Author Topic: Sam G  (Read 7859 times)

Paddygray

• View Profile
Sam G
« on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:32 AM »
It would be interesting to hear some views on here about the reintroduction of Sam G, and also his new role in the team. He seems to have divided opinions around the walks on match day. He has appeared to be out of shape for the best part of the season, but his advocates would point to his ability to read a game as compensation. He came on last week and although he looked slimmer, he also looked like he could fall over every time he ran but then 'BAM' he helped to turn the game within five minutes. Then there was his valuable goal against Leamington. My personal opinion is a positive one. We know have 4 very good centre-halves to pick and an experienced player in Sam G who we will see come good.

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Sam G
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 08:16:50 AM »
No Doubt Sam is a class act.  Although not blessed with great pace, you are right he can read a game so well.  However Sam did have a bit of extra timber this season, and Its a not jus the body that slows up when you are carrying a bit of that extra spot of timber. 

All credit to Sam, he was  dropped to the bench but didn't throw a sulk, he got down to some hard graft to get back to somewhere close to where he has been in the past. 

In Some way a bit like Jack Defty, always carrying  a bit, Not the quickest, but gave his all for the Club.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:28 AM »
I don't think anybody can doubt Sam's commitment this season.

As Mallard says, he hasn't sulked about being dropped. Quite the opposite in fact. He has continued to help the team and youngsters with their development, and our current run has made it extra difficult for him to force his way back into the side.

He's demonstrated in the 'Bunting role' that he is still a leader on the pitch. We can make the most of his defensive capabilities there whilst he has demonstrated recent attacking credentials in recent weeks. He started the move that led to Stevo's goal on the counter at Dunstable, helped turn the game against Bedworth and weighed in with a goal of his own on Saturday.

Our younger players are in good hands with experienced players like Sam, Bridges and Stevenson to learn from.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Excellent reader of a game and can pick a pass, Sam with all his experience brings composure and experience to the team in the 'Bunting role'. I much prefer him there rather than in central defence.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »
Ever since Sam was at Norwich as Under 11 he was not quick enough, wrong shape, overweight! Released at 15 yrs old (not bg enough for centre half; couldn't get up and down at full back) and Tommy Taylor played him at 16 yrs old in midfield. Peterborough given contract by Ferguson at 19yrs old; dumped by Fry and then skippered Lowestoft for 2 years.
Has always looked unlikely shape (more pace than his gait suggests) but immense ability to read game and as with many players may have suffered loss of form earlier in season!!  Is an outstanding Lad at this level!!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:20:43 PM »
How many Years did Sam have at Lowestoft ?   Always good when a local boy comes back to play for his Local club

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:52:52 PM »
5 seasons with Lowestoft after 3 years Peterborough; the last on Contract!!  Ferguson sacked and honest Barry Fry dumped him!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:11:45 PM »
That was the first time Young Fergie left, wasn't that for non Football reasons.?  Fry has made a few quid for Posh as well. Made good money on the likes of Taylor, Mackell Smith and recently the lad Washington

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 04:21:25 PM »
Sam might not be many things to some but for me he is quality, first caught my attention as 16 year old for the reserves at histon when he hit a 30 yard thunderbolt into top corner good player, good person to have around the club! Setch will know how to deploy him in up and coming games make no mistake.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
Barry Fry must like him as he is employed as a youth coach!!

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »
Not Fry's remit!! 

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 10:35:46 PM »
With old Bazza everything's his remit isn't it?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:08 AM »
The Posh Owner has certainly moved a few managers on ( including Ferguson)  so it would appear is not backwards in coming forwards.   Yet Bazza is still in situ.  I guess the man that matters feels he is doing a worthwhile job for the Club.

I remember Him sending his Boy on loan to us, didn't look good enough for our level, let alone at pro level.   Not always the best thing is Nepotism.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
That was shortly after they'd taken Tommy Taylor and Adam Smith. Think they loaned us another player as well that appeared in the Oldham game. Either way neither of them did much for us.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »
Peterborough have certainly been succesful in identifying and signing non league talent and then selling on at a profit - is this down to Barry Fry? If so, that is probably the reason for his longevity at the club?

I would not be at all surprised to see Tom Meechan ex Godmanchester and St Neots eventually ending up there via Newport - exactly the path trodden by Conor Washington?