Author Topic: Kings Lynn Reserves  (Read 3071 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Kings Lynn Reserves
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
All fair points KES80.  With promotion the gap down to the reserves is now too wide and with the new academy starting in September that has to be one of the main priorities for the club.  I guess it then depends on the level of games the academy can compete at as to how you then find suitable 'adult' football for those players and those that little bit older who might still be on the radar of the first team.  Personally I think loans to various local sides are a more viable option, yes it takes a bit more organisation and management, but probably a better way to develop individual players, in the way Natty Stewart and Harry Limb were sent out last season rather than trying to run another side that has very little relevance to the first team. 

If someone wanted to go through all the hassle of setting up a King's Lynn based team to compete in the Thurlow Nunn then I am sure the club would gladly look to loan players there but the focus of what is still a very limited infrastructure has to be on the first team and academy.

As for the current Wisbech move for the reserves this season, it smacks as a bit of an afterthought and I certainly wouldn't have thought this is anything more than a short term solution

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2019, 02:17:51 PM »
Some good points there Tony, certainly wouldn't disagree with any of the points you make

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2019, 03:16:32 PM »
Will this deal with Wisbech also see IC taking training there as well ?  Wisbech are not flush with money so a few loaners from Lynn  might also smooth the path.  Maybe Wisbech will be one Lynn’s ‘nursery’. 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
Nope wouldn't have thought so ...IC has limited time and will need to devote it to 1st team and Academy. As far as I am aware he doesn't get involved with Reserves...why would he ? Think you are misreading the purpose of Reserves playing at Wisbech Mallard my friend.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
KES Matey I was meaning the first team training at Wisbech.  I seem to recall when IC was with us the first time Wisbech was where we trained.  As they are looking to protect the pitch at The Walks and the new Academy will be using it throughout the week then will the First team have to train elsewhere.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2019, 06:52:06 PM »
Aha Mallard..my apologies.
Suppose that's a possible but if their pitch is being used once or twice every week for matches, plus Wisbech training on it, I wouldn't have thought it would take Lynn training on it also.
Quite surprised Lynn Ressies might use on  Friday and then Wisbech day after.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2019, 09:06:58 PM »
Aha Mallard..my apologies.
Suppose that's a possible but if their pitch is being used once or twice every week for matches, plus Wisbech training on it, I wouldn't have thought it would take Lynn training on it also.
Quite surprised Lynn Ressies might use on  Friday and then Wisbech day after.

I thought Wisbech had a separate training pitch.  :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
They have a 2nd pitch there.  Not sure if the lights are able to be switched around.  I know Dereham have that capability with their lights and training pitch.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
Sorry Mallard, your post makes much more sense in the light of the 2nd pitch...apologies for my ignorance......am aware of the facilities at Dereham....pleasantly surprised that Wisbech have something similar.....presumably someone has asked the council on the viability of a training area in the Walks just outside of the ground

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2019, 12:05:17 AM »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3A1TT3kwIY

Can you imagine the uproar if you brought one and didn't get one free,the amount of lawsuits against Safestyle for misrepresentation? So splash out on a season ticket at the walks and not only do you get into the Walks stadium do watch the first team,but we throw in free entry to under 18s and reserve games,just to sweeten the cost. Only now you have to spend probably more than £5 to watch the reserves for free,and if you have to drive then no matchday beer for you! So as it is misrepresentation should all season ticket holders demand a refund because over a season it is costing them more than paying on the gate?
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2019, 12:24:08 AM »
Could you imagine if you went into the George and the offer was buy your main meal and get a free dessert,but you have to have the dessert in the Red Lion in Swaffham? ( Other hostelries are available). :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Chilvers Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:54 AM »
All fair points KES80.  With promotion the gap down to the reserves is now too wide and with the new academy starting in September that has to be one of the main priorities for the club.  I guess it then depends on the level of games the academy can compete at as to how you then find suitable 'adult' football for those players and those that little bit older who might still be on the radar of the first team.  Personally I think loans to various local sides are a more viable option, yes it takes a bit more organisation and management, but probably a better way to develop individual players, in the way Natty Stewart and Harry Limb were sent out last season rather than trying to run another side that has very little relevance to the first team. 

If someone wanted to go through all the hassle of setting up a King's Lynn based team to compete in the Thurlow Nunn then I am sure the club would gladly look to loan players there but the focus of what is still a very limited infrastructure has to be on the first team and academy.

As for the current Wisbech move for the reserves this season, it smacks as a bit of an afterthought and I certainly wouldn't have thought this is anything more than a short term solution
How can EIGHT yes EIGHT signings be classed as an ACADEMY. at that rate they will play in a Lynnsport 5 a side league. Yet another Whim.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »
Is that a fact that they only have eight signed up ? How can they play games without using kids from other places or bringing in some of younger Reserve team places on an ad hoc basis.

Surely Ian Culverhouse won’t want to put his name to this ?

Chilly are you still sponsoring the Reserves next season ?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2019, 02:29:57 PM »

How can EIGHT yes EIGHT signings be classed as an ACADEMY. at that rate they will play in a Lynnsport 5 a side league. Yet another Whim.

If eight is the number signed up then yes that is disappointing and I guess it would always be a struggle in year 1, but I am not sure the idea of an academy is just a whim, many clubs at step 3 and 2 have gone down this route so maybe it's just more an acceptance of the current footballing landscape.  That said my preference would have been for the club to have properly linked up with CoWA as that would surely be in the interests of both the player's academic and footballing education in the way DESA seems to work for Dereham FC. however, I guess SC thought the club could keep more of the cash by going down the independent model.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2019, 03:47:38 PM »
It seems to be the way many are moving forward. I see it more of a long term thing and not a whim. I would have thought (if its not already being done) that some scouting should be done at the local schools and colleges. I can remember when I was at KES there would be scouts at our matches (can remember a Norfolk schools guy and a guy from Peterboro) in attendance looking at one or two of our guys when we were at home to Boston Grammar.