Author Topic: Sam G  (Read 7831 times)

New Recruit

• View Profile
Re: Sam G
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
Never heard Barry Fry called Bazza but has always had shady people around him; Dunstable, Barnet & Peterborough.
He has some financial interest in the Club and I do know Keith Alexander was stitched up by Irish Chair and Fry.
Then there was Sky and Big Ron overseeing / overriding Bleasdale; til he resigned 20 mins before game!
Was interesting to talk to Keith Alexander & Danny Crow about the shenanigans! 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
NR, Are you saying the likes of ticket tout and ex Barnet Chairman, Stan Flashman are dodgy ?

Think we have had our fair share of them at The Walks Over the Years.

New Recruit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »
Certainly have??  Where ever there is cash there will be those that take advantage!! That has happened over many years starting in 1970-71! Lottery; Bars; Gate Cash all very vulnerable!! And most of all spending more on team than is viable!! That was 70-71 when 6+ houses were sold (owned by Club) cheaply. 85-86; 90-91; 09-10; all from spending money Club didn't have! How many Directors have allowed that to happen; knowing there is only one consequence!!
Certainly won't happen under this Tenure!!

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 10:58:45 AM »
Unfortunately where there is money there is often the need to feed egos and greed. A lot of us still feel the pain of what happened back then. Whilst the days at Fisher and Merthyr will be held with a fondness and never forgotten, I am far happier knowing the club is being run more responsibly now.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 11:22:20 AM »
Of course Clubs suffer with Mismanagement, at the top level,  and lets not forget managers who should be included in that who will go back to their board and ask for More money.  Lets not forget the amount of Money that gets wasted on players who didn't perform/weren't good enough etc.  Even this season we had the a so called 20 goal plus striker who came in. Was he worth the Money he was being paid ?

As far as I remember the last lot paid the bills, of course until they couldn't pay them anymore.  Lets remember that was a good few years into their tenure.  I don't recall any Players at the time saying, Hold on Mr Manager/Chairman you are paying me  too much, really I think I should have less.  Or any fans saying  Hang on this  squad is costing too much, it should be reduced.

Lots of people get caught up in this craving for success, and the fans can be just as guilty.  How many Times have we read on  here that we need a bigger budget to compete. 

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »
I for one questioned what was going on when the likes of Andy Johnson on a reputed 1k a week and a director of football were appointed..................We even then seemed to be living way beyond our means, unless a wealthy benefactor could be found who was prepared to continue 'putting his hand in his pocket?!!!

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
We gained a reputation as a club for paying big money - we also had a management team at the helm that seemingly wouldn't say no to some of the demands that were made to secure marquee signings. How many potential signings added a few cheeky quid on to their wage demands off the back of that reputation - and were given it?

Whilst the tax bill was well documented when we were wound up, there was also a six figure sum owed to everyday creditors. Even some players that continued to play when we began cost cutting in Conference North never saw wages they were owed.

Whilst I look back with fondness at days like Fisher and Merthyr, I am perfectly happy having a management team who cut their cloth accordingly, and are not afraid to say no to silly demands.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »
Rod,  we did have a wealthy benefactor... In Chinn.  I would suggest while he was putting his hand in his pocket we were living within our Means.  I thought it Joachim who was 1K a week, didn't hear that Rumour about Johnson.  Though he was still knocking around when Heggs took over.  Didn't take look for Heggs to sort it out though.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 03:40:38 PM »
I think it was well publicised that Joachim was on 1,500 per week but this deal was financed directly by Chinn. This is why he stayed with us when the club began cost cutting.

Heggs wanted a clean slate by releasing the entire squad with the exception of Johnson, although I understand he did try and persuade Dom Dwyer to stay rather than move to the USA.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 03:55:32 PM »
I don't think Heggs wanted Johnson, but think he was on contract so he had to go with it.  Heggs did off load him PDQ into the new season though and got  his own man in.