Author Topic: Darlington  (Read 2903 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
Re: Darlington
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 10:43:02 PM »
Good answers. I recall a nice free kick from Dale Anderson that he bent into the top corner. Not sure he did much else in a Lynn shirt though. The player I was thinking of was Les McJanet. Anyone remember him and whether he played for both teams?

He played for Lynn 82-84 and Darlington 88-92.

Also had a spell at Boston.

Les Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »
I don't remember him but he did play for both teams - Lynn first then Darlington. Right back.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2019, 12:23:58 AM »
If Jones can keep Stephen Thompson quiet then 2-0 to Lynn. I think the club will be extremely disappointed with less than 1000. Let's hope Gloucester can do us a favour :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Anything less than 1000 would be  travesty,must be pushing for 1200,and another win to ush on for another big gate. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Should be 1200 plus today.  I remember Mark Hearle in his opening Prog notes saying the club was looking for a min of 750/800 for each game.  I would say they are exceeding that by 40-50% after today.   Chairman must be delighted and starting to build a little ‘war chest’ for maybe later in the season.  Just shows if you put the entertainment on the fans will support it.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »
I know les Mac very well not seen him for a while

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
Fair point on the live feed, the away fans have been given the hospital end with no undercover area...surely a better solution needs to be found it wont be long until the english weather catches everyone out!

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »
Fair point on the live feed, the away fans have been given the hospital end with no undercover area...surely a better solution needs to be found it wont be long until the english weather catches everyone out!

Should probably have the hospital end and a 1/4 - 1/3 of the terrace.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
a 2 - 0 Win at Home for The Linnets.

Adam Marriott was missing from the line-up cited with an ankle injury - Rumour Control (MA Hill  :watching:) started stories about a move to Rotheram FC, Adam being at Rotheram having a medical etc. Adam was actually at the game, in the Dug-Out. Resting  :dontknow: Injured  :dontknow: Not Playing before a Medical :dontknow:

Darlington, despite the hype, started very slowly and it appeared they had come for a "Defend in Depth and Grab a Goal on the Break" strategy. Lots of attacking from Lynn but not getting through a massed 4 and 4 double defensive line-up with 2 waiting to make a break. If they did get into Lynn's half and ball went through to Pedro they didn't make any effort to put any pressure on him - Michael Gash was always closing in on the Goalie and he had to make some desperate clearances (one was an unholy cock-up as he attempted to nutmeg Gashy and it nearly left Michael with a chance but he slipped and the moment was gone).

Some good wing work by Aaron Jones and Nathan Fox combined with Gashy's new strike partner Chris Henderson kept Darlington on their toes but any move to break out was closed down quickly by the midfield and backs. Rory McAuley, Ryan Fryatt and Ryan Jarvis were solid supported by the very mobile Wing-Backs (Fox and Jones). Darlington did not strike me as a very skilful side, lacking in any slick passing or attempts at getting the ball through to their forwards. In the 2nd half they improved, especially when their No14 came on and was more of a handful but often as not Nathan Fox was on hand to dampen his presence. No8 was a moody git and deserved more than a Yellow for his late and deliberate hacking down of Michael Clunan as he was well on the way forward. Handbags occurred just before that when No11 got upset and started 3-4 "in-your-face" body shoves with either McAuley/Fryatt. He got a Yellow for his aggression. Several other Yellows followed but none were not deserved even Michael Gash (who was not as vocal with the Ref as he can be) but he had been a bit physical on several occasions and Ref pointed to 2-3 spots and then showed Yellow.

Chris Henderson was all over the midfield and Darlington half, chasing down any 50/50 ball and he broke through twice and stroked home two delightful slotted home goals to give us a deserved win. Hendo was well worth the Man-of-the-Match. Pedro had little to do apart from two fine saves - tipping a cracker of a shot onto his crossbar and over and another palm stop on his left post. Otherwise soft ball came his way and he smothered them. We had a short session of Keep-the Ball and that, as usual, was a nervous time as passes went close to being intercepted.

We subbed 3 times with Carey, Richards and Barrows coming on for Clunan, Kelly and Payne

Overall, we bossed the game and broke through with two 2nd half goals from our make-shift striker (Hendo).Nobody had anywhere near a shocker and all played their part against a mediocre team who threatened little.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 08:24:14 PM »
Thought we opened up ok and for 20 mins prodded and probed without really creating anything in the final third.  Darlo grew in confidence and started to get a foot hold in the game, with Gashy dropping deeper and deeper as he was being isolated up top.  Certainly the Marriott option was badly missed with no being able to play balls in down the side that Marriot thrives on.  We came very one dimensional.  Pedro pulled off two massive saves with a finger tip
Save over the bar then a point blank block from inside the 6 yard box.

Culverhouse obviously changed things at the break and Hendo was pushed up in support of Gash.  Hendo notched the two goals with neat finishes with one on one chances against the keeper.  Gash was also unlucky when a trade mark far post header clipped the post.

Was very much a 7/10 performance with MOM between Street, Jarvis and Hendo ( of course.

Marriot a massive miss ( could be fit for Tuesday?ankle).  A clean sheet, 3 more points despite not really being at our best.  Great crowd of 1200 plus. 

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »

My solution would be to run a line of fencing down the stand at the Tennyson Road end level with the end of the terrace,and mirror that in the small stand. This would give visitors cover,use of the cafe and toilets,leaving the home fans the rest of the ground and the bar? :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

My solution would be to run a line of fencing down the stand at the Tennyson Road end level with the end of the terrace,and mirror that in the small stand. This would give visitors cover,use of the cafe and toilets,leaving the home fans the rest of the ground and the bar? :scarf: :scarf:

The only issue I could see with that, is that the away fans would have to go in through the main entrance, which would miss some of the point fof those games that need strict segregation.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »

The only issue I could see with that, is that the away fans would have to go in through the main entrance, which would miss some of the point fof those games that need strict segregation.

And the home fans would enter either through the bar or the walks end? :dontknow:

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 12:42:09 AM »
Mike I didn’t start the rumour I was just passing on what I had heard, I hope it is just B S I wouldn’t like Adam not to be in the team

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2019, 07:48:22 AM »
Goals and the pen incident are on a link to be found on Darlo’s Twitter page

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »

And the home fans would enter either through the bar or the walks end? :dontknow:

Anything to get more people into the Bar Grissles  :dontknow:  Leave it out  :banghead;
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.