Author Topic: Reserves  (Read 1023 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Reserves
« on: May 22, 2019, 02:25:42 PM »
How do people see the Reserves fitting into the scheme of things, I wonder......now 4 steps between them and first team and with no prospect of promotion unless there is a name change ?

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Reserves
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:50:13 PM »
Maybe we will use the loan market to get players out there to bridge the gap.  Didnít we have 4 out on loan last season ?

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:44:24 PM »
With the greatest respect to the reserve team players and coaching staff I personally don't see a lot of point to having a reserve team anymore, no "young uns" were deemed good enough by IC to even make the bench last season so I see even less chance for them now we are playing at a higher level.
Does make me question his statement of wanting to bring through and develop young home grown players or is it that they are just not good enough ?

:scarf:
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
Would be good if they were able to compete for promotion, but I guess this conversation has been had before...ie reserve teams can't compete above a certain level and any name / team structure change requires possibly dropping lower before climbing. Will be interesting to see how things pan out once The Academy is up and running.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:43:36 PM »
Think guys we have to look at the bigger picture with the Reserves and the Academy.  It might take a few years to get players filtering through.  Once they reach a certain standard maybe we will look to loan players out to step 4/5 Clubs to bring them on even further.  It is a conveyor belt and yeah ok, we wonít get 3/4 players coming through every year but if we get 1/2 then that is a success rate.

Think back a few years to the Man Utd youth that produced all those great players out of one group. 6/7 players who went on to play international Football.  Ok, that was extreme but it shows what can be done.

Iím not suggesting we will be producing International standard players but more players who can force their way into our first team squad.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
The reserve downward structure is vital to this Town's football! The Community football, Elite football, Youth and Reserves give our kids a dream to aspire to!! Not only that when this 1st Team financial fiasco meets its nadir, this community will be left to pick up the pieces as the protagonists of this venture disappear, not to be seen again!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 10:15:33 AM »
Nice positive Friday morning post Frontman. :glum:   Why not just enjoy the ride and watch the quality of the football.  Like most things in life, no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
ENJOY THE RIDE!!
That's the trouble with the ride; some poor sods never get paid when insolvency / bankruptcy arrive! I'm a pragmatist and believe in business that has more income than expenditure!!  Seen 6 events like this since 1960, and who picked up the pieces!! Care for the Clubs wellbeing and existence is crucial, or back to the United Counties again!!

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »
ENJOY THE RIDE!!
That's the trouble with the ride; some poor sods never get paid when insolvency / bankruptcy arrive! I'm a pragmatist and believe in business that has more income than expenditure!!  Seen 6 events like this since 1960, and who picked up the pieces!! Care for the Clubs wellbeing and existence is crucial, or back to the United Counties again!!

The boom and bust cycle is why Iíd rather any FBT dividend goes into investing in the ground, rather than subsidising this years playing budget, to provide a tangible long term benefit to the club. Especially in a season where promotion is unlikely, and only 2 teams are getting relegated.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
 I will apologise in advance, if I offend anyone.......it is unusual for me to go off on one, but some of this negativity is tedious.....Given grants are available for much of the work it would surely be senseless to spend the money on that. Without someone like SC fans would never get to experience this standard of football and excitement. Left to its own devices the club could probably manage Eastern Counties or a step higher at best..... so if it ever should come crashing down you would be back to that level anyway. Given the amount of time and money the Chairman has put in together with the great efforts from all the people he employs, I really do feel its time for people's fears and anxieties to be put aside while this journey is happening.....just enjoy the fact that Lynn may actually progress and play at a really good level.
It seems to me, some people would be happy with a no risk strategy, play at step 6 in front of 200or 300 and just stagnate for a life time.....enjoy the local derby with Yarmouth and Swaffham and coiff the odd jar at half time, while moaning about everything that could be better and doing damn all about it

That is the scenario for an unprogressive large village/small town team I M O and sadly that reflects the mindset of many in West Norfolk...too afraid to stick their heads above the parapet and get things done and always unsettled by change......not surprised it has taken the energy of a number from outside the area, along with some very good, positive and dedicated local people to get things moving........

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 01:24:46 PM »
I will apologise in advance, if I offend anyone.......it is unusual for me to go off on one, but some of this negativity is tedious.....Given grants are available for much of the work it would surely be senseless to spend the money on that. Without someone like SC fans would never get to experience this standard of football and excitement. Left to its own devices the club could probably manage Eastern Counties or a step higher at best..... so if it ever should come crashing down you would be back to that level anyway. Given the amount of time and money the Chairman has put in together with the great efforts from all the people he employs, I really do feel its time for people's fears and anxieties to be put aside while this journey is happening.....just enjoy the fact that Lynn may actually progress and play at a really good level.
It seems to me, some people would be happy with a no risk strategy, play at step 6 in front of 200or 300 and just stagnate for a life time.....enjoy the local derby with Yarmouth and Swaffham and coiff the odd jar at half time, while moaning about everything that could be better and doing damn all about it

That is the scenario for an unprogressive large village/small town team I M O and sadly that reflects the mindset of many in West Norfolk...too afraid to stick their heads above the parapet and get things done and always unsettled by change......not surprised it has taken the energy of a number from outside the area, along with some very good, positive and dedicated local people to get things moving........

:comeon:

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 01:26:20 PM »

Good post. Totally agree.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 01:44:51 PM »

Excellent post  :clap: :clap:
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 02:06:16 PM »

No need to apologise for a genuine post, in the interests of balance I would take issue with a couple of points.  My view is probably closer to Frontmans although that doesn't mean any of us want the club to stagnate or play at step 6 - absolutely no reason for that if the club is well run imo.  People who are concerned about the longer term are not just being negative, I for one never want to stand on a terrace feeling the way I did that night against Retford. 

I don't doubt that SC has thrown loads of money at 'the problem' that is KLFC and we have seen some damn good football in the past two seasons but for me that doesn't justify the debt that the club is now saddled with.  Next season is a real worry for some of us, while its great to go up a level there are some real fundamental cost increases that I just can't see being covered other than directly from SC, the issues around the upgrading required to the ground are small beer in comparison and history has shown us that this sort of one-man, unsustainable 'benefactor' model tends to end in tears.  There may still be time to set things up for a more financially stable future and SC did start to make more positive noises in that direction in his programme notes towards the end of the season and I would like to think the possibility of working with the Trust on the ground upgrading could be the start of a new partnership where trust is built up on both sides.  I for one am not unsettled by change, I just hope it comes quickly enough.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 02:37:59 PM »

No need to apologise for a genuine post, in the interests of balance I would take issue with a couple of points.  My view is probably closer to Frontmans although that doesn't mean any of us want the club to stagnate or play at step 6 - absolutely no reason for that if the club is well run imo.  People who are concerned about the longer term are not just being negative, I for one never want to stand on a terrace feeling the way I did that night against Retford. 

I don't doubt that SC has thrown loads of money at 'the problem' that is KLFC and we have seen some damn good football in the past two seasons but for me that doesn't justify the debt that the club is now saddled with.  Next season is a real worry for some of us, while its great to go up a level there are some real fundamental cost increases that I just can't see being covered other than directly from SC, the issues around the upgrading required to the ground are small beer in comparison and history has shown us that this sort of one-man, unsustainable 'benefactor' model tends to end in tears.  There may still be time to set things up for a more financially stable future and SC did start to make more positive noises in that direction in his programme notes towards the end of the season and I would like to think the possibility of working with the Trust on the ground upgrading could be the start of a new partnership where trust is built up on both sides.  I for one am not unsettled by change, I just hope it comes quickly enough.

A well balanced and sensible post. Well said!  :scarf: