Author Topic: Alfreton FA Cup  (Read 5057 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Alfreton FA Cup
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:20 PM »
Well, I know this is a contentious issue for many........for those of you who believe we should just survive this year, a cup run will be important.
My stance is that staying up there in the league will keep interest and attendances high, which should cover the £15k or so to be made from 2 rounds of the cup... assuming we can get past the Reds. I believe we have a chance of being in the mix in the league at the business end.
I think most of the players could do with a break, so I would use all the squad and two ressies and go for:

Bastock/Street
Wing backs   Shipp (?)   and Barrows
Centre backs Fryatt,Jarvis, Smith
Midfield  Richards, Carey, Payne, Kelly
Forward Stewart
Subs Joeseph  Taylor, Jones, Marriott, Bastock/Street.

Would play 3 5  1 1 with Kelly the one behind Stewart.
Jones for one of the centre halves at half time, maybe include Gilbert on bench and give him 20 mins at end to give another centre half some time off.

There, said my piece, now you can all shoot me down in flames !! :laughcry:

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
Re: Alfreton FA Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 02:43:58 PM »
Agree with you that the players need rotating and if we get injuries and suspensions they will need game time  before that

so I cant see a problem. if there is a problem it will be the need to get to the next round to get more prize money

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
I agree we need to give some of the players a blow out and some players deserve a rest, however.
 We have no real replacements for

Street
Fox
Fryatt
Smith
Gash

So yep the midfield can get a rest as can the right back.  Marriott has a rest a couple of games ago. Gash is so instrumental in the way we play I really think we could look very lightweight without his presence up top

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
Might be a bit of a curve ball for the Alfreton defence... expecting a big physical battle and end up having to cope with the ball on the deck ?
Obviously Gashy is irreplaceable and a vital cog in the league team, but I just feel Alfreton who are direct and set up to enjoy a battle might be thrown by it. Also the natural supply line of the back post ball wouldn't be there, (ie likes of Fox, Clunan,Jones rested) so not a massive change of style for those involved.....would need some of the midfielders to hang onto the ball and hold it up some of the time, so it doesn't come back too quickly, but I think it might work as a one off.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:32:36 PM »
Haven’t seen real problems against “physical” teams so far, and don’t recall Alfreton being particularly physical.  Even if they play it that way in the cup, either Alfreton will play some of the game with less than 11 men, or suffering from their stodgy physical lunks being danced round by Carey and Kelly, two players who must now play regularly...... So let’s be too slick for them and head for the next round with some of our players having rested before the big clash with York City.....

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
From Alfreton website Concessions are 65 and over

No news yet on segregation or turnstile entrance

https://www.alfretontownfootballclub.com/news/saturday-admission-details-confirmed-for-fa-cup-2466468.html

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Normal arrangements for turnstiles and parking are on here
Presumably they will apply as normal for Saturday

https://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/conference/conference-north/alfreton-town-impact-arena.html#adirections-and-car-parking

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 09:14:32 PM »
As Posted on another Thread:

Defence:  Rory McAuley 1 x Red + 2 x Yellows  - Ryan Fryatt 1 x Y - Nathan Fox 1 x Y  - Jones 2 x Y

Midfield:  Michael Clunan 2 x Y -  Sam Kelly 1 x Y - Chris Henderson 1 x Y

Strikers:  Michael Gash 2 x Y - Adam Marriott 1 x Y

We could do with "protecting" Jones, Clunan and Gash from FA Cup Yellows/Reds and keep them fresh and available for League Games.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 01:34:21 PM »
Haven’t seen real problems against “physical” teams so far, and don’t recall Alfreton being particularly physical.  Even if they play it that way in the cup, either Alfreton will play some of the game with less than 11 men, or suffering from their stodgy physical lunks being danced round by Carey and Kelly, two players who must now play regularly...... So let’s be too slick for them and head for the next round with some of our players having rested before the big clash with York City.....
Don't remember them being physical.You must have been watching a different game to me.If we play a weaker team and that means no Gash we will be out.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 09:55:19 AM »
So the excitement of the FA cup looming. We have already met Alfreton once this season and hopefully the opposition will manage to stay on their feet this time!! and no Oscars awarded for play acting. We need to field our strongest team and as long as we deal with the long hoofed ball we should be fine. Play our passing game and keep our temperament!
The magic of the FA Cup e.g. Ronnie Radford's Hereford goal against Newcastle; Brighton beating Wisbech 10-1 in the sixties ( I was there!).
Next after the FA Cup a weekend in York. Steam railways, chocolate , historical buildings and a decent performance from Lynn.
Exciting Days!
p.s. there is a steam railway just down the road from Alfreton ( Midland railway centre at Butterley)

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
Entrance to the ground for Linnets fans tomorrow is on Alma Street.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 01:49:42 PM »
I think IC may opt for a back 3 even without Ross being absent - Alfreton's front two caused problems in the home fixture and we did swap in the 2nd half albeit briefly as we then went down to 10 men.  As well as strengthening the midfield hopefully it should give a few more options as I thought we didn't move the ball quickly enough at the weekend vs Gloucester.  So my team would be:

Street
Fryatt, Jones, Smith
Clunan, Carey, Jarvis, Kelly, Fox
Marriott, Gash

Happy that you could bring in Burrows if Clunan or Jarvis needed a rest and possibly Payne for Fox.  Still think letting Toby go to Dereham was a mistake as there isn't much option up front, not that he is in anyway a like for like replacement for Gash (particularly in the form he is in) but he would be a more viable option than anything else we have in the squad.

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
I think IC may opt for a back 3 even without Ross being absent - Alfreton's front two caused problems in the home fixture and we did swap in the 2nd half albeit briefly as we then went down to 10 men.  As well as strengthening the midfield hopefully it should give a few more options as I thought we didn't move the ball quickly enough at the weekend vs Gloucester.  So my team would be:

Street
Fryatt, Jones, Smith
Marriott, Gash

Happy that you could bring in Burrows if Clunan or Jarvis needed a rest and possibly Payne for Fox.  Still think letting Toby go to Dereham was a mistake as there isn't much option up front, not that he is in anyway a like for like replacement for Gash (particularly in the form he is in) but he would be a more viable option than anything else we have in the squad.

You wouldn't play henderson? Thought he showed on the little time that he was on against gloucester what we was missing in the midfield and that was someone that wants to attack from midfield, or you keeping him as a backup to the front two?

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 02:30:30 PM »
I see York are likely to rest a few for tomorrow's cup game to allow them to get over knocks and be ready for the Lynn game.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

Street
Fryatt, Jones, Smith
Marriott, Gash

I would go for a 4 - 4 - 2 dropping Fox or Jarvis back to allow either Fox or Jones to venture forward as the situation allows. Keeping Barrows and Henderson as prime subs makes sense. Also got Richards, Stewart and Payne staying fresh for York.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.