Author Topic: Hereford  (Read 7821 times)

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: Hereford
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »
whether the people of King’s Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level,
Tony, let's try it this way: how do you interpret Dilly's contention above? I ask this because I believe that it is the source of our disagreement.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2019, 08:53:56 PM »
Half-time of another impressive start for our team at Hereford, so opportunity to join the discussion.  I believe the record we have this season should have us pulling in crowds as good as the “big” games of the last couple of years.  The Slough game showed the kind of latent interest there is in the area, and our performances should surely be creating that level of interest.  The fact that it isn’t makes me think that perhaps we are not the “sleeping giant” we have always thought and boasted.  This is not pessimism or negativity, it is reluctant realism.  But we’re not too late.  We have a very exciting rest of season left, and if IC, SC, players and staff an keep it up, we just might see a real upturn in attendance.  Spread the word !  But, inevitably, we must get a commercial scheme up and running on a proper basis.......  COYL !

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2019, 10:03:05 PM »
... whether the people of King’s Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level, even in reaching the EFL itself, even maintaining our current level.  Considering the incredible season we have had so far, we certainly shouldn’t be relying on travelling supporters to pull our attendance up to a thousand.  We either need to double the crowd or somehow obtain a proper commercial strategy and policy.

Stan, just for clarity, I would agree with the final sentence (prefer both) and to me it's pretty clear that currently there isn't sufficient support in the local area to support a National League side at the Walks.  Whether IC's team 'deserves' greater attendances is a moot point - the attendance is the number of people who are willing to pay to come and watch.  Yes, this could grow over time but it won't be an overnight fix and I think a period of 'establishing ourselves' at step 2 plus the odd cup run would be a realistic short term aim whilst consolidating the core supporter base.  I do totally agree with this part of DD's later post

...makes me think that perhaps we are not the “sleeping giant” we have always thought and boasted.  This is not pessimism or negativity, it is reluctant realism...

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »
Great result tonight, don't think it should be underestimated what it takes to go that distance midweek and produce the performances/results that IC and his squad have been getting.  Back to the league Saturday so need to refocus but also hoping that we get a good crowd for Dover - real test and might be stretching some budgets with four consecutive Saturdays on the bounce, what can we (the fans) do to see the gate over 1500?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2019, 10:37:10 PM »
Tony,  the gates are short of what most clubs enjoy in the National League.  Do you believe Kings Lynn ( and district) has the potential to support a Club in the top tier of Non League Football?

You say that it would be beneficial to have a few seasons at this level to consolidate crowds.  What was the average crowd for the last time we played at this level when we were a very mediocre team at this level ? 

It’s a gamble which ever way we go.  It’s not like The Chairman can say to IC, I don’t want promotion this season.  If it’s on then surely the Club as a whole has to give it a real good go. 

Think the commercial side failings are the Club have been well documented.  The thing is for the club to progress then we need all our ducks lined up in a row. We have to capitalise on every advantage we have.

Could the Chairman do more to bring in extra revenue ?
Could the fans do more to bring more friends, family etc ?
Could the media department do more to spread the word ?

If the answers to all the above is yes then that’s a start point.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »
Mallard asks about “potential”.  I believe we do have that potential.  As well as the disadvantage of our geographical position, it is also a distinct advantage available to very few other clubs.......  It means we have a catchment of approx 120,000 people with no club in competition with us at this level.  But we have to attract those potential additions to our regular gate.  I’ve always believed our ground is not impressive enough, in terms of comfort and development to sufficiently interest those “armchair fans” and once again, the only way that problem can be addressed is through a proper financial structure, to enable ground improvement enough to impress the missing many throughout West Norfolk.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2019, 06:15:03 AM »
... whether the people of King’s Lynn and surrounding area are truly interested in playing at national level, even in reaching the EFL itself, even maintaining our current level.  Considering the incredible season we have had so far, we certainly shouldn’t be relying on travelling supporters to pull our attendance up to a thousand.  We either need to double the crowd or somehow obtain a proper commercial strategy and policy.

Stan, just for clarity, I would agree with the final sentence (prefer both) and to me it's pretty clear that currently there isn't sufficient support in the local area to support a National League side at the Walks.  Whether IC's team 'deserves' greater attendances is a moot point - the attendance is the number of people who are willing to pay to come and watch.  Yes, this could grow over time but it won't be an overnight fix and I think a period of 'establishing ourselves' at step 2 plus the odd cup run would be a realistic short term aim whilst consolidating the core supporter base.  I do totally agree with this part of DD's later post

...makes me think that perhaps we are not the “sleeping giant” we have always thought and boasted.  This is not pessimism or negativity, it is reluctant realism...
But Tony, ten National League sides function on attendances that are not much higher than Lynn's. If they can do it why can't Lynn?

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »
 :oldman"  :farmer: Does 715 attendance at Hereford last night,put to bed a lot of people questioning our attendance against the same team on Saturday. I firmly believe our attendance was good on Saturday and compare our attendance in accordance with other teams in our league and we certainly had a higher percentage of regular fans in. It is the early stages of the trophy and attendance will pick up the further we progress, many families can not afford to attend all games,so indeed priorities,given Christmas 🎄 also just around the corner,all the insecurities in modern life,our attendance on Saturday was I believe good. As I have stated on threads before I feel personally that 1500 people through the turnstiles is around as good as KLTFC could realistically hope for on a regular basis. There will be matches when this figure is exceeded and I feel we have at least 2 large gates to come later in the season,maybe more if we are still fighting for the title and involved in the latter stages of the trophy.
Onwards and upwards and I just felt I had to post this as in my nearly 50 years of attending matches at the Walks, we have always had peaks and troughs in attendance and this will always continue in my humble opinion.  :oldman" :farmer:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »

But Tony, ten National League sides function on attendances that are not much higher than Lynn's. If they can do it why can't Lynn?

Do we know how these 10 clubs are funded to offset the attendance level ?

Are they part-time with a low budget
A board of directors who prop the thing up
A highly polished Commercial department
3G pitch and a stadium that brings money in to make up the shortfall.

To easy to compare eggs with oranges if we don’t have the full facts.

Lynn and Stephen Cleeve ( after all there is only him) have to find a way of making the Club self sufficient and sustainable.  At whatever level we find ourselves.  That’s the big challenge.

I still feel a lot more could be achieved from commercial activity with local business.   I was reading updates last night and saw Gordon Chilvers state that the club never made any attempt to retain his sponsorship.   Ok, I would suggest it wouldn’t be a huge amount but it all adds up. That long time sponsor seems to now be lost to the club as he is putting his money in elsewhere.

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
I can see both sides of each discussion here , but for me over the last 15 years of watching lynn 1000 to 1200  is the average best we can get then bumped up attendances for the bigger games or teams
We get 1600 to see Chester (say 1500lynn)  then 1000 for next home games ... the Chester game was most probably and well documented as one of the best games seen so how after watching that do 400-500 not think about coming back until let’s say Dover or Boston , York????
But then that’s most probably same in premier all fans want to see Chelsea but following week Burnley not so appealing.
I feel for ic and sc as I personally think they’re going above and beyond this season  and to be honest wouldn’t want to even guess how to run the club better than sc my heart says let’s go for it ... my head says could it damage our resurrecting club again ??
While I’m on subject of fans well done to the 11 fans that went down last night ... that’s some loyalty perhaps another 1600 like them we need  :bus:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »
Blue boy I would suggest the current level of top of the League at Step is unprecedented for a good few years, let alone the last 10-15 years. Factor in the standard and style of Football that is being produced at The Walks then I would say further more we are in unchartered waters on this one. 

For sure of course people can’t be forced to attend but that doesn’t mean we have to stop beating the drum.  I think it will continue to be a slow burn and the deeper into the season we go the more the average attendance will creep up.  Subject of course to the continuing success of the team.

All credit to the 11 fans who travelled last night. Great commitment, which is more than can be said for our media team, non of which could travel.   That’s something that needs a more professional approach if we were to move up a level.

GrahamB

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »
I  would , Mallard, consider your last statement regarding the media team to be unfair. None of these posts I believe are paid posts by the club. Therefore due to previous work commitments and an unfortunate family bereavement no one was able to travel at short notice. If it is such an issue could you not have gone and posted for the rest of us , who had work commitments, or someone on your behalf?

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2019, 11:29:37 AM »
Go back years ago, late 1950's/1960's, and look at the attendance's then. Money was tighter then, and if my memory is correct the stadium was packed, or it was just when I went with my Grandfather. Is this true, or is my memory wrong. I can remember standing underneath the main stand and it was like being on the tube in London. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
Nigel, you are not wrong, I used to go with my father in the 50s and early 60s, we would stand behind the goal at the hospital end, which in those days  was well banked, with a huge scoreboard, at times to would climb the ladder onto the score board and sit on the walkway, great view! At times it would be so packed, the children were allowed to sit on the grass, at their own risk of course. while we are talking about attendances the last full season we had in the northern section, Blue Square , our average attendance was 987, which was second best, and we finished 17th! We do have 2 big paydays to come, Boston and York, but if we stay in contention there is no reason we should not get 1200/1400 most games, for £15 its great value. Quick comment on last night, we have to find room for Kelly and Carey. Well done lads.   

Blue_and_Gold

• Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »
Go back years ago, late 1950's/1960's, and look at the attendance's then. Money was tighter then, and if my memory is correct the stadium was packed, or it was just when I went with my Grandfather. Is this true, or is my memory wrong. I can remember standing underneath the main stand and it was like being on the tube in London. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.
I think your memory serves you very well.

My Father used to take me to the games from when I was 7 years of age (63 now). I'm sure mid week games used to be on a Wednesday then, and yes it was packed. So packed, that loads of people used to leave two minutes before the end, to avoid the queues to get OUT of the ground (and there were still queues, even then).

One of the main difference between then and now, is that 50 plus years ago, football was very much the working mans game. I'm sure that the cost of entry against income was much lower. I can't remember exactly how much it was to get in (although I can remember how much Cyril Crane used to charge for his Speedway), but I can say with certainty that if Football, anywhere, not just KL, was  as expensive then as it is now my Father would never have gone, let alone take me.

And of course, there were not so many other activities in those days where people could spend their money.

Anyone remember the entrance cost in early to mid 60's?
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!