!

If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 07:49:14 AM »
4 relegated national league premier clubs are all southern based, plus the Isthmian & Southern Premier winners plus the “super play off winners” from those 2 leagues can’t all go to national league south when only 3 (Farsley, Kettering & our super play off winners) will go North. Has to be some movement from the South to the North.

As Robbie said I can see both Oxford & Gloucester moving North.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
That’s a given Paul, has to be some movement.  I think the suggestion that Braintree are pushed into the North ahead of say us is just wishful thinking.  I would suggest IF we do make it through we are heading to the likes of Spennymoor, Blyth, Darlo, then across to Chester and down to Hereford.

I think the problem comes with the ‘labelling’ of North and South.  Or maybe there needs to a Central division added in at Step 2?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
I can see the concerns with the travelling, but lets not jump the gun, a possible 3 games before we need to worry about that.

mike20382

• Michael Robinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 11:57:06 AM »
Thought the vocal fans were excellent real noise all through the game. Shame they had to do all the way there on the coach. Us oldies could not sleep

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
I can see the concerns with the travelling, but lets not jump the gun, a possible 3 games before we need to worry about that.
I agree Mac. I can't believe we're discussing step 2 permutations before a play-off ball has been kicked. If I was the Stratford manager reading this, I'd use it in my pre-match team talk.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 05:35:57 PM »
In fairness Stan it is nothing more than 'terrace chatter' and not coming from the club itself, I can't see IC being that naive or disrespectful to Stratford and am sure when he sends the lads out on Wednesday evening they will have nothing more than the next 90 minutes on their mind, certainly not checking travelling distances or times to Warrington and/or South Shields as some of us may have been doing today!

Mallard, I assume your step 2 Central comment was tongue in cheek - the FA have managed to make step 3 so much better by adding a division and reducing travelling distances but now in truth we are in a much better position than we have been in previous seasons as there doesn't seem to be any doubt that if promotion were to be achieved we would be heading north and staying there (subject to remaining at step 2) for the foreseeable future. 

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »
For those that like maps (and Mallard) this is why Lynn would be north for a while at step 2, note the assumption is that promotion and relegation are based on league positions / points per game so currently it has South Shields progressing from the Super Playoff and appreciate there is still a lot that can change but here is nonleaguematters.co.uk forecast for step 2

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1ZqDcM_h0_2n4RgU0V6DdpUPlvJqposfB&ll=52.92884160088224%2C-1.254829099999938&z=7

For completeness and not to be accused of 'counting chickens', this is their prediction of step 3, case of winning some and losing some in terms of localish sides

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1KZIIDIx6SyFG_B6i1S_IyPAQzvz6Ou3-&ll=52.12023885629734%2C-0.6889209166103001&z=8

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 07:10:21 AM »
In fairness Stan it is nothing more than 'terrace chatter' and not coming from the club itself, I can't see IC being that naive or disrespectful to Stratford and am sure when he sends the lads out on Wednesday evening they will have nothing more than the next 90 minutes on their mind, certainly not checking travelling distances or times to Warrington and/or South Shields as some of us may have been doing today!

Mallard, I assume your step 2 Central comment was tongue in cheek - the FA have managed to make step 3 so much better by adding a division and reducing travelling distances but now in truth we are in a much better position than we have been in previous seasons as there doesn't seem to be any doubt that if promotion were to be achieved we would be heading north and staying there (subject to remaining at step 2) for the foreseeable future.
In fairness Tony, you've not really read my post carefully. At no point do I state or suggest that this is the club's attitude and it is patronising of you to suggest that I do. My post, which agreed with Mac, was more about suggesting that we keep things in perspective and not allow expectations to get out of hand. My post, in your terms is also "terrace talk" and surely all "terrace talk" is equal or are you suggesting that some "terrace talk" is more equal than others?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 09:29:12 AM »
Just looking ahead at the Possible significanance of any eventual outcome Stan.  I don’t think we have anything to fear from those we may face, whilst of course treating any opposition with respect.