Author Topic: Alfreton FA Cup  (Read 5040 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Re: Alfreton FA Cup
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
Lynn fans love a cup run, last time was 2006, as well as making money it also puts the club on the map, with business and more fans will come out of the woodwork, 6500+ is not to be sniffed at, ask SC.
Hi Mac and thanks for joining the discussion.
It will certainly bring money in. 6,500 is the reward for winning this round. There is over 2k just for competing in the round, so I believe the win 'bonus' is closer to 4k.
Just to put into perspective, the average Walks gate of around 1050 at 15 gives 15,750.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 09:44:17 PM »
KES80..Reality is, the club is managing resource, the starting line up was within the expectations of most, as best available. This is good for the club and players, as I said FA Cup funds might be very useful if the squad frailties you refer are real. What do you want and expect? another Gash on the Bench? another Marriott on the Bench, Get real. The club is doing so well , but still not good enough for you. I understand your passion, but the concerns you have are not valid or realistic.
You neither understand my concerns or position and don't seem to have really read my post.It is for the very reason that the club cannot afford another Gash, that I offer the alternative stance that I do.
Yes there is the carrot of money and exposure from a good cup run....but it is not quite the draw that many believe. Just look at today's attendances e.g. Hereford 1115 (league average 2,500) Telford 700 odd (1100) Alfreton 355 (450).
So as I have said, the revenues from good league attendance can be much more valuable.
If you wish to have a reasoned discussion, then I am all for it........

Were we not led to believe that the budget was based on average gates of 750/800 over the league games? So any extra revenue for all cups including prize money is a bonus? :dontknow: :bankrupt:
Yes provided the cup run doesn't affect league performance and attendances... important to keep the attendance well above the 750/800 break even figure.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 10:38:01 PM »
Lynn fans love a cup run, last time was 2006, as well as making money it also puts the club on the map, with business and more fans will come out of the woodwork, 6500+ is not to be sniffed at, ask SC.
Hi Mac and thanks for joining the discussion.
It will certainly bring money in. 6,500 is the reward for winning this round. There is over 2k just for competing in the round, so I believe the win 'bonus' is closer to 4k.
Just to put into perspective, the average Walks gate of around 1050 at 15 gives 15,750.

After factoring Concessions and season ticket holders, Id imagine the figure from an attendance of 1050is closer to 12,000.

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
You started the thread because you believe a cup run could be negative for the club, and that you feel the players need a rest. This is just silly, as confirmed by the more positive responses available here. A cup run can only be good, even the potential of TV rights if the run gets going.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 08:36:43 AM »
Yes, fair point L L. Probably better to put it, that by maintaining the attendance  at 1050 or better for league games, if the budgets are based on say 800, then that's 250 extra people per home game. They won't be season ticket holders, some will be concessions, some 15, some 17.
If I said on average 14 (?) that would equate to 3,500 per home game , plus any extras on drink or food. Of course the figure would be higher if crowds increase, as I certainly hope they do. So, at a conservative estimate, 3500 x 15 remaining home games gives 52,500 extra rev...say 50k as a rough fig. So important to maintain that if poss.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »
You started the thread because you believe a cup run could be negative for the club, and that you feel the players need a rest. This is just silly, as confirmed by the more positive responses available here. A cup run can only be good, even the potential of TV rights if the run gets going.
If the run really gets going, then the pay off would undoubtedly be ' game changing' in terms of what the club might be able to do in future seasons. Let's hope it does.
We can return to the situation as it unfolds.
At this moment in time, nothing has really happened ....ie no extra revenue and one (hopefully) minor injury.... let's see how it unfolds. The thread is not meant to be overly negative Realist, but to strike a word of caution, that cup runs are not always as beneficial as first thought.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »
Evening Coastal. Firstly congratulations on the trip to Alfreton....glad you enjoyed it......a true supporter obviously.
As you say, a friendly part of the world.
The thread is certainly not about telling IC who to pick (as well you understand, I suspect) and in any case why on earth would IC pay any heed to me. If memory serves me you contributed to the thread earlier advocating a strong starting eleven, so you have done the same as me, albeit on the othet side of the fence.
I started the thread because I think it is important to actually look at the situation of a cup run from a clear financial perspective......there seems to be a general consensus that a run will generate extra revenue come what may.....I am just trying to show that this may not be the case if it adversely affects league form and related attendances. It is my view that the last two seasons have seen the main focus being on league results over cup runs. I personally believe that IC would do the same this year if he could. Hopefully the sorts of calculations I put forward here, are being done within the club, before they embark on a certain course of action ..it is in my opinion vital, so that the club makes the best use of its opportunities going forward, especially when it is currently a small fish in a big sea. I appreciate that many will find this a bit "cold", but it makes sense to me at least
:oldman" Well KES, have sat back and read this thread as it progresses, have to say I can not agree with you on this one,  I would always take a winning settled team to every match you could in a season. I agree we have a squad to use but in realism, we have a very small squad of players compared to many, an odd change is ok but keep that winning side together. Whether it be a cup game or league game, I have always wanted any team I have represented or supported to go out and win. The money from any cup run must be a bonus and the further you can progress the financial rewards are vast to clubs of our stature, I really do not think a cup run will affect league attendances at the Walks. Our current level of support is verging on the maximum we can realistically hope for at this moment in time, and personally I feel will wain when the weather changes.  :farmer:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
Thank you Dazza for your considered and well put reply and I respect your opinion and can see where you are coming from. I just feel, that maintaining a highish position in the league would have a significant impact on attendances and income, even during the winter.
The Alfreton encounter has already in someways had more thrown at it than the York game. I was advocating giving key players effectively 2 weeks break to recharge and a clear week to train and plan for York.  Now the players will have played twice in that time, with limited time for preparation for York. I just hope there aren't further complications arising from Tuesday.
As we have said before, it's all about opinions, this game of football.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2019, 12:01:42 PM »
Mallard/KES80/Dazzarugby65: three is, apparently, the magic number. :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 12:20:23 PM »
Been listening too much to that neighbour Stan !

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Income from all league games, FA Cup runs, FA Trophy (?), League Cup and Friendlies combined with profits from various enterprises (refreshments, 50/50, programmes etc.) comes to ......... X.

We can never be sure what X will be, until the last game of the season and stock-check is done. We will now have Y.

How close to the expected X is Y?

Lots of factors and variables will affect X or Y. Good Gates, Bad Gates, Good Cup runs, Bad Cup Runs, Grissles in the Bar, Grissles not in the Bar  :laughcry:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
Mallard/KES80/Dazzarugby65: three is, apparently, the magic number. :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Like 3 wise Monkeys Stan.  Have all 3 ever been seen in the same room at the same time Stan ?  Maybe you should organise it.  In the same way as has Stan and Stephen Cleeve ever been seen in the same room together ?   :laughcry:

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »

Like 3 wise Monkeys Stan.  Have all 3 ever been seen in the same room at the same time Stan ?  Maybe you should organise it.  In the same way as has Stan and Stephen Cleeve ever been seen in the same room together ?   :laughcry:
I'm happy to meet that challenge.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2019, 10:28:50 AM »
A cup run can only be good, even the potential of TV rights if the run gets going.

That would certainly put the Club and the Town "on the map" again!
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!