Author Topic: Political and Racist Issues  (Read 1252 times)

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Political and Racist Issues
« on: December 24, 2019, 06:43:54 PM »
Political and Racist Opinions should have their own Post and not tagged onto a different subject.

Quote from Stan on another Post:

"I hope Lynn win but I won't be at the match or any Lynn match in the future. During the last game, at home to Dover a comment was made to one of their substitutes from the crowd. The player looked at the crowd and someone shouted: " Hey, we've had Brexit now!" Many laughed; the player in question looked extremely uncomfortable. Needless to say, the Dover player was black. During the game another black Dover player was taunted continually throughout the game. No specific reference was made of an overtly racist nature but there was probably implicit racism in the taunts.
So, I've mulled this over for days and have decided - this is very difficult as I love supporting Lynn - not to attend any more games. I don't want to be in an environment where such attitudes are common.
So, I wish the team well and anyone who I've peed off on here, many apologies and happy Christmas!"   :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

You are quite right to object to any racist comments by fans at any football game.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
Re: Political and Racist Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 06:59:45 PM »
Hmm Merry Christmas Stan.  Fair play for standing up and speaking out. Your stance is commendable. But why wait nearly 2 weeks before speaking out. I would like to think, after reporting the incidents, you have been waiting for the club to conduct their investigations, before going public. But I fear I am wrong. I am not that clever Stan, only got CSE's. So can you explain the difference between "overtly racist nature &  implicit racism"  I fear this is a very badly timed, look at me attention seeking type of post. Which is designed to rock the boat.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
Hmm Merry Christmas Stan.  Fair play for standing up and speaking out. Your stance is commendable. But why wait nearly 2 weeks before speaking out. I would like to think, after reporting the incidents, you have been waiting for the club to conduct their investigations, before going public. But I fear I am wrong. I am not that clever Stan, only got CSE's. So can you explain the difference between "overtly racist nature &  implicit racism"  I fear this is a very badly timed, look at me attention seeking type of post. Which is designed to rock the boat.

Don't be a wally Marcus. You can't report an incident unless you know who committed it, surely?  It was just a comment from the crowd. I've waited because I wasn't sure. There's nothing sinister about the timing. I suppose I have only just made up my mind. I think it's sad that you feel that calling out racism is politically motivated. Do you feel that Spurs challenge to the sports minister has a similar intention. Isn't it curious that someone who calls out racism gets attacked!
Strange old times!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »
This is a society issue more than a football one and I suspect that it rears its head more when there are large groups of people together, because the perpetrators think they can get away with it. If the people next to the individual react in the right way by condemning the comment or informing a steward, it will nip it in the bud quickly. Everyone at the ground and in Society in general has a responsibility and duty to help stamp it out. From a personal point of view, turning one's back on the situation or simply not turning up isn't a positive move and doesn't improve the situation.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Stan it was you who mixed racism with politics not me. So don't call me out after your political references have been removed by the moderators.  So Merry Christmas "wally" :cheers:

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »
Stan it was you who mixed racism with politics not me. So don't call me out after your political references have been removed by the moderators.  So Merry Christmas "wally" :cheers:
No Marcus. It was the fan who called out to the black player:" Hey, we've got Brexit now!" who mixed racism and politics, 24 hours after an election. It's amazing how people who call out racism get more abuse than the racists.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
No Marcus. It was the fan who called out to the black player:" Hey, we've got Brexit now!" who mixed racism and politics, 24 hours after an election. It's amazing how people who call out racism get more abuse than the racists.

"I think it's sad that you feel that calling out racism is politically motivated"  Make your mind up Stan.   :dontknow:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »
Unfortunately for our society, racism is political.  It has been a national societal problem for a very long time, and itís completely unfair to blame football.  It is a fact, however, that there are an unacceptable number of racists who cause problems within football.  The comment shouted from our terraces, or wherever, was an unfortunate but common example of an ignorance which abounds in our current society.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2019, 09:05:25 PM »
Unfortunately for our society, racism is political.  It has been a national societal problem for a very long time, and itís completely unfair to blame football.  It is a fact, however, that there are an unacceptable number of racists who cause problems within football.  The comment shouted from our terraces, or wherever, was an unfortunate but common example of an ignorance which abounds in our current society.

Racism is always political, just that some donít appreciate the breadth of politics. If you want to learn more about this the classic Ďblue eyes, brown eyesí experiment is freely available on YouTube.

Not having seen this particular incident, I canít comment directly on it, but it does tie in to wider theme noticed by many people Iíve spoken to at games recently is the the Walks just isnít as pleasant a place to spend a Saturday afternoon as it used to be. Weíve been reported to the FA quite a fee times in the last few years for fan behaviour (home and away) and there has been an increase in offensive behaviour. Not booing or the odd bit of swearing, Iím not suggesting their should be crowd of choirboys, but abuse. Iíve mentioned before that I donít watch away games anymore because of this, and fortunately where I sit in the stand, such things get called out, and invariably the individuals arenít there the following week; I guess they go elsewhere.

People should remember that they watching a game at the end of the day.

I am slightly worried about Thursday, as in the past itís been at the big games where Lynn has shown its worst side, and with the local derby aspect, I am having doubts about taking my son to the match.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 10:29:48 PM »
Yes, it's vital that this game goes off without crowd incidents of any kind, given the problems earlier in the season and the fact that there are big games to follow. Do hope the club invest sufficiently in stewards and police and re emphasize their zero tolerance policy before the game in the media and at the ground.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 10:42:26 PM »
I must be thick but I canít get where saying (weíve got Bexit done now )is a a racist statement

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 01:06:01 AM »
I must be thick but I canít get where saying (weíve got Bexit done now )is a a racist statement

Context. Why would it be shouted at an opposition player if it wasnít meant as some form of insult? Banter being unlikely as it doesnít really fit, and lacks the wit to form such, unless part of an unreported longer exchange.

And taking that (which you may dispute, though Iíd be inclined to see how,) what insult could be meant? Either they thought the opposition player had voted against it, and therefore there was sense of triumph in the comment; unlikely. Or it stems from one of the phrases linked to Brexit, of taking back control of immigration, and therefore is an oblique reference along the lines of the old fashioned racist jibe relating to Ďown country.í That would be the racist element Stan is referring to.

Before I get a backlash saying that Iím saying Brexit is intrinsically racist, Iím not. However shouting about it at a BAME opposition player probably is, or at least will be construed as such.

I could be wrong, and am open to considering alternative interpretations of events, if anyone cares to put them forward.

kenny r

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
Hopefully we are getting to the stage where players of both teams will simply walk off the field if racist chants or actions are heard. It is then down to the civilised members of the crowd to identify the abusers so that action can be taken against them.
 I have read that the PFA are now talking seriously about what should happen but again it will be made necessary by the complete inaction of the football authorities at all levels.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
Very surprised that ďweíve done Brexit nowĒ, shouted at a black player, can be questioned as to whether or not it is racist.  It canít be defined as anything else, even if it was said in ignorance or error.  As to whether Brexit was racist, I feel that not all Leave voters are racist, but all racists are Leave voters.  And, again only my honest opinion, I think virtually all of the brexit referendum campaign was about immigration and the feelings it induced one way or another.  I donít actually believe such calls from football terraces are always racist, hopefully including the call in question,  as they sometimes  emanate from a lack of understanding of the connection, albeit an astonishing lack, to be truthful.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »
.............but all racists are Leave voters.

Not so sure about that. Maybe it depends on if you regard people who are anti-Semitic as being racist.   :dontknow:

I agree that a big part of the referendum was about immigration, but not "virtually all". IMHO,  I think people's dislike (fear?) of Corbyn also played a major part in the result.

I'm at a loss why people should link Immigration to Racism. Chalk and Cheese. One has nothing to do with the other.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!