Author Topic: Political and Racist Issues  (Read 1730 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
Re: Political and Racist Issues
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 04:16:05 PM »
Are you really lost as to why immigration is linked to racism ?  Not saying it always is, but canít see why you would be ďat a loss ď ..?!?....  As regards the ďanti-semitismĒ issue - The problem with that is the anti-Israel versus anti- Jewishness argument, not about real racism at all, unless it comes from a racist stand-point.  There is no such differential in the case of real racism, which is surely about prejudice against colour, religion, nationality, etc...  Anyway, racism is a problem in society, not merely football. Let us pray, no less, that there is no crowd trouble tomorrow, for whatever reason......

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 08:07:10 PM »
Are you really lost as to why immigration is linked to racism ?  Not saying it always is, but canít see why you would be ďat a loss ď ..?!?....  As regards the ďanti-semitismĒ issue - The problem with that is the anti-Israel versus anti- Jewishness argument, not about real racism at all, unless it comes from a racist stand-point.  There is no such differential in the case of real racism, which is surely about prejudice against colour, religion, nationality, etc...  Anyway, racism is a problem in society, not merely football. Let us pray, no less, that there is no crowd trouble tomorrow, for whatever reason......

Just because the majority of people in the UK want stricter border control and stricter immigration laws does not mean they are racist. I'm sure their major concerns are with security issues and the financial cost of having an open door policy. Changing the laws on immigration has nothing to do with racism. So yes, I am lost as to why you link Immigration to Racism.

Your post said all racists voted leave, but also that real racism is about prejudice against colour, religion, nationality. Can't have it both ways. The anti Semites that were in the news during the recent election were mostly (if not all) remoaners, so would not have voted leave.

I agree that racism is a society problem, not just a football one.

Did anyone other than the original poster actually hear the "we've got Brexit now"comment?
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 09:51:29 PM »
Weíll have to agree to differ on this, but I didnít say all those who wanted stricter immigration and security are racist.  Indeed I said the opposite, that not all Leave voters are racist, which agrees with your point.  The anti-Semite angle is more complicated.  All I want to ensure is that our crowd donít engage in racist comments, even non-racist but derogatory comments, aimed at opposing fans or players, firstly because I find it offensive, and also because it could easily land the club in trouble to spoil this excellent season.  Gary Neville May have been a failure at his first management position in Spain, but he is talking the most sense on this touchy subject, IMHO....

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »

The anti Semites that were in the news during the recent election were mostly (if not all) remoaners, so would not have voted leave.

Did anyone other than the original poster actually hear the "we've got Brexit now"comment?

A couple of points. B & G:
Firstly, another poster a couple of weeks ago made a reference to the issue of anti-Semitism and it was deleted by the moderator. Do you not have to abide by the same rules?
Secondly, why ask whether anyone else heard the remark?

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
Weíll have to agree to differ on this, but I didnít say all those who wanted stricter immigration and security are racist.  Indeed I said the opposite, that not all Leave voters are racist, which agrees with your point.  The anti-Semite angle is more complicated.  All I want to ensure is that our crowd donít engage in racist comments, even non-racist but derogatory comments, aimed at opposing fans or players, firstly because I find it offensive, and also because it could easily land the club in trouble to spoil this excellent season.  Gary Neville May have been a failure at his first management position in Spain, but he is talking the most sense on this touchy subject, IMHO....

As you say, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. However, I know you didn't say all those that wanted stricter immigration controls were racist, and I don't believe I said you did.
What you said is all racists voted leave, which is where I disagree with you due the activities and lack of response to anti semitism within a major political party, that campaigned to stay in the EU  (i.e. clearly racist but voted remain).
Don't stop and never give up. If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
Fingers crossed in every shape and form that today is about two decent non League Footballing sides, and nothing more.