Author Topic: The Pitch  (Read 6324 times)

stevejuke

• View Profile
The Pitch
« on: December 08, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
Having received numerous comments on the recent condition of the pitch, I thought I ought to respond.

With the greatest respect to the Chairman, Management, Players and of course the fans, I cannot be called to account for the amount of rain we have had in the last couple of months. For everyone’s information, we have had, without splitting hairs, 320 mm (old money 13 inches) of rain the the last 7 weeks.

Also, for your information, one inch of water equals 113 tons of water per acre.   The pitch is one and a half acres. Therefore, we have effectively had 2,200 tons of water in 7 weeks. Even with the new drainage installed, I have no control over the amount of rain we have had.  I can assure you that I will do my best to keep the pitch flat and divot free at 3 pm. What happens during the game is out of my hands.

Rant over.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
Re: The Pitch
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
No one is blaming you, you're doing a fantastic job.
You can't control the weather.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:13:06 PM »
Echo that one Jesus.  Steve you have done a great job with the pitch.  Great for free flowing football in August with the sun shining.  Now we have the wet winter months and the non growing months, it is what it is.   

IC I’m sure will come up with a plan to adapt.  That should throw a few teams who have had us watched. 

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »
I've not seen any comments about the pitch recently, either good or bad.   :dontknow:
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

stevejuke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 08:24:12 PM »
They have been verbal direct at me.

Nigel nigle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 08:30:10 PM »
Since you have been looking after the pitch there is no doubt it has vastly improved, there is no doubt about that. These days there is obviously more science about creating that carpet like pitch all season which i am sure also costs money - and there is the balance.

Keep up the good work Steve

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
They have been verbal direct at me.

OK. Thanks for the explanation. I thought that as you had posted on here about it, that it somehow involved the forum.

That's a lot of water!
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:47:01 PM »
I’m surprised Steve that anyone has had anything detrimental to say to you re the pitch. 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »
I should just try and ignore the comments Steve, you can't do any more in the current circumstances......this autumn's rainfall is just something else. Whilst Hereford have the money to produce a carpet, further improvements are still needed at The Walks. Anyone moaning should take a look at Kettering's pitch, likened to The Somme, by some, at the weekend.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 08:59:06 PM »
IC wants to play a free flowing game and for that needs a really decent surface.  With him coming from the pro game it’s a bit unfair if he thinks pitches are going to be of the standard he is use to at this level.   I’m sure Steve that you have a limited budget to work to with regard the pitch etc and you do the very best you can.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Having received numerous comments on the recent condition of the pitch, I thought I ought to respond.

With the greatest respect to the Chairman, Management, Players and of course the fans, I cannot be called to account for the amount of rain we have had in the last couple of months. For everyone’s information, we have had, without splitting hairs, 320 mm (old money 13 inches) of rain the the last 7 weeks.

Also, for your information, one inch of water equals 113 tons of water per acre.   The pitch is one and a half acres. Therefore, we have effectively had 2,200 tons of water in 7 weeks. Even with the new drainage installed, I have no control over the amount of rain we have had.  I can assure you that I will do my best to keep the pitch flat and divot free at 3 pm. What happens during the game is out of my hands.

Rant over.
[/quote

:farmer: :farmer: :farmer: :oldman" Well said Steve, I can't give you enough praise for the state our pitch is in, excellent compared to only 12 months ago is all I can say. Being a farmer myself and being unable to get on the land to plant our crops,I fully understand your dilemmas, if indeed people are complaining. Ignore them, they have obviously got no worthwhile knowledge of soil maintenance and condition. Please keep doing what you are doing the pitch looks the best it has ever done in my near 50 years of attending the Walks. :farmer: :farmer: :farmer: :oldman"

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 11:54:04 PM »

Rant over.

Many comments I heard on Saturday regarding the state of the pitch were all in the positive,saying how well you have done to keep it at all playable with the recent rain. Some were saying that if it was the old guard looking after the pitch it probably would have been called off. Again echoing many others,well done and keep up the good work. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 06:10:26 AM »
Honestly, how can anyone complain about the pitch, it has never ever been in such good condition. IC has said the pitch is boggy and it is affecting the style of football he wants to play but doesn’t blame you.  Please don’t lose heart, SC has said you are one of his best appointments and no doubt you have his full support, and I suspect 99% of the club’s supporters. Speaking of supporters I am still amazed and disappointed that the Pitch Sponsorship has not yet sold out. To think you only had to sell 200 at the start of the season and only just over half have been sold is a disgrace.  Good luck in all your efforts.
Badger :oldman"

GrahamB

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »
As per the other comments Steve, I am not aware of any complaints with you and the excellent job you are doing. A blind man and his dog can see the amount of rain that has fallen in the past weeks and to keep the pitch as you have, in probably one of the wettest areas in lynn,  is a credit to you. You only have to take a stroll through the Walks and look at the water level in there to see how high the water table is, so I would simply say keep doing what you are doing! Its the same for both teams.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »
You only have to take a stroll through the Walks and look at the water level in there to see how high the water table is, so I would simply say keep doing what you are doing! Its the same for both teams.

Exactly. Last time I looked, water doesn't flow upwards!