Author Topic: THINKING BIGGER  (Read 3705 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: THINKING BIGGER
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
Mark is that correct the Trust are jointly funding all of the work you mention ?  I was on the understanding it was the turnstiles they were assisting with through their GDF.  However I stand to be corrected.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Mark is that correct the Trust are jointly funding all of the work you mention ?  I was on the understanding it was the turnstiles they were assisting with through their GDF.  However I stand to be corrected.

As far as I am aware, at the moment the Trust are only involved in raising funds for the new turnstiles, via their GDF. I don't think they are involved with anything else at the present time. As you Mallard, I stand to be corrected on this.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »

My reading of the term jointly was slightly different - effectively the B&G Trust's GDF is 'contributing towards' the works, be that the turnstiles or the project as a whole it doesn't really matter.  Jointly also shouldn't imply equal shares, the GDF is a chance for each and everyone of us to help out as much as we can (the money is ring fenced so can only go to one place, more details here https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/gdf.php) but at the end of the day the club is ultimately responsible for ensuring all of the work is completed within the FA's timescale.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
Tony I guess people read things differently.  For clarification, as I understand it the GDF of The Trust is paying to have the turnstiles installed with the Club finding the rest.

Having said that maybe that arrangement has been changed.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 05:59:20 PM »
Tony I guess people read things differently.  For clarification, as I understand it the GDF of The Trust is paying to have the turnstiles installed with the Club finding the rest.

Having said that maybe that arrangement has been changed.

From the post in May by the B&G Trust
"The cost of a double turnstile unit is £6,700 plus VAT, plus the costs of installation such as a suitable hard-standing and connection to a mains electricity supply.  It was agreed that the GDF would be used towards the purchase of these turnstiles...  It would be fantastic if this total could be increased  in order to further subsidise the cost of the turnstiles.  To find out more on the GDF and how to donate, click on the thermometer on the home page"

Currently the fund stands at just over £4K so still some way to go if the Trust is going to fund the full cost of the turnstiles but would be a great effort if they could manage to get there.  Presumably at some point the club will look to purchase these turnstiles and have them fitted, at which time the Trust will close down the GDF and transfer whatever has been raised to the club, so there is still time for people to add to the fund.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »
Impressed by the Trustís efforts on the GDF/Turnstiles front, but always fascinated by the lack of progress we have made over the decades.  How, for example, have Stamford funded the very decent covered terrace they have behind one of their goals ?.....  equally how is their ground choc-a-bloc with advertising signs all around the ground ?....both as demonstrated on the KLTV video of the first friendly game.   Maybe the two are linked ?  Hopefully our attendances will give us a real boost to finances in this new division that we have deservedly reached.  BRING A FRIEND, OR TWO/ THREE !....  Our most difficult but best chance of real progress for donkeyís years awaits !!

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 08:51:01 AM »
I maybe should have worded my initial post a little better but Tony's post has hopefully made the situation clear.

I agree that Stamford is a well appointed stadium. I would guess that maybe a lot of the work was funded when they sold their old ground for, I would suspect, a hefty price a few years back. My understanding is that some new perimeter advertising has been sold at The Walks for the new season along with many renewals of existing ones.     

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Mark.

Stamfordís New ground does look impressive.   Seems the in-vogue thing to do, move grounds.   Boston Utd will see their last season at York Street before they move out of the Town to Wyberton on the A16.   Sad to see these old traditional grounds turned into housing.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 05:01:43 PM »
Thanks Mark, and agree with Mallard that the loss of old grounds is sad to see.  Boston United built their stadium to league level and surely it will be a loss....

Owldtup

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
Hi all, would just think it ought to have been pointed out that Stamford's new ground is in collaboration with Stamford New College to also establish the Borderville Sports centre on land provided by the Burghley Estate. So they had a lot of assistance financially and organisational.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:54 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up Mark.

Stamfordís New ground does look impressive.   Seems the in-vogue thing to do, move grounds.   Boston Utd will see their last season at York Street before they move out of the Town to Wyberton on the A16.   Sad to see these old traditional grounds turned into housing.

Several Teams have made the move - classically St. Johnstone out of Perth centre to the outskirts into a purpose built 10,000 seat stadium. This was done by exchanging their in-town site with a national supermarket chain (not sure which one). back in the 80's.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
Mike there are loads of clubs trading in a prime site in a Town for a ground more out of the way.  I remember the old Grantham ground ( supermarket there).  Now look at the soulless place they play at now, surrounded by an running track.

It donít always work out, look what happened with Rushden & Diamonds and their move to Nene Park.