Author Topic: The General Election and Football  (Read 1657 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: The General Election and Football
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 06:07:45 PM »
I thought the required ground improvements were all in hand.  Turnstiles ordered, concrete pad down at the Tennyson Road end.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
[Sadly I think the current Trust board are setting themselves up to be seen as 'part of the problem'.

:dontknow:   May I ask why?

It's only a personal opinion.  The GDF 'proved' that the Trust could do something practical to help the football club rather than being seen (by some) as 'anti' any owner of the football club (if it wasn't the Trust).  Fundraising events were held and the money raised has been used as a down payment on the turnstiles however, given that the funding for the ground improvements is still work in progress, I would have expected to see the GDF to continue.

Now if, hypothetically, funds can't be found to complete the required work in the timescale required to get FA approval for step 2 next year SC could point to a) the suspension of the GDF and b) the other funds held by the Trust and ask if the Trust is really there to help the club.  I appreciate (probably more than most) what is and isn't in the B&G Trust's constitution and how monies can be spent but the GDF was an ideal opportunity for the Trust to prove it is relevant and not just a protest group.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
Tony can I ask what makes you think there is a doubt about the money being available to complete the stage one of the Ground grading improvements by March ?  I thought the funding was coming from a 3rd party Grant.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 06:45:32 PM »
This ties into something Im noticing in this election; when people just look at most of their policies, people are quite favourable towards them. When they are then attributed to Labour, people go off them. Having grown up in swing-seat, I was surprised at the antipathy towards then in West Norfolk.

The actual policy, does have the incline of being so far reaching as to be one they dont expect to ever have to carry out.

On a slightly different note, I too thought the next part of the ground funding was coming from a grant. Itd be devastating to be in the playoffs, only to be relegated on technicalities.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 07:39:44 PM »
On a slightly different note, I too thought the next part of the ground funding was coming from a grant. Itd be devastating to be in the playoffs, only to be relegated on technicalities.

My understanding is that certain works have to be started and approved as satisfactory before the Grant money is handed over.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 08:03:46 PM »
[Sadly I think the current Trust board are setting themselves up to be seen as 'part of the problem'.

:dontknow:   May I ask why?

It's only a personal opinion.  The GDF 'proved' that the Trust could do something practical to help the football club rather than being seen (by some) as 'anti' any owner of the football club (if it wasn't the Trust).  Fundraising events were held and the money raised has been used as a down payment on the turnstiles however, given that the funding for the ground improvements is still work in progress, I would have expected to see the GDF to continue.

Now if, hypothetically, funds can't be found to complete the required work in the timescale required to get FA approval for step 2 next year SC could point to a) the suspension of the GDF and b) the other funds held by the Trust and ask if the Trust is really there to help the club.  I appreciate (probably more than most) what is and isn't in the B&G Trust's constitution and how monies can be spent but the GDF was an ideal opportunity for the Trust to prove it is relevant and not just a protest group.

It takes two to Tango.

The Club have been told that if they wanted the Trust to be involved in further ground development fund raising, the door is open.

I understand there has been no response since the Trust handed 4k over and made the offer.

On a slightly different note, apparently 10 "older supporters" who sit in the Stand have got together, and pledged 50 per month each, to go towards the playing budget.

Firstly, well done to these supporters. Secondly, it shows that Supporters don't have to be a member of either the FOTL or Trust to be involved in fund raising.

Even if Cleeve, FOTL and Trust are doing something (or willing to do something) with regards to fund raising, it doesn't mean that individuals or a few friends can't get together and do their own thing, should they wish to support the Club in a different way.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 08:14:08 PM »
Tony can I ask what makes you think there is a doubt about the money being available to complete the stage one of the Ground grading improvements by March ?  I thought the funding was coming from a 3rd party Grant.

Taken from the EDP article at the time "the grant will assist with some, but not all, of the cost involved in this development with the club meeting the balance of money required".  Full article here https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn-town/king-s-lynn-town-cash-boost-for-work-at-home-ground-1-6296923

I don't know any more details than are in the public domain but it wouldn't be unusual for grants to be subject to some form of match funding / contribution from the club, obviously the GDF could be counted towards this contribution.  As per SC's programme notes from the Leamington game he said he needed to put in an additional 30K (written after the GDF money had been paid to the turnstile company).  Whether that is a 'worst case scenario' or not, my guess is there is still a sizeable chunk of money that needs to be found to cover the cost over and above the grant funding.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 10:33:38 PM »
Hereford did us a big favour tonight.

Interesting tweet from them after the game. Although they "only" had 1500 there tonight, the winning pot for their 50/50 was 460!

I have no idea how much we usually raise on our 50/50, but with gates of around 1100, guess (when comparing it to Herefords figures) we should be aiming for circa 375 to 400. That's no small amount when added up over the season. Anyone know if we achieve that or even beat it?

If we only have one person selling tickets, could we not have two (or if we have two, maybe try three)?
Worth a try?

:dontknow:

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »
Or online. :coffee:

Brad94

• KLTFC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 10:05:32 AM »