Author Topic: Mick Wright  (Read 1411 times)

Colin Fuller

• View Profile
Mick Wright
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »
I understand Lynn legend Mick Wright has died. Wonderful club servant, outstanding player in a fine Lynn team under Reg Davies.  Always gave maximum effort and very versatile in a number of positions. Condolences to his family. Lynn’s greatest player?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
Re: Mick Wright
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 03:07:07 PM »
I think Mick held the record for most appearances for 1 club , after we signed him from Northampton, well over 1000 games for Lynn, old fashioned inside forward, or half back. Top player. Very nice bloke. R.I.P Mick.   

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »
If this is correct, then this is a sad day for Kings Lynn F C. Mick was a player who gave his all, on and off the pitch.As already stated I'm sure he held records for most appearances in league football. The club needs to honour his commitment in some way on Saturday. :scarf:

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »
Been following the Linnets since the mid 50's. Mick undoubtedly our greatest player over that period. A true icon and wonderful sportsman. .

Mick, thank you you so many good memories....Sincere condolences to your family....... R.I.P

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
Mick Wright joined King’s Lynn FC in 1961 aged 19.
He holds the British record for playing 1,152 games without ever getting booked or sustaining an injury.
He also twice scored the winning goal during the club’s celebrated FA Cup run of 1961-62 and is in the King’s Lynn FC Hall of Fame.

RIP Mick Wright.
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Steve C

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Extremely sad news. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this present time.

Great footballer and a great person too. My memories stretch back to the mid 1960s, I especially recall an evening match when the ball went out of play opposite the main stand, a young lad ran as fast as he could to retrieve the ball but Mick had beaten him to it, the sad look on the young lads face said it all but Mick handed the ball back to the young lad so he could throw it back to Mick again...........absolutely made the young lads night judging by the smile........what a kind and thoughtful gesture from Mick. TRUE GENTLEMAN.

Thank you for all the memories.

R.I.P Mick you will be dearly missed.
Followed KLFC until 2009.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »
A very sad day in the history of the Club.   RIP.  I true servant of the Club over so many years.

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »
So sad. He was without doubt the greatest individual to ever grace our club, on and off the pitch. In the past it was stated that the “Hospital End” was going to be renamed “The Mick Wright End”; but nothing has been erected stating it and not many people are aware of this. In my opinion the main stand should be renamed in his honour and would follow other football stadiums worldwide in honouring a great footballer, who has contributed so much. The club just has to do something.
Regards - Badger :oldman"

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »
'Mr King's Lynn' indeed.
The council missed a wonderful opportunity to honour the man. Maybe they will put in a grant application for a new ground or at the very least a training centre for the club and name the new building after him.

I am sure the club themselves will also honour his remarkable playing career and loyalty to the club in a meaningful and long standing way.

daleh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Very sad to hear that Mick Wright has died. A true Linnet who was hard and solid at the back but never dirty or a cheater.  An absolute disgrace that he wasn't made a ' Freeman of Lynn '.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 05:47:45 PM »
As many do,  I feel very strongly about this. There should be a permanent legacy for Mick and it should represent the whole town.
I feel I want to write to The Executive Director, who is responsible for Sports Facilities  at KL&WNBC in a very professional and pleasant manner and state that whilst I understand that the council had it's own reasons for not being able to offer "Freeman status", that is actually seen as a huge faux pas by many in the town.
The football club is booming, attracting on average over 1,000 people to every home match and sitting top of the league following promotion last year. What it could desperately do with is some decent training facilities in addition to the ground.......as many other councils have already provided for teams of Lynn's standard or below.
Could the council not remedy the situation on both fronts by providing the required facility and naming it after Mick, so that the association with the club is there for all to see ?

It strikes me that this Forum has a large audience of like minded people, which is not available elsewhere.
Are we somehow able to get a long list of signatures at the end of the letter ?.... can we get round the issue of identities being exposed on The Forum.?.....do we instead do it by petition, that everyone signs?    I am not sure of quite the best way forward, but feel we have a great opportunity to "encourage" something to be done for a leading man in our club.

Linnet64

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
A huge loss. Mick was a true sport and gent and truely Mr Kings Lynn. Such a shame the Council never recognised his feats and all he did for Lynn.
Hopefully, the Council will have 2nd thoughts and do the decent thing. Legend  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 10:22:46 PM »
Very sad news indeed, in my humble opinion the best player to wear the linnets shirt. I hope that like many others who post on this forum that the club will pursue some way of honouring him. R.I.P Mick and condolences to all his family.