Author Topic: Missing a Trick  (Read 3139 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Missing a Trick
« on: September 15, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
Just reflecting on things.
Lynn have one of the best managers ever.
Also one of the best squads ever.
A chairman who has made these and other positives happen.
Huge catchment area for fans and business.
With sufficient funding the on pitch set up would be capable of getting to step 1 and off pitch significant investment would be required.
These set of circumstances may not be around for that long, due to player age and individual ambition.
Is the town and surrounds missing a huge opportunity here and do enough people out there really care about the club.
Is an attendance of 1000 home fans really the best the area can do for a side top of Conference North ?
Aren't there enough businesses in the area to throw a bit of financial clout into the pot to make a significant difference ?
If ever there was a time for things to really crack on off the pitch, this start to the season really should provide the incentive and impetus.... wouldn't you think ?

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
Re: Missing a Trick
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »
Just reflecting on things.
Lynn have one of the best managers ever.
Also one of the best squads ever.
A chairman who has made these and other positives happen.
Huge catchment area for fans and business.
With sufficient funding the on pitch set up would be capable of getting to step 1 and off pitch significant investment would be required.
These set of circumstances may not be around for that long, due to player age and individual ambition.
Is the town and surrounds missing a huge opportunity here and do enough people out there really care about the club.
Is an attendance of 1000 home fans really the best the area can do for a side top of Conference North ?
Aren't there enough businesses in the area to throw a bit of financial clout into the pot to make a significant difference ?
If ever there was a time for things to really crack on off the pitch, this start to the season really should provide the incentive and impetus.... wouldn't you think ?

:oldman" I agree with a lot of what you say, however in the many years I have been watching the LINNETS , our attendances have not been much higher than they are averaging now, yes you get the odd game with 2/2.5 k people in attendance, which in turn helps the season average, but at this moment in time 1200 or so is a good attendance for KLTFC. I recall many matches on a cold evenings in the Northern premier league when we were glad of 400.
I would also like to say that there is a lot of uncertainty in business and can also see why companies are reluctant to release money for sponsorship, yes other clubs pull in sponsorship but we need people at the club to work on this and as I see it we are still a 1 man band on this point.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Attendances not quite up to the 2008-09 level just yet.

https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/attendances-compared2019.php

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 01:32:38 PM »
Looking at those figures in monetary terms the club must be bringing an extra circa 7-8k per Home game than last season. Money not to be sniffed at.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »
Attendances not quite up to the 2008-09 level just yet.

https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/attendances-compared2019.php

:oldman" many thanks for that admin, my point proven there, we are at the level of support this club can be expected to generate at this present time in our history. We could possibly push on and average 14 /1500 gates but that is where I personally see our support level. We live in a relatively small town compared to many clubs in this league hence the difference in attendance levels, York, Chester, Hereford. Darlington to name but a few are much bigger conurbations with much larger populations hence there support level.  :farmer:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 03:28:51 PM »
Not quite QED Dazza !
This epitomises what needs to change....we don't want to be looking backwards to project forwards....if attendances were slightly higher in 2008, then now with a stronger team and higher league placing, we should be beating that figure.
With improved marketing and incentives we could be leaving that figure behind...plus I believe I am right in saying we have bigger clubs in the league this time around, with greater support themselves, which should help our gate.If we can average 1500 for the season, that would equate to 400 more than present or an extra £120 k or so over a season...that should be the aim.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
I would say that our gate receipts are in the top 10 of this League, yet IC says his budget is amongst the lowest.   Plus we are fortunate in that we only pay a peppercorn rent to play at The Walks while some of the other clubs in with us have to pay rent at the market value.

However where we seem to fall down and fall down badly is on the commercial side.  For example.   Boston Utd, club closest to us sold ALL of their match day sponsorship deals ( and there a good few different ones) within 2 WEEKS of the fixtures being released.  Lynn, on the other hand, had the Chairman posting on Twitter looking for match days sponsors just a few short days before games.

That’s just one example

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »
Yep agreed and mentioned that at the top in general terms.
It needs to come in from all the angles tho....if we are to compete with York say, then we need to get close to their commercial set up and get close on attendances....£120 k extra from a 1500 crowd would make a tremendous difference, I am sure you would agree

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
Don’t disagree KES think we are singing from the same hymn sheet. I have no idea who is even suppose to handling the commercial side, does anyone on here ?  Going back to our friends at Boston.  The commercial guy there even has his own column in the Programme to keep fans updated on commercial activity.

It does seem we are getting so much right on the pitch but so
Much wrong if it, and it appears the gap is widening. To hear Culverhouse say the club is not ready for promotion is disappointing. Thing the word the interviewer used was quicksand if we gained promotion.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
Need to look at employing more people to serve food and drinks,20 minute wait at the bar to get a beer,either miss the end of the first half or beginning of the second half. Rushing the cooking of the burgers because not enough precooked,mine was half cooked! People were leaving the bar without being served,lost revenue? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:18 AM »
I would guess we would all rather see a winning team on the pitch, than having a ground full of sponsor boards and better catering!
The team as we all acknowledge are currently punching above their weight. Probably moving forward faster than plans laid off the pitch.
I agree would be great to have a bit more in place off the field, hopefully it will come soon.
Lets not be too negative, there are lots of things that are positive, that the chairman has addressed. The pitch, the sprinkler system, the ground is safe and tidy, the B&G has improved.(even a dart board that I saw someone request)
I would say, tell your friends all the good stuff currently happening at the walks and for the time being, enjoy the ride. Trust that the other stuff will follow, soon!
ps I was in the Globe Sunday. People were walking out as too busy!! Mr Wetherspoon not doing too bad for himself.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:14 AM »
I would guess we would all rather see a winning team on the pitch, than having a ground full of sponsor boards and better catering!
The team as we all acknowledge are currently punching above their weight. Probably moving forward faster than plans laid off the pitch.
I agree would be great to have a bit more in place off the field, hopefully it will come soon.
Lets not be too negative, there are lots of things that are positive, that the chairman has addressed. The pitch, the sprinkler system, the ground is safe and tidy, the B&G has improved.(even a dart board that I saw someone request)
I would say, tell your friends all the good stuff currently happening at the walks and for the time being, enjoy the ride. Trust that the other stuff will follow, soon!
ps I was in the Globe Sunday. People were walking out as too busy!! Mr Wetherspoon not doing too bad for himself.

I too was in the Globe,45 minute wait for food,but I had the option of going elsewhere,don't have that option at the ground! :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 11:00:27 AM »
Quite agree LUFC and I don't see anything negative on this thread.....its all meant to be positive and a rallying cry.....get the word out, do anything possible to back up the fantastic team we now have. Great highlights again by the way....the brand of football is so good...is there any way this can be distributed to a larger audience to boost interest and ultimately attendance

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »
I would say that our gate receipts are in the top 10 of this League, yet IC says his budget is amongst the lowest.   

Yeah we're one of 10 teams with an average so far over 1000 at home so you're definitely right especially considering we are one of the most expensive too. However what others have touched on is the other areas where full potential is not being reaped so having to pretty much depend on matchday takings then the budget is going to be lower.
I know the commercial manager at hereford and he's constantly running events in the community which not only brings in revenue but positive vibes in the community for the club. They held a festival on at the ground pre season nothing overly special people like gareth gates there but estimates were there were 2000 people there, when you take in not only the ticket profits but the fact that there's 2000 people there that have to eat & drink over an 8 hour event i'm sure they were raking in the money, hence why it's already organised for next year.  The ground sits derelict for half a year something needs to be done while the footballs not on to keep the money coming in.
When you look at this and the fact hereford are in the bottom half of the table, yet still have excellent sponsorship deals and an average home crowd of over 2500 it just shows we are miles behind these kind of teams in so many ways......even if on the pitch we are lucky enough to have a team currently a lot better than many in this league.
Maybe some kind of incentive can be done where leaflets are given out at local schools, free under 16's with every adult ticket or something? Ok it's only £2 at the moment but worded right it could be seen as a decent offer....just need to get the club out there locally not everyone reads the local papers nowadays.

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »
What Salary would a commercial manager demand?
@minimum wage they would cost £20k plus national insurance
So to stand still would need to generate that first

As with extra bar staff
Matchday mn wage = approx £25 don’t sound much but that’s probably an additional 50 pints to be sold to stand still