Author Topic: Next season's squad ?  (Read 19940 times)

Linnet1993

• View Profile
Re: Next season's squad ?
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
Thought Stewart looked out of his depth in the southern central, granted it was under Clark but I would be shocked to see him do anything at this level.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
 :farmer: I am happy with the way KLTFC seem to have started building for next season and beyond.  Matters on the pitch seem to being taken care of by Mr.Cleeve and Mr. CULVERHOUSE, the work on the ground seems to be planned and ready to roll into action, there is better communication coming from within towards the fans and Mr Cleeve seems to be interacting with the trust now.Looking forward to the new season now.👍🤟

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »
Got to think Tony that the 4 coming in ( including the returning Stewart ) are better than the players leaving (FBT excluded of course from that).  Then again if there is a couple more coming in then it stands to reason that maybe the likes of Stewart and Carey could be farmed our on loan.  No point in those lads coming in from step 5 to play at Step 6 for The Reserves.

I also feel the same about Limb who added nothing at step 3 so retaining him once promotion was secured seems a very strange decision.

I'd assume the Limb one would be because he's on a hefty amount, so instead of having to pay out his contract, you may as well keep him and hope either he kicks on because the ability is in there, or a club will be happy to take him on loan and pay part of his wages. No point shelling out a big amount to release him, to effectively get a back up striker for the time being who could be a dud. Gash/Marriot got injured for a spell, then things might change.

Feel a CB is all that's required. Likely a RB too if Burrows doesn't commit.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2019, 06:09:11 PM »
Got to think Tony that the 4 coming in ( including the returning Stewart ) are better than the players leaving (FBT excluded of course from that).  Then again if there is a couple more coming in then it stands to reason that maybe the likes of Stewart and Carey could be farmed our on loan.  No point in those lads coming in from step 5 to play at Step 6 for The Reserves.

I also feel the same about Limb who added nothing at step 3 so retaining him once promotion was secured seems a very strange decision.

I'd assume the Limb one would be because he's on a hefty amount, so instead of having to pay out his contract, you may as well keep him and hope either he kicks on because the ability is in there, or a club will be happy to take him on loan and pay part of his wages. No point shelling out a big amount to release him, to effectively get a back up striker for the time being who could be a dud. Gash/Marriot got injured for a spell, then things might change.

\

Ross Barrows has agreed terms with the club  for next season.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »

\

\

That's good news.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
I guess the question is Tony are we looking at next season in isolation or looking to the future as well as the present?  I would suggest with the advent of the new academy and young signings coming in from lower level then IC and SC are looking at the longer term.

I think it may be difficult to bring in ‘better’ than we have unless there is a steep increase in budget.  Where does that money come from?  I know you are very much one for living within our means. So the MO of brining in younger players to improve has to be one way forward.

I appreciate we need to look longer term, but where do we plan on the 1st team being in that longer term?  We don't have a great recent history either on or off the field at step 2 so I would worry about any plan that banked on us being there long term without some fairly clear short term actions around staying at that level in the first instance.  Personally think the signings smack as much of 'speculation' as they do of investing in the future and not sure that is the right model - for every FBT there are plenty that don't go on and being saddled with a multi year contract at our level doesn't make great business sense.

I also appreciate the budget constraints but admission prices are going up, the commercial side looks better than this time last year albeit still with a fair way to go to be suitable for a step 2 operation but the playing squad doesn't really look to have been improved to any extent.  My fear is that the gap between steps 2 and 3 is that bit wider than was previously the case and there may be an element of kidding ourselves that everything is going to be OK with what we have especially as IC is quoted on the club website that we are only looking to "bring in one, or possibly two, more signings before pre-season". 

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
Personally I'd like to see another centre back come in, that's the obvious place we're short at the moment.

Maybe another striker, although it's difficult to bring in a step 2 quality striker knowing they would be 3rd choice behind Gash & Marriott.

Overall happy with the business so far.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2019, 02:47:08 PM »
Same would apply with a centre back wouldn't it ? 3rd choice behind Mc Cauley and Fryatt ?
That's why I think a utility player who can get stuck in and play central defender, defensive midfield or at a push target man, would be the way forward.
Squad doesn't look a lot stronger than last year, picking up on Tony's post, perhaps with the exception of Kelly on the wing and some young legs in the middle.
However, I think it is right that we stick with the current core squad that has got us this far. The likes of Hawkins and Limb have a chance to really stake a claim at this level......and they will need to, to be part of the setup going forward. I personally think they will do well.
I think this current squad will be competitive at step 2. I suspect the top 5/6 will be tough to play and will ask serious questions, but I think Lynn will be fine.
I suspect IC will tinker with the squad as and when it becomes necessary.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2019, 02:54:19 PM »
I also believe the first 6 or so league games will be important....a few points on the board earlydoors and a bit of momentum would be just the ticket....will keep the attendances and expectations high.... hopefully the fixture list will be kind...we could do without many of the big hitters away in the first half dozen games.
I think Lynn will surprise a lot of people this coming season......a settled squad, full of confidence, with a top manager at the helm.....been a while since that was the case.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
The "Special One" that is Ian Culverhouse will inspire, cajole and develop the team who we are fortunate to have. The nucleus of last season's fantastic team are still here and with the incoming strength we will be a force to be reckoned with. Teams "Oop North" will be in for a shock. Lynn are going to be pushing for a Play-Off position.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »
 It would be nice Mike :comeon:

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2019, 04:14:08 PM »
The "Special One" that is Ian Culverhouse will inspire, cajole and develop the team who we are fortunate to have. The nucleus of last season's fantastic team are still here and with the incoming strength we will be a force to be reckoned with. Teams "Oop North" will be in for a shock. Lynn are going to be pushing for a Play-Off position.
:banghead;  :red card: There are some massive clubs in non league terms in this league, York, Chester, Darlington, Boston,Hereford,AFC Telford to name but a few,many being ex football league clubs, I really feel we must learn to walk in this league before we run. This is the highest level of football that any Lynn football team has ever played, and I agree we need to be aiming for the top 6, but this will be a very difficult task, we really need to see where we stand in terms of strength of squad after say 10 games before we make any rash predictions. There are going to be teams out there with a lot healthier playing budget than we could imagine having, therefore we put our faith in Mr Culverhouse to find and coach those unfound gems we need to carry this club forward. Here's hoping for a great season. :cheers:  :farmer:  :oldman"

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2019, 06:14:28 PM »
This is the highest level of football that any Lynn football team has ever played
I think the highest level was when the club were professional in the mid to late 50s and applying for membership to the football league.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
:banghead;  :red card: There are some massive clubs in non league terms in this league, York, Chester, Darlington, Boston,Hereford,AFC Telford to name but a few,many being ex football league clubs, I really feel we must learn to walk in this league before we run. This is the highest level of football that any Lynn football team has ever played, and I agree we need to be aiming for the top 6, but this will be a very difficult task, we really need to see where we stand in terms of strength of squad after say 10 games before we make any rash predictions. There are going to be teams out there with a lot healthier playing budget than we could imagine having, therefore we put our faith in Mr Culverhouse to find and coach those unfound gems we need to carry this club forward. Here's hoping for a great season. :cheers:  :farmer:  :oldman"

Not sure why the Banghead and Red Card  :dontknow:

Just my opinion.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »
Absolutely Mike...a good positive opinion. Whilst we need to be realistic we also need to be really positive, passionate and fervent.....The Walks needs to be a cauldron next season...sides have a long way to come to play Lynn and won't relish it, if we get off to a good start. There are a few "big names", but they are in this league for a reason and we certainly shouldn't be over respectful of them. COYL