Author Topic: York  (Read 6303 times)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: York
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
We all love the way Lynn are playing but you have to balance risks with rewards.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
IC might well tinker with things as the season progresses but canít see him changing his MO on the way he wants to his team to play.
 Iím loving the way we play, breath of fresh air. For sure we can improve, that may come with different bodies coming in and IC improving what we have.

Agreed Mallard, we play some very attractive and entertaining football and don't sit back and wait for the other team to take the initiative. Attack is the best form of Defence.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2019, 05:20:28 AM »
IC might well tinker with things as the season progresses but canít see him changing his MO on the way he wants to his team to play.
 Iím loving the way we play, breath of fresh air. For sure we can improve, that may come with different bodies coming in and IC improving what we have.

Agreed Mallard, we play some very attractive and entertaining football and don't sit back and wait for the other team to take the initiative. Attack is the best form of Defence.
In most instances I would agree with you Mike but if you listen to the York manager's interview after the game he argues the opposite of you: defence is the best form of attack and his side won 3-0!
Against the better sides away from home Lynn's open style of play isn't getting results and they've shipped a lot of goals.
From what I've seen, Lynn are technically a match for anyone in this league but they need a different strategy away from home, against the stronger sides, to convert that quality into points.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:54 AM »
Iím sure Stan we are gonna come unstuck at times on the Road.  IC is canny enough to adjust things as we go along. However I really canít see him ( nor would I want him to ) change the style he is playing.  We like to keep the ball but we also play with the option of hitting Gash early then playing off of him.  As IC has said numerous times that outlet gets up the field.

This season, to me is very much a learning process about the level we are at.  For IC and the squad.  I firmly believe we will get better as the season progresses. I also believe ( like you) we will make the top 7 ( play off places) but will continue to play a possession based game plan. 

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
Iím sure Stan we are gonna come unstuck at times on the Road.  IC is canny enough to adjust things as we go along. However I really canít see him ( nor would I want him to ) change the style he is playing.  We like to keep the ball but we also play with the option of hitting Gash early then playing off of him.  As IC has said numerous times that outlet gets up the field.

This season, to me is very much a learning process about the level we are at.  For IC and the squad.  I firmly believe we will get better as the season progresses. I also believe ( like you) we will make the top 7 ( play off places) but will continue to play a possession based game plan.
At no point have I suggested that Lynn should change their style of play. What I have suggested is that Lynn should have a plan B for the trickier away games.
This season is a learning process and Culverhouse is too smart not to make adjustments to the way Lynn set up in certain matches. I can guarantee that Culverhouse will change the way we set up and play in the trickier away games from now on. Winners adapt to changing circumstances and Culverhouse is a winner.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 08:22:34 AM »
Tinker adjust,  colour, color.   Think you are singing from the same hymn sheet as me.  I remember one of the play off games at The Walks last season Stan, when we went long got the opening 20/25 mins the opposition didnít know what had hit them. IC has taken on board the League game against the same opposition and switched it for the opening period.  Then we reverted back to our possession game.  Still think IC will stick with his principles but like you I also believe he will change for certain games or period of certain games.  I donít know if we can win ugly at the moment and donít see us having many 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
I think you might be referring to the Alvechurch match Mallard, where Lynn bypassed their midfield. Lynn often start on the front foot to try and get the early/ first goal to draw teams out. It's when that doesn't work that they sometimes appear to come unstuck.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
Just looking at the highlights: defending against attacks from wide areas very poor by Lynn. Perhaps, you're right Mallard: I'm sure Fryatt would have had some impact back there.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »
Thoughts on the three York goals:

Goal 1 - Aaron Jones could have got tighter Ė too passive - he was covered by Hendo Ė why Hendo? Ė should have been Clunan who had earlier got drawn out left when he didnít need toĖ Hendo covered him Ė Alfie Payne and McCauley didnít pick up  - easy tap-in at the far post - communication between Payne and McCauley suspect.

Goal 2 - Alfie Payne doesnít track his man Ė back line are dawdling Ė communication between McCauley and Payne again suspect. Payne's man taps in.

Goal 3 - Third goal Ross Barrows gets his starting position all wrong giving York player an easy header.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »
Wasnít me who mentioned Fryatt Stan. Think you are mixing me with someone else again.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:05 PM »
Agree with you on the goals Stan.

On the first Jones should have got a block in to stop that cross not just hung out a limp leg,  the defenders in the middle should have been touch tight instead of letting players have the freedom of the 6 yard box. 

The 2nd neither McAuley or Payne picked anyone up and guy ran through unopposed for a simple finish.

The 3rd Barrows seemed to get completely underneath the ball and the guy had a free jump and pinned him in the process.

We play great football but we have to also need to do the nasty part of the game, getting bodies in the way and going with and checking off the runners.

Can guess what IC will be working on in training this week. I wonder if goals 2 and 3 would have happened had Jarv been on the field.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2019, 04:59:00 PM »
We are playing the way that will mostly brings success.  Teams that try to ďwin uglyĒ donít win very often.  No need to alter style for Home or Away.  We have speed and guile in midfield, any 2 from 3 in central defence, and goal scoring front men.  Thatís all we need to make the play-offs, IMHO.  Weíll lose some, of course, but not many if we attack in numbers, and get 10 behind the ball (including the GK) to produce a ďforest of legsĒ. Ask Gash to be one of that 10, and get two quicker ones to be ready to counter.  Have faith in our on the ground style - we look too good for most and therefore capable of promotion....  If we mainly defend away, weíll lose more often....

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 08:14:56 AM »
Wasnít me who mentioned Fryatt Stan. Think you are mixing me with someone else again.
Goodness, not again ! Or was it you ?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2019, 09:19:10 AM »
Goodness, not again ! Or was it you ?

More tag-team nonsense!

Presumably, you will "both" be at the Chester game? I'll stand you "both" a drink. Perhaps the third man: Dazza will join us!

I think my money's safe  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
Stan, I hope ya not a betting man. If you are, to show you what a Sportsman I am iíll Give you odds of 100/1  that KES is not me and Iím not him.

Now how deep are your pockets ?