Author Topic: Looking good.  (Read 2586 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Looking good.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
With IC stating we are going to have to go more direct due to the state of the pitch I think Gash will be pivotal to the way we play.   He is instrumental in getting us the field, holding it up and getting other players up in support.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »
I respect your view, Mallard, but I think the idea of a big bloke holding it up and bringing others into play is part “Old W-formation” and part mythology cliche. It is only a method used by teams who “hump it up”.   Few teams play like that in the modern era, and my natural cynicism causes my belief that, in general, if a player needs to be “brought into the game” he shouldn’t be on the pitch !  Of course, it works sometimes in a game, but can’t dictate the style of play for a consistently successful team.  I do like Gash, though, because when he’s on, he does a lot more than hold it up.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 01:15:14 PM »
TonyM, what did you think of the game today?

Personally thought we were a bit too open, OK against Blyth (and Leamington last month) but would like to see us tighten things up.  Not a fan of the 4-2-2-2 system although if we are going to play two 'holding' midfielders would prefer to see Payne in the starting 11.  Positives, thought Henderson and Clunan had good games and Hawkins looked bright when he came on (clearly a cross for Marriott's goal). 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
Think the whole game became ‘open’ in the last 20 mins. I put that down to the energy sapping pitch. Big gaps appearing between the 3rds.  Hendo and Carey made some great runs from the middle beyond the strikers. 

How do you see it playing out Tony if we go more direct ? ( as suggested by IC)

Good to catch up with for a chat Saturday, Tony

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
Think we have to stay positive.  “Holding” players tend to leave a team using them a man short, and also concede territory, allowing the opponents to come at us, because we wouldn’t be keeping them on the back foot.  Just my opinion, no offence meant. I just believe the old adage “attack is the best for.m of defence”.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 06:23:37 PM »
With a holding midfield player(s) it’s allows the other midfield go and join in further up the field and also allows one or the other of full backs to get out.

Football is simple game complicated by players  :laughcry:

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »
Its strange that we all have different opinions on todays game, I suppose it depends on where we sit/stand etc. Mallards review on Gash is different to mine, I thought he was off the pace today from the 1st minute, ok the pitch was heavy but for some reason in the last couple of months he thinks he can dribble past every defender, well he does not have the speed to do that, also he is getting caught offside even more than Marriot, now that is an achievement. Its not just my opinion, its many in the main stand. I would like to see Hawkins more upfront, defenders do not like players with real pace running at them, Hawkins has the lot, a game changer.  No Kelly today, anyone know why, or have I missed something?
Probably the same idiots in the stand who were moaning against Gateshead.I'd like to see them take the battering he gets week in week out and be 100 percent every game.Unbelievable.

Linnet64

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »
Its strange that we all have different opinions on todays game, I suppose it depends on where we sit/stand etc. Mallards review on Gash is different to mine, I thought he was off the pace today from the 1st minute, ok the pitch was heavy but for some reason in the last couple of months he thinks he can dribble past every defender, well he does not have the speed to do that, also he is getting caught offside even more than Marriot, now that is an achievement. Its not just my opinion, its many in the main stand. I would like to see Hawkins more upfront, defenders do not like players with real pace running at them, Hawkins has the lot, a game changer.  No Kelly today, anyone know why, or have I missed something?
Probably the same idiots in the stand who were moaning against Gateshead.I'd like to see them take the battering he gets week in week out and be 100 percent every game.Unbelievable.

Gashy alway heavily marked now as indeed Mazza, but both scoring goals :)