Author Topic: Next season's squad ?  (Read 17452 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
Re: Next season's squad ?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »
Braintree?
What's the connection there?
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:12 PM »
Same level as now after being relegated from National League Premier.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
Back to the idea that the next league will be more “physical”.....  It’s not that the North May be more physical than the South, or vice-versa.  My point is that the higher the league the more physical is not true, IMHO.  In general, I believe the teams in higher leagues are there because they are better players.  Might seem obvious, but neither us nor other promoted teams need to “toughen” the side, we’ll need to improve it......  and that’s no disrespect to the fine group we have at present.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2019, 06:36:04 PM »
In every League there will be teams that are more physical than others - Leeds Utd of old, Wimbledon of old were two of those who were known as "Dirty". Some of those clubs who we saw at The Walks last season could throw their weight about - some were downright thugs.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
In every League there will be teams that are more physical than others - Leeds Utd of old, Wimbledon of old were two of those who were known as "Dirty". Some of those clubs who we saw at The Walks last season could throw their weight about - some were downright thugs.

Being a teenager in the 70's, I still hate Leeds!!!!!

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2019, 07:01:56 AM »

Me too, although they could play as well as bully.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 07:09:30 AM »

Me too, although they could play as well as bully.

I think the only people who didn't hate Leeds were their own supporters. :sad:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »
I lived in Leeds in the early 80's and went to Elland Road a number of times in the season they got relegated.....I especially remember them losing at home to Liverpool .......some of their 'fans'.........'nasty' and 'vicious' wouldn't cover it. A nil nil home draw v Middlesbrough the same season is the worst 90 mins I have ever seen anywhere.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
Back in the 70s all Teams has an ‘enforcer’

Liverpool Tommy Smith
Arsenal. Peter Story
Chelsea. Chopper Harris

Even Norwich had one in Trevor Hockey.

Leeds of course had 3... Hunter, Giles and Bremner. Is it any wonder everyone hated them.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
They also had Joe Jordan, Jack Charlton, Terry Cooper , Paul Madeley...not many cultured feet amongst that lot...(bit of finesse from Giles, Clarke and Lorimer).....but then they were the days of heavy northern pitches, heavy balls and legitimate sliding tackles and flailing arms...its a different game these days..even in Conference North !

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
What used to be known as an “enforcer” when he was in your team was known as a thug who should be sent off if he was an opponent.  Now, in the modern era, the “physical game” doesn’t really exist because you’ll never see a player pick himself up with a smile on his face and congratulate the player who almost broke his leg for his expert piece of “enforcement” !  Whereas you might do if it were really part of the game.....BTW, on Leeds of old, I can still remember their brilliant 27 pass movement against ? in another mauling - and Eddie Gray was Poetry !  Obviously this is a game of opinions !

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
What used to be known as an “enforcer” when he was in your team was known as a thug who should be sent off if he was an opponent.  Now, in the modern era, the “physical game” doesn’t really exist because you’ll never see a player pick himself up with a smile on his face and congratulate the player who almost broke his leg for his expert piece of “enforcement” !  Whereas you might do if it were really part of the game.....BTW, on Leeds of old, I can still remember their brilliant 27 pass movement against ? in another mauling - and Eddie Gray was Poetry !  Obviously this is a game of opinions !

Against Southampton. Leeds ran out 7-0 winners.

There have been numerous other games where the figure of 27 passes has been bettered. For example Liverpool achieved 51 against Bournemouth, but were also on the wrong end of 29 consecutive passes against Barcelona.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 05:21:00 PM »

Is that the same C Jones who 3 current Premier League clubs are interested in signing?

Jefferson airplane, blimey that’s going back.
 Maybe we will have an A Jones at Right back and a C Jones at left back. He won’t have to travel far up the A47 either.
Its certainly a lot closer than Eastbourne, so that's got to be in our favour!

We might be closer but just joined Eastbourne, according to online reports.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 05:39:58 PM »

Is that the same C Jones who 3 current Premier League clubs are interested in signing?

Maybe we will have an A Jones at Right back and a C Jones at left back. He won’t have to travel far up the A47 either.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/city-defender-set-for-first-taste-of-loan-action-1-6082650

Seems strange given IC's connections and how much the lad could learn from him plus you would have thought our 'reputation' of trying to get the ball down and play would have been the perfect fit if he was going to drop down to a step 2 non-league side.  Maybe Neil Adams is one of those who thinks the North is more physical, I don't see it myself but would still be interested to know the thinking behind the loan, if he was with us he could still train some days with the Norwich u23s.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 05:44:33 PM »

https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/city-defender-set-for-first-taste-of-loan-action-1-6082650

Seems strange given IC's connections and how much the lad could learn from him plus you would have thought our 'reputation' of trying to get the ball down and play would have been the perfect fit if he was going to drop down to a step 2 non-league side.  Maybe Neil Adams is one of those who thinks the North is more physical, I don't see it myself but would still be interested to know the thinking behind the loan, if he was with us he could still train some days with the Norwich u23s.
Is he a left sided player?