Author Topic: Hereford  (Read 9551 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Hereford
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 08:27:25 AM »
To me the Clubs attendances are now on a slow burn.  The promotion
And subsequent success has seen  a decent uplift from last season.  It’s now at level where we are not going to see any massive uplift ( Boxing Day Boston and York later, apart).  I think we will see it hold its current level as long as the Team remains successful.  If we were to gain promotion ( big if and big ask) then the start of next season will be the time of any massive uplift. 

Reading the Chairmans notes from Saturday it seems he has been inundated with good ideas but it’s back to the lack of personal within the club to take these ideas forward.  I would suggest the Chairman bites the bullet and get the person/people involved to make these ideas happen and increase the commercial revenue at the Club.  It is very limited to keep going back to the same people are asking them to cough even more each time.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2019, 11:29:56 AM »
Draw for the next round live at 12.45    https://talksport.com/radioplayer/live/talksport2.html

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
Win the replay at home to Dover. :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

bobbyskins

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
Should be a good test as Dover have the best away record in league

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »

Small matter of going to Hereford midweek to overcome first. 

As much as IC and his squad keep producing great results, maybe Saturday was a bit of a wake up call - we swapped a few in and out and that maybe combined with a slightly heavier pitch meant we weren't that fluent, particularly first half, IC changed the shape multiple times during the course of the game but I think the damage was done in how we started - looking to go long too early and we never really got into our stride.  We need to bring the likes of Carey through but it can be a pretty unforgiving environment at times, fans just need to be patient and accept that whilst we are a good side, we can't expect to turn teams over every week - particularly in a cup game where the opposition have set up to play for the replay from the off.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »

Small matter of going to Hereford midweek to overcome first. 

As much as IC and his squad keep producing great results, maybe Saturday was a bit of a wake up call - we swapped a few in and out and that maybe combined with a slightly heavier pitch meant we weren't that fluent, particularly first half, IC changed the shape multiple times during the course of the game but I think the damage was done in how we started - looking to go long too early and we never really got into our stride.  We need to bring the likes of Carey through but it can be a pretty unforgiving environment at times, fans just need to be patient and accept that whilst we are a good side, we can't expect to turn teams over every week - particularly in a cup game where the opposition have set up to play for the replay from the off.

If we wish to progress I think we need Clunan and Henderson on from the start.
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Linnet64

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »
Does having more home games on Radio Norfolk and almost every game the score being updated live make a difference to the attendances?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2019, 05:01:30 AM »
Too soon to be really worried, but realistically, the question is creeping into the background as to whether the people of King’s Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level, even in reaching the EFL itself, even maintaining our current level.  Considering the incredible season we have had so far, we certainly shouldn’t be relying on travelling supporters to pull our attendance up to a thousand.  We either need to double the crowd or somehow obtain a proper commercial strategy and policy.
Dilly, you should be flattered that the Great One has pronounced your post "sensible" but just remember that
10 sides in the National League function on attendances of 1,400 or less. Lynn aren't a million miles away from that.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2019, 08:05:06 AM »
How many of those 10 teams are full time Stan ?  In fact are there any clubs at that level now part time ?   Must have a wage bill in excess of (circa) £750k. That isn’t funded by 1400
Gates.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:08 PM »
... just remember that 10 sides in the National League function on attendances of 1,400 or less. Lynn aren't a million miles away from that.

OK Stan, looking at the current 'bottom 5' National teams in the attendance table, basically below 1300 which wouldn't be an unrealistic figure for us should we be promoted (certainly budgeting for anything above that would be very optimistic / reckless).  Three of these clubs (Boreham Wood, Harrogate & Maidenhead) have artificial surfaces available that looks like it provides an additional source of income - something not available to Lynn and a source of frustration to SC reading his notes from the weekend and Maidenhead also benefit from a peppercorn rent on their ground.  I would also guess that 4 of these 5 have a much greater opportunity commercially with maybe only Dover in a similar position to ourselves in terms of the surrounding business community.

So, 'could' we survive in the National, going full-time with all that would entail?  Unlikely in my view based on the current infrastructure at the club but I would accept that there are others currently plying their trade in the National who might provide some answers as to how it could be done in the future.  Btw all of the clubs in that bottom 5 look to have much better facilities than ourselves, maybe once the ground improvements for step 2 are secured this could be something again that is looked at although the Walks site doesn't make that easy, but might be a useful step towards attaining National league football.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2019, 05:48:24 PM »
Too soon to be really worried, but realistically, the question is creeping into the background as to whether the people of King’s Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level, even in reaching the EFL itself, even maintaining our current level.  Considering the incredible season we have had so far, we certainly shouldn’t be relying on travelling supporters to pull our attendance up to a thousand.  We either need to double the crowd or somehow obtain a proper commercial strategy and policy.
Ok Tony (& Mallard) Dilly, in the post above raises the question of "whether the people of King's Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level." He is clearly talking about fans and attendances in that statement, suggesting that there is not enough demand in the community. By citing the fact that 10 National League clubs have attendances that are not much higher than Lynn's, for me is pretty clear evidence that our fan base is potentially a National League fanbase thus challenging his concern.
My post was not about whether the club has the financial or management infrastructure to cope with the National League. From what I can see, as an outsider, I would say that it doesn't and have said so on an earlier post when I agreed wholeheartedly with Mallard in that regard.
So, Gentlemen, I hope that clarifies my position and that we can all agree that the club does have a potentially National League fanbase but does not yet have the other essentials necessary to survive at Step 1.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2019, 05:58:40 PM »
Fair post Stan.  I’d like to argue with it, but I can’t.   :laughcry: :clap:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »
Ok Tony (& Mallard) Dilly, in the post above raises the question of "whether the people of King's Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level." He is clearly talking about fans and attendances in that statement, suggesting that there is not enough demand in the community. By citing the fact that 10 National League clubs have attendances that are not much higher than Lynn's, for me is pretty clear evidence that our fan base is potentially a National League fanbase thus challenging his concern.
My post was not about whether the club has the financial or management infrastructure to cope with the National League. From what I can see, as an outsider, I would say that it doesn't and have said so on an earlier post when I agreed wholeheartedly with Mallard in that regard.
So, Gentlemen, I hope that clarifies my position and that we can all agree that the club does have a potentially National League fanbase but does not yet have the other essentials necessary to survive at Step 1.

Sorry Stan but you are twisting things to the point of complete nonsense - we are not in a similar position to some of the clubs you have compared Lynn with so therefore we don't have a 'National League' fanbase (whatever that may be) as Lynn's fanbase would have much more to cover than some other clubs - if we find a benefactor with really deep pockets who wants to subsidise the club for a year or two that still wouldn't change the fact, in the same way that ultimately Histon didn't have a National League fanbase as shown all too clearly when their benefactor pulled the finance. 

Owners will come and go (some sooner than hoped, some later) but we are probably playing at as high a level as the current fanbase and owner can support, particularly in light of SC's last two programme notes that attendance receipts are a good way shy of where he needs them to be.  Therefore the club has, at best, a 'National North' fanbase (there are currently 9 teams in our league with higher attendances if that makes you feel better)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
Tony, the only thing "twisting" is your misunderstanding of a very simple position. You're missing my point matey. I'll get back to you.