Author Topic: Boxing day v Boston.  (Read 5390 times)

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Boxing day v Boston.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Another funny from the Boston forum

“I hope it p****s it down
« on: Today at 10:26:43 AM »
With half the team injured, and such a tough game yesterday.  Would it be to our advantage if tomorrows match was called off?  Kettering did not have a match yesterday  and we played 74 minutes with 10 men in testing conditions.  Get the sprinklers on ;D ;D ;D”

Clutching a straws to gain an advantage 🤦🏼‍♂️

Fancy being scared of facing Kettering,their reserves could beat them? :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
Thought IC got it spot on with his post match comments - Boston the better side until the sending off which changed the game (but was clearly a sending off) and Lynn came more into the game as Boston sat back, both sides struggled with the conditions and it was difficult to play any sort of flowing football.  We looked better when we went to a back three and IC kept tinkering with his attacking options which finally paid off.

Personally thought they played Gash & Marriott as well as anyone and with the conditions our midfield struggled to add that bit of extra quality to really open them up.  Unfortunately my fears about the prospect of two games in a week seem to be well founded with two red cards and further scuffles meaning next weeks trip up the A17 is also likely to be another feisty affair, lets hope for better weather and a good consistent ref.

As for the comments from the Boston fans re segregation etc, probably reasonable as that seemed by far the most densely populated area of the ground so if it is possible it might be better to extend the covered area segregation - looking at the Walks compared to many grounds in the league, it does look 'tired' but improvements are being made and hopefully lessons will be learned from yesterday's experience of a big away following.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 06:11:46 PM »
From the off Boston were out of the gates and attacking the Lynn half where we we hard pressed to get out of for the first 10mins or so. Boston were much quicker to the ball and their passing was slick. On a very rare counter attack Adam Marriott was through and looked odds on to beat the goalie. However, he was chased by two defenders and cynically brought down just outside the box -  :red card: and Boston had to reorganise with 10men.

They defended in depth and parked themselves in their own half, waiting for a chance to break forward if the chances arose. 0 - 0 at HT with no side having any real advantage.

Second half started with no changes on either side and withe Boston still playing the defensive and go for a snatched goal on the break. Lynn were attacking but found it hard to find a way through. Boston goalie made several excellent saves. It was looking as if it would go to a scoreless draw.  The Free Kick was wasted going well over Pedro's bar.

Ian Culverhouse made some tactical changes, bringing on Hawkins, Carey and Ward, and these injected some different approaches and Sonny Carey banged the ball into the box, goal-ward bound and Michael Gash made sure it hit the net - 1 - 0. There three or four sets of "handbags" between players but they did not result in more than the Ref calling Captains in for calming words.

Boston threw all they had to try and salvage something and one concerted attack was thwarted by Ryan Jarvis fouling and getting the 2nd  :red card: of the game.

5minutes added and it swayed to and fro but FT came with Lynn bagging all 3points and staying on top 'o table.   :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Attack is the Best Form of Defence. (It works for the Military which is also a Team.)

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
Some highlights of the game available to view from a link on the Boston fans forum

https://youtu.be/9qB0aDxEsFQ

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Observing the Ubermensch.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
Some highlights of the game available to view from a link on the Boston fans forum

https://youtu.be/9qB0aDxEsFQ

Thanks Mallard.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 08:22:42 PM »
From Boston Forum;

“Agree, absolute tin pottery of the highest order, as for game, sending off changed it, 11 v 11 and we would have run out comfortable winners, must admit for a team top of table they were pretty poor, will wager a bet come end of season we will be above them in the league, long way to go yet“

Idiots. Granted we weren’t at our best, but still controlled the game, just final pass let us down today, and reasonably slow build up play. But fed up of the oldies that always stand near me, they’re so negative it’s unreal. Literally before the goal, bloke behind goes “don’t give it too sonny, he f**k it up” when Sonny got the ball, “here we go again”. Let’s encourage these great bunch of lads!

http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c9a6f0479a949cca866928819b278781&topic=7611.0

I never buy fruit and veg when I go to Boston Market. I've always found their grapes are sour!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »
Not many positive comments there  :laughcry: :laughcry:
Think it is a learning curve for the club as that's the first significant away support encountered. York will probably be similar amounts. Worth reviewing the segregation...not sure why there isn't a greater gap between the fans and  need to check full and quick evacuation will be safe...also access to loos crops up a lot.
Be interesting to see what Lynn fans make of Boston's place in a few days time.....I know Mallard has already been this season for the Chester encounter.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 12:14:15 AM »
http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c9a6f0479a949cca866928819b278781&topic=7611.0

I never buy fruit and veg when I go to Boston Market. I've always found their grapes are sour!

B&G, really don't see any of the posts to be sour grapes as many of the points are probably factually correct, things like the lack of access to the club house when supporters were asked to get there early (I know the segregated area wouldn't have access to the main stand but visitors wouldn't).  Our club has a hell of a lot to learn off the pitch - its all well and good that we are performing on the field but we knew we were no more than a decent step 3 side off it and comments like the those on the Boston forum shouldn't be belittled they should be taken as criticism from which the club has to learn from.  As KES80 has said, York are coming next month so we had better be acting quickly on anything that can be done to avoid a repeat.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 08:55:38 AM »
Good points from KES and TonyM.  Easy access to loos is obviously essential for away fans, and proper segregation of fans equally important.  If any of our fans haven’t been to Boston’s ground before, I believe they will be impressed.  Their development since the days when the clubs were genuine rivals has been excellent, and set something of the standard we need to reach if we wish to continue this season’s excellent progress on the field.  Many Boston fans must be gutted to be losing such a non-league gem to market forces.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 10:11:10 AM »
Spot on Dilly.  Loved my trips to York Street back from when Dave Cusack was Manager there.  I did however give it a miss during the times when the convicted fraudster was in charge.    Proper Football Ground.   

Have to say the new complex at Wyberton has much to live up to.  Will be sad to see yet another Town centre ground covered in Houses.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »

B&G, really don't see any of the posts to be sour grapes as many of the points are probably factually correct, things like the lack of access to the club house when supporters were asked to get there early (I know the segregated area wouldn't have access to the main stand but visitors wouldn't).  Our club has a hell of a lot to learn off the pitch - its all well and good that we are performing on the field but we knew we were no more than a decent step 3 side off it and comments like the those on the Boston forum shouldn't be belittled they should be taken as criticism from which the club has to learn from.  As KES80 has said, York are coming next month so we had better be acting quickly on anything that can be done to avoid a repeat.

O come on now. I think its obvious we have lots to learn and still a long way to go, but this lot would have found fault with something even if we had been playing at Wembley.

I really don't want my tounge in cheek comment to be taken in the wrong context, but if, as you say, you don't see any of their posts as sour grapes, are you really saying that our players went to ground too easily, the ref was a disgrace and bottled decisions against Boston, Lynn are a poor team, don't see how Lynn are top of the league, Boston should have had two penalties, we are tin pot of the highest order, Stewards were poor and looking for trouble, Refreshments were over priced, and the pitch was like a cabbage patch.

Personally, on that last point, if they really believe that I would have thought that the travelling fans would have felt very much at home!

By the way. WE WON.....fantastic result no matter what!   :scarf:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 11:18:43 AM »

O come on now. I think its obvious we have lots to learn and still a long way to go, but this lot would have found fault with something even if we had been playing at Wembley.

I really don't want my tounge in cheek comment to be taken in the wrong context, but if, as you say, you don't see any of their posts as sour grapes, are you really saying that our players went to ground too easily, the ref was a disgrace and bottled decisions against Boston, Lynn are a poor team, don't see how Lynn are top of the league, Boston should have had two penalties, we are tin pot of the highest order, Stewards were poor and looking for trouble, Refreshments were over priced, and the pitch was like a cabbage patch.

Personally, on that last point, if they really believe that I would have thought that the travelling fans would have felt very much at home!

By the way. WE WON.....fantastic result no matter what!   :scarf:

Can't comment on the penalty decisions as too far away, Lynn didn't start well and even against 10 struggled to create any real clear cut chances so valid (on that showing) to question why we are top as they haven't seen the great football we have played most of the time this season, can't comment on the stewards on the away end but probably a fair point as it seems a fairly constant feature of away fans comments for 'big' games (or are they all sour grapes given our how well we have done at home under IC), even home fans quibble at the drinks prices and the pitch was heavy on the day, again much better than previous years but what that really means is the game went ahead when I think previously the game would have been in serious doubt, nothing you can do about the weather and the new drainage must be helping but the Walks is a 'difficult' ground when we have lots of rain, mainly due to its location.

As I said, I don't think we need to be defensive about criticism of the Walks, we have stepped up massively and the ground has suffered from decades of under investment, I see the comments from Boston fans (and some others who have visited this season) to be a wake up call for everyone to realise what is needed for step 2 football, you only have to look at what Boston are moving away from at the end of the season to see where the benchmark is.

Mallard

• Trusted User
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 12:50:29 PM »
If York Street is the benchmark for the Boston fans, then yes we come up short.  However York Street was/is considered of Football League standard.  So yes The Walks comes up short.   We, as a club have come a long way since we get tits up under Bobbins.  The Ground might not be A1 in many aspects but it’s our home ground with plenty going for it.   Boston might have us beat in certain area’s but in other ways we also have advantages.   Ticket system in place as one example.  A home ground that we can’t be moved from ( is Wyberton really Boston?).   I’ve been to many of the so called non League grounds of the future and many are soulless places.  Give me the Walks any day.  Boston fans are about to lose their heritage and History.   Sad day.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Yes very sad....these multi use community stadiums ate soulless...Boston and York will soon find this out......just ask the West Ham fans !!

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »

B&G, really don't see any of the posts to be sour grapes as many of the points are probably factually correct.......

Tony, only replying to what you actually said when you were pulling my post apart. i.e. you said "any" of the posts.

[Its all well and good that we are performing on the field but we knew we were no more than a decent step 3 side off it and comments like the those on the Boston forum shouldn't be belittled..........

Really? I don't think we need to take the slightest bit of notice from any comments from Boston supporters, especially  with their not too distant history and how much they have got wrong in the last 10/15 years.

So it's ok for them to try and belittle both our team and the hard work that our people have put in off the pitch  (yes, we know there's a long way to go), but its not ok to respond?

Constructive criticism is fine, and that's what we need to learn from. It's clear to me that these Boston supporters  comments were not made in an attempt to be constructive, but  all just sour grapes. I doubt they would have made any of these comments if the score line had been reversed.

As the comments come from Boston supporters, certainly not anything we need to take any notice of. I'm certain that the majority  of our own supporters know where we have got it right, and where we need to up our game. I'm also certain that everyone at the Club is fully aware of what is still needed going forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal