Author Topic: Who was/is the better striker: Defty or Marriot ?  (Read 1134 times)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Who was/is the better striker: Defty or Marriot ?
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:43:32 PM »
I was originally going to put Defty or Gash but Gash's goal-scoring not a patch on Defty.

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
Re: Who was/is the better striker: Defty or Marriot ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:54:32 PM »
Defty or Gash more comparable than Defty or Marriott , they're two completely different types of striker, imo
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:59:25 PM »
Totally different players but in my opinion Adam Marriott is more skilful of the two

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:29:53 PM »
1. Marriott.  2 Defty.  3 Gash.  BUT....  We saw Adam and Jack in their prime, but Michael, maybe not.  They also played at different levels - but they’re certainly the best 3 since Malcolm Lindsay....

Ap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:15:09 PM »
1. Marriott.  2 Defty.  3 Gash.  BUT....  We saw Adam and Jack in their prime, but Michael, maybe not.  They also played at different levels - but they’re certainly the best 3 since Malcolm Lindsay....

I'll throw into the mix:
Kevin Ready? Andy Hunt? Mark Paul? Jackie Gallagher?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 05:43:20 AM »
Andy only played a few first team games before being sold to Kettering under Peter Morris. Then went to Newcastle, WBA and Charlton.  Think he had at least one season as Charlton’s leading scorer in the Premiership.   He told me a funny story of when Kevin Keegan took over at Newcastle and wanted to sell him to Motherwell.

As for Gash and Marriott they very much remind me of  Defty and Bloomfield as a pairing.  No idea on the stats of each pairing.   Now having Big Jack and Adam Marriott together would have been some pairing.

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:13 AM »
Without question and with hindsight jack defty in his prime was the best all round frontman for many a year..His hold up play was second to none, coupled with a phenomenal goal-scoring record. Gash is a very, very good front man at this time but if we are to compare, IMO defty wins hands down with the goal ratio.. as for Marriott you cannot compare jack alongside adam as stature and style dictates they are poles apart.. But imagine the two together, now that would be a match made in heaven🙏 Nevertheless I am thoroughly enjoying gash/ Marriott combo for this team and long may it continue 👏🏻👏🏻 UTL 💙

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »
I was originally going to put Defty or Gash but Gash's goal-scoring not a patch on Defty.

I’d say it’d be a mistake to judge Gash just on his goal scoring record; he’s more of a goal maker than a goal scorer.

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 07:53:27 AM »
Strikers are judged on there goal-scoring not build-up play or assists albeit an asset if possible🤔

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »

I’d say it’d be a mistake to judge Gash just on his goal scoring record; he’s more of a goal maker than a goal scorer.

:farmer: :oldman" agreed, Michael Gash creates havoc amongst defenders and provides lots of goalscoring opportunities for others, do not judge just on his goals scored,as he brings so much more to the team.
I also have to say the statement by dillydilly about the best striker since Malcolm Lindsay is open to debate, just one name I would like to add in there is Brett McNamara. There are more over the years I could add,but as I said open to debate and personal opinions. :farmer:  :oldman"

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:37:40 AM »
In terms of their usefulness to Lynn, at the time in their careers that they played for Lynn, I suppose it's reasonable to debate. But in terms of their quality, I suggest just refer to who they have played for in their careers. Lynn would and could not get Gash at his prime......and at this time of his career, his mobility, effort and contribution to the team is outstanding, so it's clear who I would go for.
Marriott is a completely different type of player to the other two, so I can't include him in any comparison.

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
It’s something all football fans love to do - comparing different generations of players. But extremely difficult because football has changed so much in terms of fitness. Two points to make: all strikers are dependent on the quality of service and most work better as a pairing.
Lynn have had some fine combinations going back to Lindsay/Laverick, Lindsay/Jenkins, MacNamara/Hudson, Defty/Bloomfield, Defty/Nolan, and now Gash and Marriott.
Defty had good all round qualities and fine passing ability.  He also defended resolutely when needed.  I feel sure he could have reached a much higher level with a yard or two more of pace.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »
Spot on Colin.  Also have to factor in the standard the club is playing at.  I would say Marriott scoring goals for fun at step 2 is right up there.  Would he be scoring these amount of goals with a Micheal Gash ?   Well that’s open to argument.

kenny r

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
Kevin Ready / Martin Coupe. 40? goals each in a season.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »
Yes Ken, with Martin Twigger also netting regularly as well.