Author Topic: The Forgotten Man/team  (Read 1133 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
The Forgotten Man/team
« on: January 06, 2020, 06:32:28 PM »
It seems like Neil and the Reserves have become the forgotten at the Club.   Is there a future for the Reserves ?   Not been a great season for them so far and I see they had a disappointing 4-0 defeat at bottom of the League Wisbech St Mary at the weekend.

Ap

• View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Man/team
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »
Good post Mallard and one which I thought would have prompted some responses. Perhaps the lack of reply tells us all we need to know.

By my very rough calculations there are currently 101 places between first and reserve teams. This brings into question what is the function of the reserves within the KLTFC structure. Such a gap means that reserve players surely cannot step straight into the first team. The reserves no longer play at the Walks so presumably cannot be considered a revenue stream for the club.

If they have a future possibly this could be as part of a  pathway for young players which has to be bridged by loans to the likes of Dereham, Lowestoft etc en route to (hopefully) National league football?

Not sure on the relegation rules from step 6 but if the reserves drop into Ang Comb level then surely it is game over (assuming that decision has not already been taken internally)?

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
I think the model adopted by many National (inc North & South division) clubs is to focus on an academy and the 1st team which combined with a sensible loan policy works better than running a fully blown reserve side, which will always be a long way away from 1st team standard.  An academy fulfils a couple of areas - bringing youth into the club and a potential income stream (although perhaps less than SC would like) along with the possibility of a big pay day if you unearth a 'diamond' as well as to a much lesser extent potential cover for a run of injuries / suspensions and IC seems unwilling to take players just to sit on the bench.

We seem to have made steps towards this model over the past couple of seasons with Limb, Stewart and Hawkins all going out to get games as their first team opportunities were limited.  I assume Luke Johnson is now back from his month with Leiston but in truth you could see how it would be better for him and the likes of Joe Taylor to have the opportunity of playing step 3 or 4 next year rather than continuing with the reserves.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 10:37:36 PM »
Reserves lost 2-1 at "home" to Lakenheath this evening.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!