Author Topic: Squad  (Read 2033 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Squad
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
With the fixtures now out, I'm just hoping for a cool August, eight games in the month is going to take its toll on what looks to be another year of running with a smallish squad (IC has said he is only looking to bring in a defender plus a.n.other).  I am still concerned that we don't appear to have strengthened enough but IC is talking up the current crop of players to be able to make that step up and I guess time will tell, I also wouldn't have been that upset had we found an alternative to Bastock with some solid Conf North credentials but I guess IC is happy with him.  On the plus side retaining the bulk of the squad and IC having a full pre-season with them should mean we are reasonably cohesive come the start of the season and with Kettering and Hereford as the first two home games that gives us the potential to get a bit of confidence early on.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Squad
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:51:49 PM »
I think we should be running with a larger squad than last season,some players may have problems with midweek games due to the travel involved? I did hear a rumour that Toby was coming back,but I have heard nothing to confirm it? :dontknow:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 02:44:58 PM »
Was Toby not in one of pics from training on Tues night that were on the EDP website.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 03:22:59 PM »
Don't think the squad that finished last season, along with those already added, will do too bad. They have been playing together for a while, that is a big bonus. No reason to sign players for the sake of it.
I think we'll be okay.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
Yes I think we are close to being ready.

A further defender, not just as back up to the central two, but to also give the option of something different at the back if required eg a bit more height or a bit more pace. Would be great if the final player was a utility type.....a tackler with a good turn of pace, who could play any position. I know Messrs Hearle, Asher, Dillydally and Greg from the Lynn News don't agree, and that's their call, but I still feel there will be games(hopefully few in number) where Lynn will really be under the cosh and will need extra defensive protection. I think Lynn will do really well this year, but as a squad they haven't faced many teams who can pen them back for long periods in a game....this may happen this year. An away ppoint will be a great result in some cases.

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »
Toby is training with the squad at the moment.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
Could see him as a back-up to Gash. We donít really have anyone who can play that role.

Ok Toby is not natural goalscorer, but what he gives is a willing work horse who will give it his all. 

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
Was surprised that IC let Toby go to Wisbech last season given what we ended up with as cover up front, Toby a much better option off the bench than either Limb or WMB imo.  Might never end up being the 'finished article' but always gives 100% and that got him into positions to score some vital goals in the 17/18 season.  Were the reserves training on Tuesday or just selected players?  Joe Taylor in a couple of pictures, I know he did well for the reserves last year but would be a hell of a jump to step 2 football but good to see him involved in training all the same.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
On the KLTV podcast Mark Hearle mentioned that 4 of the reserves would be regularly training with the first team squad Tony.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
Tony, as I recall I think Toby went to Wisbech under Backie n Neilís watch.  Similar time to Adam Marriot and Chris Henderson arriving.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 11:22:12 PM »
Was surprised that IC let Toby go to Wisbech last season given what we ended up with as cover up front, Toby a much better option off the bench than either Limb or WMB imo.  Might never end up being the 'finished article' but always gives 100% and that got him into positions to score some vital goals in the 17/18 season.  Were the reserves training on Tuesday or just selected players?  Joe Taylor in a couple of pictures, I know he did well for the reserves last year but would be a hell of a jump to step 2 football but good to see him involved in training all the same.

4 reserves training with the first team this season, was announced on the podcast.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 09:08:36 AM »
With IC looking to add a defender and a midfielder to his squad, why is Toby Hilliard training with the squad? 

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »
With IC looking to add a defender and a midfielder to his squad, why is Toby Hilliard training with the squad?

He's a footballer.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2019, 12:59:01 PM »
 :laughcry: :laughcry:
Reminds me of an old "Police Squad " joke.

Single man returns to his home after work. Unlocks and opens front door and finds stranger in the lounge :
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?

"I am a locksmith......and I am a locksmith."

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
Tend to agree with KES80 that some teams are likely to have us penned in and under the cosh, and that a utility player could help in that situation. However my main concern is that the reason those teams will hem us in is because they will have the attacking players to do it.  I think the best form of defence is attack, and I just hope we are good enough going forward to pen the opponents back in their half rather than risk keeping them out at our end.  Fingers crossed....