Author Topic: FA Cup  (Read 1781 times)

KES80

• View Profile
FA Cup
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:42:20 PM »
Is the draw for the second qualifying round tomorrow ?
Soham Town Rangers at home would be good.

KES80

• View Profile
Re: FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »
Tomorrow lunchtime according to Mark Hearle.

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:21:50 PM »
draw starts at 1pm.
There will be 80 ties drawn for this round so might take a while! lol 
 :cup2: :cup2:

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:03:06 PM »
away to Alfreton

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:03:55 PM »
Not bad  COYL

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »
Could be spicy after last week and the sending off

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:13:54 PM »
That's a really tough draw !
Away to one of the most physical and direct non league sides......not really what we wanted with several players carrying knocks...would have been good to be able to rest some key players and be ready for York away the following week.
Be interesting to see what IC does re team selection.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
Away to one of the most physical and direct non league sides......not really what we wanted with several players carrying knocks...would have been good to be able to rest some key players and be ready for York away the following week.

Resting players for the FA cup is the last thing we need to be doing, I am sure the club could really do with the income and publicity a good cup run would generate.  Yes, the opening 10 league games have been fantastic but lets not get ahead of ourselves, stability at step 2 and a cup run would be a massively successful season imo.

KLTFC2017

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 02:12:05 PM »

Resting players for the FA cup is the last thing we need to be doing, I am sure the club could really do with the income and publicity a good cup run would generate.  Yes, the opening 10 league games have been fantastic but lets not get ahead of ourselves, stability at step 2 and a cup run would be a massively successful season imo.

Well said TonyM , that's exactly the case

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Just to play devils advocate.  Iím not sure after the start we have made that an FA Cup run is what we need.

We are up there  ( at the moment) in the play off places with opposition Managers singing our praises.  Maybe just maybe we are up there on merit and not as just a surprise package.  This  could be our big chance to reach the heady heights of the top level of Non League Football.  Go on,someone tell me we arenít good enough to compete with the big boys at Step 2, on the evidence thus far.

Gates have far exceeded expectations and I would suggest will continue to climb.  Anyone think we could hit close to 1400 Saturday ?

We are playing an exciting brand of free flowing Football with the stamp of goals in the team. The Manager is different class and has to be best that most have seen at the Club in living memory.  However he is working with a tight ( in terms of numbers) squad and cannot afford injuries suspensions etc.  Only last week Bastock was named on the bench.

We have an away game in the 2nd qualifying round and IF we get passed that then of course there is no guarantee of a home draw in the next round.

For me itís a fine balance between success in the League or reaching out for financial gain potential in the FA Cup.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
Yes Tony and KL , I understand where you are coming from, but I agree with Mallard's post. I would love Lynn to have a good cup run, boosting crowds and revenue along the way. Had we had a couple of easy draws for the next two rounds, I would have thought it feasible. However  the league start has been incredible. There are players in the squad who are playing at top form who probably have 2/3 seasons more in them at that performance level as a maximum. So maybe its worth trying to seize the day with the league opportunity if its possible to do it and if the club can continue to develop fast enough to support it.
The squad is carrying a few knocks and Mc Cauley will  probably be suspended for the Alfreton match, so we won't have a full strength side anyways. You certainly cant have it all with our size squad....so is it a shot at a cup run and survival or a shot at a top six place in the league ?
Btw, the extra revenue from maintaining a top 6 place in the league , will most likely exceed the revenue from 3 rounds of the Cup unless we were incredibly lucky enough to host a televised match

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »
The prize for promotion is massive.  Increased gates and a top club visiting every home game, not just maybe once a season ( if we are lucky in the Cup)  League for sanity FA Cup for vanity.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 06:05:25 PM »
I think with the much larger than budgeted for gates the squad could be increased? Anyone know where we could get another Gash?  :scarf:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 06:22:26 PM »
Just as an aside to the debate and not wanting to sound of sour grapes.......but does the FA know Lynn is in Norfolk ?
They seem to treat us as a  North Midlands side. Lowestoft v Dereham, Irlam v York etc...most of the draw involving rel short travel distances and then Alfreton Lynn. Given the challenges of the north/south divide for teams like Lynn , you really would think the FA could be a little more amenable in the way they regionalise the Cup IMO.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »

I think with the much larger than budgeted for gates the squad could be increased? Anyone know where we could get another Gash?  :scarf:

Griss, I guess it depends if the club gets any heavy fines going forward.  As I understand it Boris is not the only one with problems with no 10!