Author Topic: Missing a Trick  (Read 3142 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Re: Missing a Trick
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »
Just watched the IC interview (thanks Bevan) and wouldn't disagree with a word, I too would have been happy to see us 'not in the bottom three' after 10 games.  Realistically we are miles away in a number of areas of what is needed to maintain a step 2 set up, notably but not exclusively on the commercial side and these things will take time.  As for this group of players and the age profile of the squad that is irrelevant, squads will chop and change every year and it is down to IC to try and ensure that each year the squad is at least as strong as the previous year (more so this year after the promotion and I still think there is some tweaking there to be done). 

The increase in attendance is to be welcomed but I would very much doubt we have got anywhere near SC's break even point and certainly not to the point where we can throw much more at the squad this season, don't forget we have a hefty (appreciate there are differing estimates) bill coming before the end of season on ground improvements to even stay in this league assuming IC's aim of survival is achieved on the pitch.  So where can the club get more funds:

* The commercial side could do more, although that will probably be a long term fix based on my experience of the standing of the club within the local business community - local companies currently have enough pressures on them and are not really set up with the aim of subsidising a local football club
 * The Friends could play a bigger role and that is down to fans doing what they can, they have options for most budgets with 100 club, pitch squares and 12th man
 * The Trust could certainly build on their GDF initiative and whilst the £4K was a great bit of fundraising I would have thought that they would now be looking to 'go again' with a push to raise another capital sum before the end of the season
 * Attendance - this always has to be budgeted at a sensible rather than an aspirational (1500???) level as it probably only takes a poor run or a few extra midweek games to drop this down, yes opposition teams do seem to be bringing more fans but there are a fair number of factors (like what is happening down the A47) that can have an impact.

Personally I would be (very) happy with a mid table finish without any thoughts of looking over our shoulder in the second half of the season and the ground improvements completed and signed off by the FA in good time.  Going a few rounds in either the FA cup or FA trophy would be a bonus.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 07:51:41 PM »
Some valid points, as always Tony.  However ( did you expect anything less).

With the current average gate attendance and increase in admission and assuming it stays around 1100 ( big  gates to come with York, Chester and Boston) I work out that income from gate receipts will see an increase of a 170k ( ish).  Now I would suggest that would go a long way to meet Stephen Cleeve’s break even figure.  Let’s not forget he is on record saying he will fund it for this year.  For the last time.

As for all this stuff of us not being good enough etc, I don’t buy that.  If anything in the opening quarter of the season we have proven we are very much good enough to compete at this level. With the right addition or two there is no reason the suggest we cannot finish in the top 7 (11th is halfway) and therefore qualify for the play-offs.

Now imagine that we did make the play-offs is IC going to give a team talk of.  ‘Ok lads we have come this far but the club needs you to throw this game as they aren’t ready for step one’

Let’s not throw in the towel just yet.  Maybe things will look different after 20 games.  Then again maybe they won’t.  Then how will the post match interviews go.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »

With the current average gate attendance and increase in admission and assuming it stays around 1100 ( bug gates to cone with York, Chester and Boston) I work out that income from gate receipts will see and increase of a 170k ( ish).  Now I would suggest that would go a long way to meet Stephen Cleeve’s break even figure.  Let’s not forget he is on record saying he will fund it for this year.  For the last time.

As for all this stuff of us not being good enough etc, I don’t buy that.  If anything in the opening quarter of the season we have proven we are very much good enough to compete at this level. With the right addition or two there is no reason the suggest we cannot finish in the top 7 (11th is halfway) and therefore qualify for the play-offs.

Now imagine that we did make the play-offs is IC going to give a team talk of.  ‘Ok lads we have come this far but the club needs you to throw this game as they aren’t ready for step one’

Let’s not throw in the towel just yet.  Maybe things will look different after 20 games.  Then again maybe they won’t.  Then how will the post match interviews go.
Couldn't agree more Mallard. The club are rightly trying to take the pressure off.

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 11:26:01 PM »

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:51:41 PM »

With the current average gate attendance and increase in admission and assuming it stays around 1100 ( big  gates to come with York, Chester and Boston) I work out that income from gate receipts will see an increase of a 170k ( ish).  Now I would suggest that would go a long way to meet Stephen Cleeve’s break even figure.  Let’s not forget he is on record saying he will fund it for this year.  For the last time.

Ian was saying in the interview on Saturday that he would be content with a mid table position and another season on this league; yes I agree he said we could be in quicksand in the premier vanarama; but what about this for a scenario; I see there are about 66% of teams in  the step one framework within an easy distance for this club; and hence traveling support either way ;example not far to dover athletic, or, to chesterfield north and south for the geography concept; the occasional visit of Wrexham or even Torquay would be just fine; the point is go for the golden pot if that is within site, gain promotion again, whatever means there is; then consolidate in a higher league; you will get the sponsor when the carrot is dangling for the first ever chance of football league experience; people will see this club means business when this club is near the ambition of the event of gaining the promotion to  division one of the league; of course this would probably take maybe two season; but the opportunity for (1) crowd increase is good (2) sponsorship deal is good; and even giving the further incentive for Ian C to stay within this club ;after all staying with this club for another two season could be a massive goal for his c.v, we could be  seeing the horizon with a couple of wins against York and  Chester in the very near future; and then sail on from there with this 10 game philosophy. Another interesting point is what about playing Paul in goal for some of the seemingly easier Games and giving Alex that much needed rest. or even loaning out a good keeper to give the lad a rest;

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »

« Reply #16 on: Today at 07:51:41 PM »

Ian was saying in the interview on Saturday that he would be content with a mid table position and another season on this league; yes I agree he said we could be in quicksand in the premier vanarama; but what about this for a scenario; I see there are about 66% of teams in  the step one framework within an easy distance for this club; and hence traveling support either way ;example not far to dover athletic, or, to chesterfield north and south for the geography concept; the occasional visit of Wrexham or even Torquay would be just fine; the point is go for the golden pot if that is within site, gain promotion again, whatever means there is; then consolidate in a higher league; you will get the sponsor when the carrot is dangling for the first ever chance of football league experience; people will see this club means business when this club is near the ambition of the event of gaining the promotion to  division one of the league; of course this would probably take maybe two season; but the opportunity for (1) crowd increase is good (2) sponsorship deal is good; and even giving the further incentive for Ian C to stay within this club ;after all staying with this club for another two season could be a massive goal for his c.v, we could be  seeing the horizon with a couple of wins against York and  Chester in the very near future; and then sail on from there with this 10 game philosophy. Another interesting point is what about playing Paul in goal for some of the seemingly easier Games and giving Alex that much needed rest. or even loaning out a good keeper to give the lad a rest;
Nice to see a positive outlook Joss.

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 09:49:42 PM »
Another point in Ian's interview I do not agree with the comment " we have no right", we got every right[to assert ourselves in this league. If those clubs were in this league so long; then that shows their calibre is not up to scratch as some may think; why if they were good there should be playing in the vanarama premier and not in this league. Sorry Ian your comments are really good about philosophy and such like; 10games and then progress; but saying we have no "no right " is a no goner with me we go all out to make team show us respect not the other way around; we do have the right to slaughter some teams if necessary. some of these teams are hanging onto this league by  the skin of their teeth; Ian has given us this incentive to bolster our claim for promotion if needs be go for it hammer and tong; let every game especially the bigger x foot league club ,like a F.A cup game, where we got the right to giant kill if the calibre is there, and we do have the calibre; show teams no mercy ;you can guarantee they will not shows us that;heck with the lovey dubby bit go for the juggernaut for every game; and we have the players for it; show some these teams respect and they will takes  us to  the cleaners; respect only comes where there is a social gathering ;playing a league game is no social gathering; the :nilpoints: :scarf: :shark: only way of showing respect is playing good clean football;

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »
Another point in Ian's interview I do not agree with the comment " we have no right", we got every right[to assert ourselves in this league. If those clubs were in this league so long; then that shows their calibre is not up to scratch as some may think; why if they were good there should be playing in the vanarama premier and not in this league. Sorry Ian your comments are really good about philosophy and such like; 10games and then progress; but saying we have no "no right " is a no goner with me we go all out to make team show us respect not the other way around; we do have the right to slaughter some teams if necessary. some of these teams are hanging onto this league by  the skin of their teeth; Ian has given us this incentive to bolster our claim for promotion if needs be go for it hammer and tong; let every game especially the bigger x foot league club ,like a F.A cup game, where we got the right to giant kill if the calibre is there, and we do have the calibre; show teams no mercy ;you can guarantee they will not shows us that;heck with the lovey dubby bit go for the juggernaut for every game; and we have the players for it; show some these teams respect and they will takes  us to  the cleaners; respect only comes where there is a social gathering ;playing a league game is no social gathering; the :nilpoints: :scarf: :shark: only way of showing respect is playing good clean football;
I agree Joss. I'm assuming that Culverhouse is trying to lower expectations amongst fans etc. but have no doubt that he will be committed to Lynn getting in the play offs at the very least. I have a Norwich supporting neighbour ( don't we all) who is adamant that Culverhouse will get Lynn up and I have begun to see this neighbour as some type of guru as he's been right about a lot.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »
Stan I had no idea you lived next to me/KES ! :cheers:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
 :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 11:53:57 AM »
Ps can you sort your hedge out Stan, it's a mess and casting a huge shadow on my patch ! :oldman" :laughcry:

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 01:59:12 PM »
Stan I had no idea you lived next to me/KES ! :cheers:

perhaps he might live next to me; any case thanks Stan; by the way irlam York game had an early kick off I believe any ideas what the score is; talking about the Lynn York game ;a win there is not out of the question; but the chestnut is the game against Chester beat them at the fortress and we will be in paradise .see you all in the forum for the alfreton game he ho here we go again

jossmandarin5

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:10 PM »
 :cup2: :cheers: :cup: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: