Author Topic: Keith and Freddie  (Read 3003 times)

Nigel1505

• View Profile
Keith and Freddie
« on: October 25, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
I wish I lived closer, would love to be there on the night. Remember well, when they played for Lynn, can't place Dave Clark though,(but i'm glad all over, that i remember the other four, (one for the oldies there), must have been before/after my time.  :scarf:

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
Re: Keith and Freddie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
Dave Clarke was a speedy left-winger in Reg Davies team of the 1960s to early 70s. Joined Lynn from Notts County and provided good service to strikers Malcolm Lindsay and Bryan Jenkins.  Lynn more than held their own in the Southern League premier in what was then generally regarded as a ‘fifth’ division to the Football League.

Les Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
Did he play at Lynn at the same time as the ex-Spurs winger Cliff Jones? Also, am I right thinking that one of the Charles brothers played at The Walks for Merthyr(?) in the late 60s/early 70s?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »
I remember him well, and as Colin says, a speedy left winger.

I'm 63 now, and think he would have been playing around the time I was 7 - 10 years of age.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
Lynn more than held their own in the Southern League premier in what was then generally regarded as a ‘fifth’ division to the Football League.

Very much so, and The Walks was considered by many to be "one of the best non league grounds in the country".
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 04:44:34 PM »
Were Lynn players full time then or semi ?  Must have been drawing in big crowds in those days.  I guess they always kept their head above water during this era.

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »
Cliff Jones played briefly for Lynn in Dave Clarke’s time but on the right wing. I think the other great Welshman mentioned, the Gentle Giant, John Charles, was player-manager at Hereford.
Lynn usually topped 1500 for home games and against the likes of Cambridge Utd, Chelmsford, Romford, Yeovil, nearer to 2,000.  I think they were part-time, like most non-league teams then. Davies was a fine footballer but at the end of his playing career. Like today’s Lynn team they looked to attack with Mick Wright and Dave Brooks driving forces in midfield.  Lindsay and Jenkins were consistent goalscorers while Clarke, Ronnie Bacon and later Ray Savino provided genuine width as traditional wingers.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »
Brookes, with an E
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »
We will be selling tickets for this event ahead of the game on Saturday. Tickets need to be purchased ahead of the evening so we know numbers for food. It promises to be a great evening and the kind of event that many asked the club to host after the clubroom was decorated and rebranded.   

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
 :oldman" :farmer: This is really great to see, the club starting to use the facilities they have at there disposal. I genuinely hope this proves to be a great success and possibly lead to possible future evenings with more ex Linnets and possibly ex professionals should the demand be there. Here's hoping this is a great success and more to follow.  :farmer:  :oldman"

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
Further information on tickets for this event:

Please contact David Wright on 01553 840150 or 07847 466465.

Tickets will be available at the ground at Saturday's game in the café before the match and at half time. Then in the Blue & Gold Sports Bar after the game.

A raffle will take place during the legends evening in support of the MANarama prostate cancer campaign. 

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
Cliff Jones scored 34 goals in a season for KL, I think I’m right in saying, but was somehow cynically thought to be here to “pick up the money !”......  Seems unlikely, because he had been in the Spurs Double winning team in 1962, and the Welsh World Cup Quarter finalists in 1958 when they lost only 1-0 to Pele’s Brazil !  The Southern Premier was indeed considered to be the top non-league, and many of the clubs have since made the Football League.  The ground was looked on as one of the best non-league in the country, but has sadly not developed like many of its contemporaries.  Big crowd needed against Altrincham who have often been the top non-league club in the country.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 06:43:20 PM »
Cliff Jones scored 34 goals in a season for KL, I think I’m right in saying, but was somehow cynically thought to be here to “pick up the money !”...... 

I think it was thirteen.
1970-71 season,   Laurie Brown dropped him from the Lynn team for the FA Trophy match against Bedford despite him being the leading scorer at the time (Lynn lost). Later that season Jones moved to Bedford and scored against Lynn in March 1971.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 09:20:54 AM »
 :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Tonight at the Walks (see Home page)!

6.30 for 7.00 start. I'm not sure if tickets still have to be purchased before the event, or if its now pay on the door.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
Reg Davies was a close friend of the Jones family and Cliff signed for him. He was not wealthy as he had been scammed by a partner in a Butchers business in London.  He was a wonderful man and took his last Cap for Wales (Prince of Wales investiture) to Bedford in a Lynn game and he showed it to supporters in the bar after the game! He was a remarkably brave player, and when Reg was side-lined as manager, Laurie Brown came in, Cliff said he was not playing for him! At Spurs, he said he was a braggart, pain in the bum, who was not a good man or player. He left after a game at Gloucester to go to Bedford!! Still fit and healthy fitness fanatic at 80 years old with amazing room of mementoes!! He was paid £50 bonus when Spurs won the double!