Author Topic: Alfreton FA Cup  (Read 5047 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Alfreton FA Cup
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2019, 05:57:40 PM »
We have been keeping Stewart fresh all season WLM.... can't see him being used v York , so that makes no sense at all to me..how many of our best starting 11 are you suggesting we actually rest.......we seem to be trying to play the whole season with a squad of 15......sooner or later, due to suspensions or injuries, Stewart will be the only forward available and then maybe he will get a game. I don't see any point in having people in the squad if you are not going to use them sometimes in rotation.....otherwise get them out on loan and bring in someone we are going to use regularly. Stewart has looked sharp when I have seen him play... let's put some more faith in him and play the lad on Saturday.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2019, 07:09:04 PM »
On FA Cup theme Irlam v York City on BBC red button tomorrow 1230

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
This is so basic...these are young fit men who have not played for 7 days and will not play, again for 7 days...surely you older guys recall being young and fit..A game every 3 days is reasonable, so why are you suggesting resting? To much TV watching, there is no risk of fatigue in this sequence of fixtures, injuries a different story.  How to protect against injury and fatigue are two very different things . One is not possible, the other not required just now . Play the game with the team!!!!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:41 AM »
Realist, I think the game today is a lot different to football of say 20 years ago.  Players seem much fit and itís played at a higher tempo with many adopting a high pressing game. I agree players like goalkeeper can play and play.  Iím not sure a 30 something like Gash can keep
Performing at a high standard week after week throughout a season.  He is the one player we most need back up for and we havenít got it.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
Think you also have to factor in 11 games in 6 weeks before this, training, significant travel and the fact that they all are working in other jobs 5 days a week !

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2019, 01:06:36 PM »
I see York are likely to rest a few for tomorrow's cup game to allow them to get over knocks and be ready for the Lynn game.
York are more or less playing the same team against Irlam as they did last week against Darlington.

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 05:16:54 PM »
Nice to see the team out in full...the replay not ideal , but match fitness should be strong now , and barring injuries this team can maintain momentum. The FA cup is very prestigious at this level, and must be treated as such, win this tie and the next round, you have sponsored another decent player without adjusting the budget.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »
As you are a "realist", you will doubtless recognise that it wasn't quite the full team as some (per I C interview) were rested. As posted earlier, I see  playing most of the first eleven as a gamble , which now hopefully, since the club have gone down this route, will pay off. Hopefully Gash's ankle injury isn't too bad. There is still the replay to negotiate and another round before the club gets its £20k or so .
It will then need decent results at York and at home to Chester to back it up, to keep the momentum and to keep crowds at The Walks increasing. With 15/16 league matches to come at the Walks and say for arguments sake, £15 admission, then the £20k pot equates to just 85 people per each remaining home game. So should as a consequence of overstretching the squad, form dip and crowds fall (or not increase, as they might as the season moves on), by just 85 people per game, then the pot would be completely eroded.
That's the reality of the situation as I see it.

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
KES80..Reality is, the club is managing resource, the starting line up was within the expectations of most, as best available. This is good for the club and players, as I said FA Cup funds might be very useful if the squad frailties you refer are real. What do you want and expect? another Gash on the Bench? another Marriott on the Bench, Get real. The club is doing so well , but still not good enough for you. I understand your passion, but the concerns you have are not valid or realistic.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
Nice day out in Alfreton. Friendly town. Good ground and pitch. Draw a fair result with Alfreton's missed penalty and Adam hitting the post near the wnd. Lots of commitment from both sets of players. Looking forward to Tuesday and then the trip to York. Come on you Linnets!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »
KES80..Reality is, the club is managing resource, the starting line up was within the expectations of most, as best available. This is good for the club and players, as I said FA Cup funds might be very useful if the squad frailties you refer are real. What do you want and expect? another Gash on the Bench? another Marriott on the Bench, Get real. The club is doing so well , but still not good enough for you. I understand your passion, but the concerns you have are not valid or realistic.
You neither understand my concerns or position and don't seem to have really read my post.It is for the very reason that the club cannot afford another Gash, that I offer the alternative stance that I do.
Yes there is the carrot of money and exposure from a good cup run....but it is not quite the draw that many believe. Just look at today's attendances e.g. Hereford 1115 (league average 2,500) Telford 700 odd (1100) Alfreton 355 (450).
So as I have said, the revenues from good league attendance can be much more valuable.
If you wish to have a reasoned discussion, then I am all for it........

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 08:28:42 PM »
I would have been disappointed if I had gone today and seen a weakened team fielded by either side. I think Ian and the boys want to win every game and play with pride and passion. I have not been disappointed so far this season . I pay my admission enjoy ALL games and wouldnt have the audacity to tell Ian how he should select his teams.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »
You neither understand my concerns or position and don't seem to have really read my post.It is for the very reason that the club cannot afford another Gash, that I offer the alternative stance that I do.
Yes there is the carrot of money and exposure from a good cup run....but it is not quite the draw that many believe. Just look at today's attendances e.g. Hereford 1115 (league average 2,500) Telford 700 odd (1100) Alfreton 355 (450).
So as I have said, the revenues from good league attendance can be much more valuable.
If you wish to have a reasoned discussion, then I am all for it........

Were we not led to believe that the budget was based on average gates of 750/800 over the league games? So any extra revenue for all cups including prize money is a bonus? :dontknow: :bankrupt:
ďNo one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?Ē

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
Lynn fans love a cup run, last time was 2006, as well as making money it also puts the club on the map, with business and more fans will come out of the woodwork, £6500+ is not to be sniffed at, ask SC.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2019, 09:22:49 PM »
Evening Coastal. Firstly congratulations on the trip to Alfreton....glad you enjoyed it......a true supporter obviously.
As you say, a friendly part of the world.
The thread is certainly not about telling IC who to pick (as well you understand, I suspect) and in any case why on earth would IC pay any heed to me. If memory serves me you contributed to the thread earlier advocating a strong starting eleven, so you have done the same as me, albeit on the othet side of the fence.
I started the thread because I think it is important to actually look at the situation of a cup run from a clear financial perspective......there seems to be a general consensus that a run will generate extra revenue come what may.....I am just trying to show that this may not be the case if it adversely affects league form and related attendances. It is my view that the last two seasons have seen the main focus being on league results over cup runs. I personally believe that IC would do the same this year if he could. Hopefully the sorts of calculations I put forward here, are being done within the club, before they embark on a certain course of action ..it is in my opinion vital, so that the club makes the best use of its opportunities going forward, especially when it is currently a small fish in a big sea. I appreciate that many will find this a bit "cold", but it makes sense to me at least