Author Topic: The price of failure?  (Read 4366 times)

rod

• View Profile
The price of failure?
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »

Or perhaps that should be rewarding failure?

I read that Steve McClaren has no intention of resigning – well there’s a surprise but can't say I blame him! Got me thinking, is there any other ‘industry’ that rewards failure so regularly and spectacularly as does foot ball at the top level??????

In my working life we used to appraise performance against agreed targets and very occasionally someone would lose their job after a prolonged period of sub standard performance – not so in the case of football management and McClaren is one of several who seemingly have become very wealthy primarily through having their contracts paid up as the price of 'failure'.

Nice work if you can get it?

robbo84

• View Profile
Re: The price of failure?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
When you consider the average amount of time a manager spends at one club now, we are 'bucking the trend'.

To put that in perspective, from when Gary Setchell was appointed King's Lynn manager in 2010, only 3 league clubs out of 92 still have the same manager in charge (Wenger at Arsenal, Tisdale at Exeter and Robinson at MK Dons).

At the other end of the spectrum, 49 clubs out of the 92 have replaced at least one manager in the last calendar year.

Some of these managers do seem to be on to a winner by signing a long contract though, it's a big payoff if it's terminated.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
McClaren is on the Board at St James, so maybe he gave himself a vote of confidence   :sinking:  After spending a 100m you would think he would have  had a team performing a bit better than that. 

Interesting that for the last X Number of years Money has talked in The Premier League.  Chelski, Man City, Arsenal, Man U. Yet now we Leicester heading the rest by 5 points.   Nice breath of fresh air.  Just shows it isn't always all about players earning 200k a week plus.  Sometimes its about honest endeavour and giving 110%.

I am sure normal service will be resumed next season and we will see the usual teams up there fighting it out.  Just good to see The Likes of The Foxes and The Spurs  giving the big money boys a bit of a bloody nose, even if it is only for one season.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 04:41:57 PM »
It is more than a coincidence that the majority of fans want Leicester to win the title, if there favoured team cannot?

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
If you give or agree a contract should be for period of contract unless both parties agree otherwise ,pains me to here players on big money stating their desire to play elsewhere after signing long term deal at one club.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 02:04:08 AM »
Quite simply Rod, most people love an underdog!

Leicester are in a fantastic position right now. 23 points from their remaining games guarantees them the title (that's assuming the teams below them win every game, which is unlikely). More importantly, they have no other Cup commitments, whereas all of the chasing pack are still in at least one other cup competition. It is absolutely Leicester's title to lose.

Will we ever see such a crazy top flight season again?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:07:37 AM »
It would seem that McClaren had no say in the players coming in which if true is ridiculous. Would any company stand back and let somebody else pick there workforce. Several teams have proved it does not work.

As Leicester, and dare I say Spurs finishing 1/2 in the league leaving the 'big five' Utd, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea looking for scraps and at least three of them missing the Champions league next season, brilliant. Great article in the Mail yesterday by Martin Samuel asking the question of the CEO's why have your team failed to beat Leicester. Man U why are you, the richest club in the world, 13 pts behind etc. Liverpool, 16pts, Man City, 10pts, Arsenal, 8pts and best of all Chelsea 20 pts behind. Oh and all these clubs are in talks to be in some sort of European Super League you don't have to qualify for with pots more money available.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
It seems that for the likes of Liverpool and United, winning the Europa League is the only way they are going to qualify for the Champions League, likewise with Chelsea needing to win the Champions League itself. As you say if Tottenham and Leicester hold on to the top two spots in the league that could mean whoever finishes 4th misses out on Champions League qualification.

As for Newcastle and McClaren, I don't think the lack of say over transfer dealings is a new thing. I was one of those who questioned why he (or any manager for that matter) would want the Newcastle job given the way decisions are made there.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:22 AM »
Everyone loves it when a minnow turns over the big boys.   Look back to The Crazy Gang days when Wimbledon use to 'batter' the big boys.  Ok it wasn't pretty to watch but Dave Basset made the most of what he had at Plough Lane.  I remember going to Cambridge Utd under John Beck and he worked  the same kind of scenario.  Again it wasn't pretty to watch but it certainly worked for a while. 

I am not saying Leicester are  a team that to likes to load it and then play off the 2nd ball but they have a certain 'style' that teams have struggled to cope with.  They also have a few bits and pieces of total quality in the squad.  They just seem to have got it all together at jus the right time.  With Chelski having struggled for the first half of the Season, Man U  not really doing much, Arsenal hit and miss.  Man City where the Manager is out at the end of the season.  It all seems to have fallen into place for the Likes of Leicester and indeed Spurs to brighten up what appears to have been a very average Premiership this year.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
A number of people who have either worked with or for Steve McClaren have expressed the opinion that he is an excellent number two / coach but not suited to being a manager. There is such a difference - the likes of Ferguson, Clough, Shankly and quite a few more were fantastic man managers rather than coaches?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
The guy who was good at both the training ground and The dressing Room was El Tel.  He was a bit of a marmite character though with the public and the press.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »
I agree - Tel' was ahead of his time in many respects........and a great character!

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
Plus el tel started at right club with Tom Docherty as manager,still has season ticket and attends many games.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 03:22:36 PM »
Went to a Sportsman Dinner with El tel as the Guest, when he was England manager.  He had Eric  'Monster' Hall with him, who I guess was his agent at the time.   He had some interesting things to say about  various other Managers at that time.