Author Topic: Hereford  (Read 7820 times)

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
Re: Hereford
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:21 PM »
B and G, adults a shilling (5p) for me it was sixpence, 2 1/2 p, the programme was a sickly yellow colour and was 3p, this was 1960. And we would have  3P cup of tea from one of the small tea bars on each end of the small stand.

Blue_and_Gold

• Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »
B and G, adults a shilling (5p) for me it was sixpence, 2 1/2 p, the programme was a sickly yellow colour and was 3p, this was 1960. And we would have  3P cup of tea from one of the small tea bars on each end of the small stand.

Thanks. I thought it was around that amount, but didn't want to guess.

Very much the working mans game in those days (before prawn sandwiches).

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2019, 12:49:39 PM »
Good points made by Blue and Gold. Attendances generally were higher in non league in the 50s and 60s and Lynn regularly attracted 1500 - and more for local derbies against Wisbech, the Cambridge clubs etc. The old Eastern Pro Floodlit League usually pulled in over 1000.  One of the attractions for me, as a young football fan, was the chance to see former internationals like John Charles, Cliff Jones, Reg Davies, Ted Ditchburn etc. Can you imagine todayís Premier League players needing to prolong their careers in non league?

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2019, 12:58:40 PM »
 :farmer: :oldman" There are so many more sporting events and cinemas and concerts etc etc, for people to now spend the income they have spare on now as opossed to years gone bye. Most families not only have 1 car but generally more, this means transportation to other events is easier than in the past. Many people with young families will say perhaps go to McDonald's,Burger King and then visit a cinema, there is hockey at lynnsport(free to watch) as is rugby at West Norfolk rufc to namebut a few, we are competing against.
Just as another point of interest, Only 10 days ago Northampton Saints Rugby were offering 3 matches in the European Champions cup for a total cost of £40 for adults, this is the equivalent competition as champions league football,so this is a slight journey by car but very reasonable priced sport, not a million miles down the road.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:24 PM »
Tony,  the gates are short of what most clubs enjoy in the National League.  Do you believe Kings Lynn ( and district) has the potential to support a Club in the top tier of Non League Football?
Currently no, in the future, possibly but getting to the numbers required will take time, hence...
You say that it would be beneficial to have a few seasons at this level to consolidate crowds.  What was the average crowd for the last time we played at this level when we were a very mediocre team at this level ? 
1058.  We are on our highest average attendance since 86-87 which is another reason to doubt there are another 500 fans just waiting for National League football to come to the Walks.  I don't doubt attendances would rise with higher profile opposition, greater away support etc but given the radical shake up required to the cost base and squad (how many could afford to or would even want to go full time) I can't see how the numbers add up
https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/attendances-compared2019.php
Itís a gamble which ever way we go.  Itís not like The Chairman can say to IC, I donít want promotion this season.  If itís on then surely the Club as a whole has to give it a real good go. 
I think that would be speculating for disaster not for accumulation.  I am not saying we 'throw games' but if we can't afford the current squad I hope SC resists any pressure to add to that burden after Christmas, at least until the ground improvements are complete and paid for, remember the last time we were at this level it wasn't results on field that got us relegated.
Think the commercial side failings are the Club have been well documented.  The thing is for the club to progress then we need all our ducks lined up in a row. We have to capitalise on every advantage we have.

Could the Chairman do more to bring in extra revenue ?
Could the fans do more to bring more friends, family etc ?
Could the media department do more to spread the word ?

If the answers to all the above is yes then thatís a start point.
All those questions were equally valid at the start of the season.  SC has been trying to bring in more income since he took over with variable success or are you now saying circumstances may mean he is willing to reduce his shareholding in an attempt to bring in more funds?  Fans should always be looking to introduce newcomers, particularly as we are so dependant on the financial doping of a single benefactor.  I know you have a 'problem' with the media dept, but we are where we are and unless/until we have a massive shake up behind the scenes I really don't see what is going to change and that certainly wouldn't be where I would start the changes

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »
Every man wore a flat cap, and bog rolls came from everywhere when a goal was scored. :laughcry:

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
Its all Izal bog rolls were fit for!

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
John Wayne rolls, rough, tough and take no hsit. :thanks:

Linnet64

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2019, 02:25:54 PM »
Today everyone has transport and access to visit Norwich City, back in the 50s and 60s it was watching Lynn or nowt for most.  :oldman"

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 02:50:20 PM »
Don't forget the wooden rattle, my grandad gave me his, painted blue and yellow, with A.R.P. etched on it. I knew the war was good for something.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »
 Yep still got mine somewhere.......used to give it some welly as the team ran out to "blaze away"

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2019, 09:15:20 AM »
Tony,  the gates are short of what most clubs enjoy in the National League.  Do you believe Kings Lynn ( and district) has the potential to support a Club in the top tier of Non League Football?
Currently no, in the future, possibly but getting to the numbers required will take time, hence...
You say that it would be beneficial to have a few seasons at this level to consolidate crowds.  What was the average crowd for the last time we played at this level when we were a very mediocre team at this level ? 
1058.  We are on our highest average attendance since 86-87 which is another reason to doubt there are another 500 fans just waiting for National League football to come to the Walks.  I don't doubt attendances would rise with higher profile opposition, greater away support etc but given the radical shake up required to the cost base and squad (how many could afford to or would even want to go full time) I can't see how the numbers add up
https://www.thelinnets.co.uk/attendances-compared2019.php
Itís a gamble which ever way we go.  Itís not like The Chairman can say to IC, I donít want promotion this season.  If itís on then surely the Club as a whole has to give it a real good go. 
I think that would be speculating for disaster not for accumulation.  I am not saying we 'throw games' but if we can't afford the current squad I hope SC resists any pressure to add to that burden after Christmas, at least until the ground improvements are complete and paid for, remember the last time we were at this level it wasn't results on field that got us relegated.
Think the commercial side failings are the Club have been well documented.  The thing is for the club to progress then we need all our ducks lined up in a row. We have to capitalise on every advantage we have.

Could the Chairman do more to bring in extra revenue ?
Could the fans do more to bring more friends, family etc ?
Could the media department do more to spread the word ?

If the answers to all the above is yes then thatís a start point.
All those questions were equally valid at the start of the season.  SC has been trying to bring in more income since he took over with variable success or are you now saying circumstances may mean he is willing to reduce his shareholding in an attempt to bring in more funds?  Fans should always be looking to introduce newcomers, particularly as we are so dependant on the financial doping of a single benefactor.  I know you have a 'problem' with the media dept, but we are where we are and unless/until we have a massive shake up behind the scenes I really don't see what is going to change and that certainly wouldn't be where I would start the changes
Obviously, it's impossible to be definitive as there are so many variables but assuming there are decent structures in place like decent sponsorship etc, and taking account of tv monies ( how much do National League sides receive?) what size attendance do you feel would be needed to sustain a National League presence for Lynn?

Blue_and_Gold

• Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »
Yep still got mine somewhere.......used to give it some welly as the team ran out to "blaze away"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTNkaumX-VQ
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »
Only 700 at the Hereford replay, again puts Lynn's excellent attendance on Saturday into context. Some were predicting 2,000!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2019, 11:39:01 AM »
Traditionally gates always slip on the lead up to Christmas though this should be more than offset by a bumper Boston Utd crowd.   Be really interesting to see how many we pull in for that game.