Author Topic: Expectations  (Read 1474 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Expectations
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:40:42 AM »
What a fantastic start to the season we have enjoyed.  No one could have seen that coming. How has this incredible start affected the fans expectation level ?  Are we going to be happy now to just be able to stay at this level or has everything gone up a level and now feel we should be aiming for a play-off place ?

Just listened to IC and sure he is of course playing it down.  Feet firmly on the ground etc.  However he also said after Saturday ‘they’ will all sit down and see where we go from here.  Could we read into this that the squad might need a bit of help and maybe one or two could be coming in ?

The Chairman has to be totally thrilled with the backing the fans have given the team with an average of over 1100  now.  Can only see this growing.  Plus with the publicity this start has generated it could be the local business community might want to get involved.

We also have the FA Cup coming which a decent run will come with gate revenue and decent prize money.   

All very positive vibes for the future.  Will be interesting to see if the Chairman wants to stick or twist in the next few weeks.

What do the rest of you think ?

Paul47

• View Profile
Re: Expectations
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Expectations certainly going up quickly. Better start than almost every Lynn fan thought.

With gates improving, and the FA cup starting soon, hopefully the feel good factor will continue.

I'm sure if Ian feels he needs a player, the chairman will back he where he can - that's one thing you can't criticise Mr Cleeve for, he's always back the manager when it comes to players.

Current squad as good as I've seen at Lynn - no major changes needed unless a top top quality player becomes available? And then he would need to fit into what seems a really tight nit group. 

samsdad

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:46:48 PM »
I think realistically we still aim to stay up... It has to be the main aim, anything above this is fantastic.

The current run of form is great and IC has worked wonders. I personally would like to see a CB added as felt we looked a bit dodgy at the back at times last night.

The lads as a whole are doing great and lets hope they keep on this rich vein of form.

The only negatives for me last night were two things... the chairmans programme notes, I tend to find these quite cringeworthy, last night slating two clubs and moaning at fans again and secondly.. the beer in the B & G, I had two pints both which tasted poor (pipes need cleaning I imagine), so in the end settled for a can.

I must say the B&G itself looks great and the crowd last night were also on top form!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »
After the first game of the season at Guiseley I think a few people thought we would struggle to survive in this league, but what a fantastic response from the team after that. Who could possibly have dreamt we would be top? I know there is a long way to go, but let's enjoy the ride, keep getting behind the team.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 01:07:39 PM »
To think where we are today compared to this time last year.  Phew! that is some turn around.

I agree Paul you can’t throw just anyone into the mix. Just feel Gash is so instrumental into the way we play that he needs looking after.  Maybe a player of his ‘type’  could be on the shopping list to share his work load. He has played a lot of Football over the past 4 weeks.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:55:05 PM »
I agree Paul you can’t throw just anyone into the mix. Just feel Gash is so instrumental into the way we play that he needs looking after.  Maybe a player of his ‘type’  could be on the shopping list to share his work load. He has played a lot of Football over the past 4 weeks.

I'm sure IC has thought of every eventually and planned for it - would be hard to replace Gash long term though if anything happened.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Of course IC would have thought of this and I’m sure many other things we haven’t given a thought to.  I agree Paul would be impossible to replace Gash, but to get an ‘understudy’ in would give the guy a rest  during games when they are, shall we say comfortable.  I go back to the 17/18 season when IC had the option of Hilliard and Siddons to use.  Ok we are now at a higher level so finding such a player will neither be easy nor cheap.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 02:10:16 PM »
Of course IC would have thought of this and I’m sure many other things we haven’t given a thought to.  I agree Paul would be impossible to replace Gash, but to get an ‘understudy’ in would give the guy a rest  during games when they are, shall we say comfortable.  I go back to the 17/18 season when IC had the option of Hilliard and Siddons to use.  Ok we are now at a higher level so finding such a player will neither be easy nor cheap.

If the attendance continues to massively outstrip expectations money could be found.  :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »
Attendances are banging in at 38% above Mark Hearle’s suggested min requirement.  Can only see that figure going higher with the quality of Football IC and his squad are serving up.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 03:18:19 PM »
Attendances are banging in at 38% above Mark Hearle’s suggested min requirement.  Can only see that figure going higher with the quality of Football IC and his squad are serving up.

38%? I would call that pretty good after 5 games!

Hopefully, now the "summer" is over and we approach the autumn the high gates will continue. Word seems to be getting round that this is a team worth watching.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 03:22:13 PM »
Great to see so many turning up every game. Gates hopefully should keep going on that upward trend.  Not forgetting some big gates to come when the likes if York, Boston, Chester etc to come.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 03:29:16 PM »
Was nice to see a few Norwich fans turn out last night, long may it continue.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
Don't forget NWNFL starts this weekend so a lot of "football people" will be getting involved in that
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »
Moon, there are always outside influences that come into play.  You could counter the North West Norfolk League by saying now the kids are back at School people have finished their summer hols.  Lynn Stars season coming to end so no competition there for the punters £.  There are several reasons on both sides of the coin.  Fact is Lynn are riding high in the League and playing a darn attractive brand of football.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
Couldn't agree more Mallard, wasn't arguing or disagreeing , just chucking another factor into the pot.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't