Author Topic: RESERVES V DEREHAM TOWN GAME ON TONIGHT  (Read 6505 times)

tazzywazz

• View Profile
Re: RESERVES V DEREHAM TOWN GAME ON TONIGHT
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 01:59:49 PM »
There is the conundrum, if we had entered as KIng's Lynn Town would it have been right to play mainly reserve team players in the early and then a few less in the later rounds. I like to think that the club is much more integrated than in the past and any team put out to represent the club are doing exactly that, representing. Last nights team gave Setch a chance to look at players who in the main are not regular 1st team players together with some of the more experienced reserves. IMO the team were capable of winning the game and may well have done so if the referee hadn't made a cock up with both penalties. I doubt a full Reserve team would have been capable of beating Dereham. I would like to congratulate Kevin White for his performance last night, never stopped running and was the pick of the Lynn midfield players by some way, not bad for a "$%&@ year old.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:36 PM »
Not often I agree with you Tazzy.  As Ab Would have said you cannot please all of the people all of the time. 

I guess it all boils down to where the NSC comes in the swing of the things.   If The first team is having a nothing season then it might be a good call for club Morale to go for it.  Then again if they are going for Promotion it might make sense to keep your players fresh and play a couple of fringe 1st team players ( I felt playing Street was a big risk) to keep them sharp.  Also in latter rounds it gives the young players a chance to compete against teams of a higher level. In the NFA   that is Dereham, Wroxham, Thetford,  Fakenham  Gorleston  Swaffham and Norwich Utd. 

No shame in going out to a decent Dereham side and a Carrow Road appearance will be the high point of their season.  Reserves can take heart in the fact that they got a few good scalps along the way ( Swaffham, Wroxham) and did well to get to a Semi.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 03:18:03 PM »
Swaffham was League Cup I think Mallard, but another great result in a season I hope the Reserve players and management will look back on with some considerable pride.

Best of luck to Dereham in the final.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:57 PM »
Thanks Robbo, Wrong again.  Tazzy will be in his element.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
Never said a word Mallard!!

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »
May also be worth pointing out that the Swaffham result was achieved on a night when a few Reserves were on First Team duty against Barton and some of the U18 team went with the Reserves. Both teams managed to pull off results that night.

I was at Barton that night and McLeish, Bird, Frohawk and Liam Fryatt all started the game for the First Team, with Dylan Edge coming off the bench for his debut.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
Isn't that proof Robbo, along with other games, that the integration in the club is reaping dividends. I was at the Swaffham game and having gone a goal down in seconds we completely hammered Swaffham, they were amazed when we told them we had several regulars missing. The Reserves have also played quite a few games with a number of youth team players playing, not always with a winning result, but with one exception always a great team performance. Exciting times.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 07:36:59 PM »
I thought that the Swaffham result was tremendous and progressive. With a depleted reserve team being supplemented by some from the youth team..........Just an opinion but having so many first teamers playing in the 'reserves' at any one time, like last evening, is the opposite?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 09:28:22 PM »
I totally agree Tazzy. We were excellent against Barton that night. Yes they're a struggling Step 4 side but at the time the game would have been a big step up for the Reserves that played. Didn't Swaffham accuse us of putting First teamers out until it was pointed out it was quite the opposite?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 11:06:54 PM »
They certainly did Robbo, that's how much we outplayed them. I think the Norfolk Senior Cup Rod, where Norwich City are entitled to enter and field any 'senior' team is different and the club are entitled to field any team of players who are qualified to play, i.e. played at least two games for the reserves in this case. I don't see it's any different to reserves/youth, all players registered and qualified. In the past when the reserves where 'separate' from the club you may have a point but that is no longer the case with the set up as is now. Setch/Backie were entitled to field that team, no problems at all.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »
Tazzy it is great that we can on occasion agree to differ but still have the best interests of our club at heart?! On this one I think it is more about perception.......................Is the primary intention to win the NSC or to use it as a vehicle to give the reserve squad the opportunity to test themselves against higher level opposition?

As I have posted previously I have no problem whatsoever with  one or two first team squad members getting some much needed game time and adding a bit of experience but as was the case on Tuesday, for me, seven regular or first team squad members was a bit 'over the top'.

On the subject of 'experience' - although I am not a regular at reserve games, it is obvious to me just how vital is the role played by Kevin White. A calming influence who knits things together superbly.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
Maybe the inclusion of each player should be reviewed on its own merits.

Dylan and Liam Fryatt are still only on the fringes of the First Team squad, so I fully expect them to feature regularly for the Reserves when the opportunity arises.

Sam and Toby are both still after minutes on the pitch. Adding Jacek into that equation I would imagine there was also a hope that between them they would get goals and gain a bit of confidence from that.

The bigger risks in my opinion were Street and Castellan, although they would doubtlessly have added strength at the back on the night.

Other than Liam Fryatt picking up a ban (one game?); it looks like the rest came through unscathed.