Author Topic: Setch's thoughts on up coming games  (Read 11299 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile

hickathrift

• View Profile
Re: Setch's thoughts on up coming games
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:33:18 AM »
Well said Gary!..As Gary says Hungerford game is a cup final...Lets give the team and Gary our very best support they need on Saturday and if we can be that 12th man that helps Great!!!...COYL :scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »
Great piece of work from the Club and Setch, that should certainly boast the Crowd for Saturday.  800/900 would be out of this World. Even Buster said last week crowds of 550 are fantastic for this level so with a gate of 900 on Saturday he should be out of this World happy.

Like Setch said a win on Saturday will really get the wagon wheels rolling  for the next home games. Difficult to work out what the locals will buy into.  As In a winning team ? a base of local players ? or maybe could it be this underdog tag that we have and coming from nowhere in the last 10 weeks to be up their challenging ?  Or even a little slice of all 3. 

Saturday, for Hungerford could be like entering the Lions den, and so it should be.  The '12th man' and all that, some might even say its worth a goal start.  We all know how could the Lynn fans can be when they get behind their team.  Equally when things go wrong it's not the best place in the World to be.   Big Push early doors Saturday and on the front foot from the off.  Got to fancy us, haven't you.

To pinch one of the Forums members  phrases   It could be dubbed EXCITING SATURDAY  :comeon: :laughcry:

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:27:28 AM »
I really enjoyed watching the interview. Setch hits all the right notes here and the big step is not just getting those extra hundreds back for one game, but to get them back week in, week out. A win on Saturday would certainly carry that momentum over to next week and so on.

There is always a team that comes from nowhere to challenge for the play off places in the later part of the season and it looks very much like that could be us this year.

The future is certainly bright.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:38:36 AM »
There are so many reasons for those that are only occasional supporters and others who have yet to visit the Walks to get down there on Saturday - not least because they will enjoy competitive live football of a very decent standard and experience what should be a cup final atmosphere with hopefully - a positive end result!

I just want the team to enjoy the occasion and to play as well as we know they can!!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »
I noticed a few times through the interview Setch said that he wanted big crowds for these big games, and saying it wasn't necessarily for financial reasons. If that is the case of why not drop the price slightly, or introduce a mini season ticket for the remaining games?  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »
Are there not League rules which govern the admission prices ?  If not then no reason for Setch not to back it up by a lower admission price.  always good to support the people who support you.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
I think you are allowed to alter the price for league games, but the price has to be equal for home and away fans.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
It would be interesting to see just how it boosted the gate if say a £5 ticket were on offer for one game but the key surely would be the extent to which this was publicised?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
It would never surprise me to see Setch go for something like a price reduction.  He really seems like a fan of the fans, and wants his players to play in front of gates of 1000. Also would make his job easier in getting the players fired up with a big crowd in the Ground.

Have to say Setch has been a breath of fresh air since he has taken control of running of the Club.  Things certainly seemed to  slip once JC left for pastures new.  When JC was around the gates were around 800 plus as I recall. Once he was gone and under Buster's watch they start to dwindle season on season.  All Credit to Setch who has stopped the free fall and now started to build them back up. 

It is not enough these days to just throw the gates open and expect people to just walk through them.  You have to embrace your customers, look after the ones you have and try to entice new ones through the door.  Make people feel wanted and part of what you are trying to achieve.  Setch ( and indeed Backie) have certainly started to master that art.   

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:28 PM »
It would be interesting to see just how it boosted the gate if say a £5 ticket were on offer for one game but the key surely would be the extent to which this was publicised?

A few clubs have tried a "pay what you want" system, not sure how that's gone down regarding boosting gates though. Perhaps that's something to try on the next "Non League Day"?

The only other thing I guess to gauge opinions would be a survey to look at what the club is doing well and what people feel could be improved or what people would like to see that the club is not currently doing.
It may help, but it's attracting the fair weather fans into such a survey to see if their thoughts are consistent with those that attend regularly.

I agree with you Mallard, and Setch has always been more than happy to speak to supporters with concerns and so on. I had huge concerns at the start of the season because I didn't want to see us get caught up in the same rut as we did at the back end of last season.

I think it was after the Paulton home game he took the time to speak to me about my concerns and explained about the longer term plans with the squad. I totally bought in to what he said and it's nice to see that things are coming good with the squad now, maybe earlier than a lot of us expected. As football fans most of us are not patient when it comes to finding success, but I have to say I've enjoyed (most of) this season and it's been fantastic watching many of this squad growing into the league. I have always respected Setch, he was a great player that always gave his all for the club, and I respect him even more as a manager, for his openness and honesty.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
The league will have a minimum ticket price for sure and most level 3 clubs charge similar to Lynn. The reserves charge £4 which is the minimum we are allowed, Downham and several others charge £6. I think a tenner for level 3, and of course the facilities on offer, are well worth it.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
Tazzy, I don't think anyone is complaining about the standard bulk price of a tenner for step 3.  It was more following Setch's interview where he said he wanted his players to sample playing in front of big Crowds, and it wasn't about the money but more the atmosphere.  So as a marketing idea I think Griss was suggesting to lower the price for one game to get those stay away to come and have a look. Quite a good idea, would you not think ?  Im sure you have heard the phrase 'Throw out a Spratt to catch a Mackerel'    Got to be worth a try.   

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:07 AM »
Hitchin did a "pay what you want" game against Frome in January. Their attendance for that game was their highest league gate of the season at 572.

Their average gate for the season so far is 346, with three or four other games just over the 400 mark.

Clearly it worked for them (apart from on the pitch as they lost the game 2-1); with a "sensible" minimum amount stipulated would something similar work for us too?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
I think to try it as a one off marketing exercise would make sense, provided that this did not contravene league or FA rules.......What is there to lose? It would be very easy to do the financial equation and if the finances only broke even it would still have been worthwile as the additional supprt would be just what Setch' was advocating and who knows, some of those non regulars in attendance might well be tempted back...............It would then be a tactic well worth employing again?

With regard to current pricing I think that £10 is at the top end for this league and that our concessionary price is higher than most?