Author Topic: Kings Lynn Reserves  (Read 4078 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Kings Lynn Reserves
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »
Looks to me like there will be greater emphasis on the scholarship and under 18 system..(u18s still playing at Walks) in an attempt to unearth and develop talent that can make it at step 2 and above.
The difficulty with the Reserves is that they are now 4 steps below the 1st team, so it's a huge ask for someone to jump the widening gap. The club need any youth set up to be a genuine feeder for the 1st team. At least this way there is a vehicle for step 5/6 talent which may also be able to tie in with the Wisbech set up.........it has to be preferable to losing the Reserves completely.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 10:31:52 PM »
I wonder what that means for the scholarship too. The kids have been told they will be training and playing games on the walks pitch. I guess they will be moved elsewhere too?

I wonder if rather this announcement is linked to the scholarship kids training and playing on the walks pitch.

A good question LL, that some have been asking since the Scholarship program was announced. To many it comes as no surprise that Reserves are not playing at Walks next season, but they may be surprised at the choice of venue.   :dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 10:36:45 PM »
Looks to me like there will be greater emphasis on the scholarship and under 18 system..(u18s still playing at Walks) in an attempt to unearth and develop talent that can make it at step 2 and above.
The difficulty with the Reserves is that they are now 4 steps below the 1st team, so it's a huge ask for someone to jump the widening gap. The club need any youth set up to be a genuine feeder for the 1st team. At least this way there is a vehicle for step 5/6 talent which may also be able to tie in with the Wisbech set up.........it has to be preferable to losing the Reserves completely.
Seems to me, they are already lost.
Not playing at the home of the club, or even in the town.
Where is any real affiliation now? :dontknow:

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »
Also very bad timing to wait until people had got season tickets on the premise that they could watch reserve games free? How many people who got season tickets thinking that was a good deal will now view it differently? Many thought the season tickets were expensive,but the lure of free reserve games softened the blow, can't see many travelling to watch at Wisbech,this means that if you miss two home games this season you have saved nothing! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 01:12:51 AM »
Fortunately, I have not yet purchased my season ticket.
Seems little value in it now. :glum:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 07:37:21 AM »
Would it not make more sense for Lynn Reserves to drop to The Anglian Combination ?  It is only one level lower than The Thurlow Div One, but the ground standard requirements are much less.  They could then play at Lynn Sport or some such venue.

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 07:45:21 AM »
All about £££ im afraid, totally agree with the saving the surface for the first team but to jump the u18s in place is rather a slap in the face for the ressies :dontknow:  I guess mr cleeve had to honour his promise to the academy side of playing on the walks....... :nilpoints:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 08:01:26 AM »
This seems to be the modern way....an academy /u18s/u23 side instead of a "reserve side".
Last season, with the postponements, kind of indicated that the Reserves may not be at The Walks going forward.
Maybe as time moves on there will be a subtle name change to allow the team freedom of movement within the leagues and a continued slackening of the link with the first team/club.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 09:02:34 AM »
AFC United of King's Lynn  :dontknow:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2019, 09:14:20 AM »
Sporting Lynn FC (if they eventually end up at Lynn Sport) or Lynn Wanderers (if they permanently use Elgoods ground and don't amalgamate with Wisbech).

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 09:52:49 AM »
I see this as the end of the reserves team
Wisbech have no reserves team, so will only want ours playing there for some financial gain. I don't think many people that would watch them in Lynn will go there.
Be lucky if the arrangements last a season.
Sad.

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »
I agree Jesus this is absolutely ridicules why play another ground when you :yellow card: :shark: :yellow card: can make extra money over here

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
scrap the name king's Lynn reserve and call it another name with the motivation of having it under18/under23 ( a mixture of both0 with the intention of nurturing and loaning if necessary to gained the experience for first team debut;as per Nathan stewart

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »
This was mentioned before, but nothing came of it.
Also, back in the Dollimore era, I think there was a Red Star King's Lynn!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »
Sadly you can't have much sentiment if you are running a football club these days. With promotion comes hard choices....players are let go and arrangements alter..its the way of things. You cant have first team, reserves, under 18s and womens sides all using same pitch. A larger more expensive first team squad is required this year. The Reserves model, currently 4 steps below the first team doesn't now work for what it was originally intended...ie a feeder to the first team. Therefore it really is just a vehicle for local players at that level. So I guess this year is a bit of a transition year for the ressies. I personally think the move makes perfect sense. Should one of the current reserves really stand out this year or be needed in the firsts thro say injury, they will be available eg say Pedro is out for a few and  Congreve joins the squad. It keeps the ressies at a decent football stadium for their level and going forward if the u18s develop well, some of the current ressies may eventually join up with Wisbech where there is already a strong ex Lynn contingent or find alternative teams.
The Chairman has stated his ambitions...as the first team moves forward a step 6 ressies side surely just doesn't work as part of the main set up.
Maybe in time people will enjoy the Academy side at the Walks in place of the old ressies ( ?)