Author Topic: Tactics On The Pitch  (Read 719 times)

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Tactics On The Pitch
« on: October 10, 2019, 09:18:01 AM »
Each game needs preparation to meet the perceived threat and tactics of the other team. How the Manager sets up formations, attacking strategy and defending policies will be determined by their information on the way the other team tends to perform.

Ian Culverhouse will have watched video, sent watchers and spoken to many others to glean what he can about each team. Half time talk and "hair dryer" moments will be based on how both teams are performing in the first half.

Fans watching the game will have many differing thoughts of what should be happening and changes to formations, players, positions and tactics.

Are there any tactics that Lynn should be (in our humble opinions) using  :dontknow:

I will start you off with my old chestnut - a player wide on the far side from the attack, waiting for the overhit/long ball/ball squirting out. There always seems to be lost chances for that 2nd ball into the box.

No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Tactics On The Pitch
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:03:50 AM »
Or Mike how about getting the players in wide positions to deliver more accurately into the 2nd 6 yard box areas ?

I watched Chester early doors in the season. Big team, quite direct and scrap for everything in the middle Of the park.  Think thatís the battle we have to win. 

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »
Or Mike how about getting the players in wide positions to deliver more accurately into the 2nd 6 yard box areas ?

I watched Chester early doors in the season. Big team, quite direct and scrap for everything in the middle Of the park.  Think thatís the battle we have to win.

The crossed ball arriving into the box very often gets headed, punched or partially cleared to far side where ...... no one is waiting!

If Chester are allowed to dominate the midfield then defend in depth and attack over the top.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »

Can IC come up with the combination that can compete in the middle?  Do we look to be more solid early on with Clunan, Jarvis & Payne or play our usual attacking option (probably Henderson) but risk losing that key battle?  I would certainly go with a back three to allow Jones & Fox to push that little bit further up into the midfield to allow the two/three lads in the middle to put in the hard yards - Gash & Marriott up top are a handful for most teams.  Big thing for me on Saturday (and any game really) is that we go out to dominate possession and play the ball around, not many even at step 2 can keep us out when we move the ball quickly.