Author Topic: Next season's squad ?  (Read 20581 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Next season's squad ?
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
KES. Has Limb featured in any pre season games so far ?

I see Charlie Congreve played for Holbeach last night.  Has he left or just gone out on loan ?

Charlie played for Lynn Reserves against Wisbech on Saturday, maybe just helping Holbeach out for the evening?

According to someone I spoke to at Needham game on Saturday Harry is ill, suffering with some sort of virus.

Thanks Paul for the updates.  You should join the Clubs media team.

The young Keeper is certainly getting the games in Stamford, Lynn Res and now Holbeach.  I wonder if the plan is getting out on loan another season with the Reserves or on the first team bench ?  Though I guess Bastock could be in the way with that one.

Have to feel for young Harry Limb, nothing has gone right for the lad since he joined us. I guess we may go with Toby as back-up to Gash etc.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2019, 06:38:28 PM »
If we play 3 4 1 2,  I would think it would be in games against the top 5 eg York away. With such a formation you have Jones, Clunan, Richards, Carey, Jarvis and Henderson all fighting for 2 spots and Henderson, Richards, Carey, Hawkins and Kelly for the place behind the front two.
Against the likes of Farsley, Curzon, Guiseley, Gloucester,Leamington, Kettering I hope we go with the old diamond formation, certainly at home.
In terms of a back up striker we have Stewart and Limb in the squad and Hendo and Hawkins might also perform that role.
This is the year for Limb or Stewart to make a break through.
Given the defence now has decent cover and the midfield is bulging, a striker might be the final signing......?
Certainly will be a season where most if not all of the squad, play their part at some stage.

I think 3-4-1-2 is probably our most attacking formation and even against some of the 'lesser' teams at step 2 just don't think we will have the personnel to play the diamond.  Also not sure I would agree with your options - Henderson isn't an option for me as one of the central 2 and would be happier seeing Jones as one of the wide players, yes the 'no 10' slot does have options but again most of those you have listed would also be in consideration for either of the wide berths.

Sorry but can realistically only see Limb and/or Stewart making a breakthrough out on loan at step 4 and don't understand if you think otherwise why you think the final signing should be a striker?  Would be nice if IC could find someone but would you really want a 'Mellors-Blair' type player warming the bench any more than Toby?  I think finances may well dictate if (and where) we could strengthen but opportunities may arise as clubs above us trim their squads as we get closer to the start of the season.

Would like to see IC go with his starting line up for the last couple of pre-season games, we need to hit the season running and whilst its good to look at options in both personnel and formations early points and confidence could prove key to how the season goes.

It must be difficult to get a real quality striker in to sit in the bench.  Finance would be one issue and finding a player to bench sit most of the season would be another.  So if Toby is the back up option then I guess thatís understandable.  At least IC will know the lad wants to be there and will give it his all when called upon.  Plus I would suggest he would be relatively inexpensive.

Not sure Tony that I would want IC to play is preferred starting 11 in the next 2 games.  Giving players 3 games in the peak of summer might be asking a bit much.  We need the players fresh and hungry in the third one of these games.  Itís a long old season.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
It must be difficult to get a real quality striker in to sit in the bench.  Finance would be one issue and finding a player to bench sit most of the season would be another.  So if Toby is the back up option then I guess thatís understandable.  At least IC will know the lad wants to be there and will give it his all when called upon.  Plus I would suggest he would be relatively inexpensive.
All the reasons I would rather see Toby there, its going to be a long season for Gash but can't see that we can afford to have his equal on the bench and if he does break down then we would have to tackle the issue then with the possibility of looking at the loan market too.

Not sure Tony that I would want IC to play is preferred starting 11 in the next 2 games.  Giving players 3 games in the peak of summer might be asking a bit much.  We need the players fresh and hungry in the third one of these games.  Itís a long old season.
Not suggesting they play the full 90 in either game but last night's second half didn't really serve any purpose as we swapped personnel and shape so if, for example Fox is going to be the plan A on the left then I would start him in the next two games, if not then don't.  The next two games will also be against much harder teams so would expect a 'proper test' and for me that means getting a settled 11 with maybe a bit of tinkering second half as part of managing workloads.  I remain to be convinced that we genuinely have a squad capable at step 2 so am nervous when people talk about rotating players throughout the season but I guess 8 games in August will be the test of that.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
Iím sure Tony that IC will play his preferred starting 11 at some point during each of  the next two games.  Might be the start, middle or last 3rd.  The test will be to spot it.  :laughcry:

I think the total is greater than the sum of the parts with the team we have.  I donít think we should under estimate what Culverhouse brings to the party.  I donít see us in the top 8 but donít see us in the bottom third either.  Think this year will be the equivalent of a fact finding mission for all.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2019, 10:08:14 PM »
Well football is a game of opinions isn't it ?

Just for the record (not that it means much cos I C will make the decisions), but I find myself unable to agree with much of your post Tony .......for example don't see having a three as being our most attacking option and would have thought the system the squad is currently most comfortable with, will serve them best early doors WHEN it is possible to use it. As I have said before defensive cover is a concern against the best teams and I C appears concerned about the "transition"/counter as it keeps being mentioned, implying to me that he is looking for the midfield to cover more quickly.....if you are playing wing backs and encouraging them to bomb up the field, expecting them to turn in an instance and bomb back is unrealistic, so that must fall on other people's shoulders...if there are only 2 in the middle then to my way of thinking the system doesn't work....hence why I believe IC will use the diamond some of the time and a three in other matches.
I also feel we will see the preferred Guiseley starting line up v Braintree, but many will be rested for Charlton..........the fixtures in August are so tough in terms of number........Sat,Tues, most weeks.

Re the striker...I put that as a question mark, partly in response to Mallard's post, where he suggests it..... Limb and Stewart have a chance to stake a claim this year....if they don't make the grade this season, they could be loaned out and someone else brought in. I personally don't think Hilliard is the answer long term, but since IC has said he is likely to bring one more in, I think it unlikely we would bring a really experienced striker in at this stage and loan out Limb and Stewart, without giving them a go.....so ....?

Btw I do see Lynn in the top8....just.

Blueboy

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2019, 10:22:43 PM »
Gash was brought in at the last moment 2 seasons ago, so wouldn't be surprised if IC has something up his sleeve.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »
Fair enough KES80, will have to agree to disagree and we all see different things when we watch games / players anyway. 

Personally think top 8 is fantasy if the league is anything like the standard it was the last time we were at step 2, I also think last year was a difficult one to gauge a teams strength by with the dilution of step 3 (I didn't think any of Lynn's playoff opponents were as anywhere near as strong as Weymouth, Kettering and Slough from the season before).  Personally I will be happy if we can avoid being in the bottom half dozen throughout our first season at step 2 for a while and a mid table finish would be success for me.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »
Hi Tony,
One thing we completely agree on is that the start will really be important and set the tone.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
I feel a strong home record will be a must for us this season.  Which is achievable.  Last season teams came to The Walks happy to take a point and with limited ambitions as an attacking force.  This season I think teams from this higher League will be far more attack minded. Which should help us, in the way we play.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
After the 1st game against Guisley we have two Home games against "Old Foes" Kettering and Hereford.

It would be great to give Kettering a real bashing and this may be a possibility as I hear they have lost a few key players.

Hereford also need reminding that we can give them a bloody nose. Putting Toby Hilliard on the bench for Hereford would give them something to think about after his goals against them.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 26, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
That wonít happen WLM

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 26, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »
That wonít happen WLM

That's a shame.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
Maybe he is at an age where he wants to play every week rather than sat on the bench dealing in scraps

Toby Hilliard signs for Dereham

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2019, 07:16:42 PM »
If Toby has not signed, and with Limb ill and has not done a  pre season, should we expect a new striker to be signed?
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2019, 09:31:52 PM »
Good move for Toby. Should do well there. If Iím being honest step 3/4 is the right level for him.