Author Topic: York on Saturday.  (Read 5810 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
York on Saturday.
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:02 PM »
I appreciate what Steve the groundsman said on an earlier post, ( that the pitch should be fine for the top of the table clash), but even with my glass half full for the first time in 2020, I can’t remotely imagine how the match can go ahead as I look at photos on Facebook of the ponds all over The Walks itself, and hear the ruddy rain trying to knock a hole in my conservatory roof for what seems the 50th day on the trot.  Fingers crossed, of course, but we must have a helluva drainage system in the stadium !!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: York on Saturday.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 10:29:02 PM »
I think they should drain the rivers on the walks,give the water somewhere to go. :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Linnet64

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 07:15:14 AM »
Ba
I think they should drain the rivers on the walks,give the water somewhere to go. :dontknow:
Back in the 60s the hospital end drain was much deeper and the drain at the side of the North stand, and the water that passes through the Walk (Gaywood River) was always flowing into the Millfleet on the ebb tide. Didn't stop the surface water on the park/walks, but did lower the water table at the football club.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 07:36:08 AM »
Maybe Steve Curtis could post an update on how the pitch is standing up ?

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:36:09 AM »
I just cant see this game being on. As much as we all want it to be on.
We've had so much rain.
The groundsman has done a great job but he is no miracle worker.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 08:54:05 AM »
Miracles he can do,  the impossible takes a bit longer. 

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
An earlier post implied that “If someone sneezed on their pitch, Boston would call the game off”.  This hardly seems fair as, as far as I know, it is “officials” who decide whether a pitch is playable, and not the clubs.  However, if club opinions ARE instrumental in a decision, perhaps we should bear in mind that for Saturday, and for the rest of the season, that pitch “playability” is paramount to the type of football our team and management like to play, and which has proved so successful this season.  Just a thought, with a hint of the possibility of a hint !

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »
For an early call off I think a club can call in a local Referee to perform a pitch inspection if there is a doubt. 

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »
Postponement:
Pros- potentially a better surface next time round, but at this time of year and with 8 league matches still to play on it, it really is in the lap of the gods as to what falls out of the sky in the next few weeks
- York would have to come up mid week
- More chance for squad members to be fit for the big one.

Cons- significant financial hit, att could drop from say 2500 to 1500 on midweek fixture, plus VIP packages.
-Marriott, hopefully he stays...if he were to go he may not be here for rearranged fixture.

Would think the club will do what it can to get it on as its such a potential bonanza of a pay day, but I can't see how much water is currently lying on the pitch after the latest deluge !

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »
In reply to LUFC1992KLFC, no worries about tomorrow, this game WILL go ahead, if it doesn't I will give £20 to a charity of your choice.

daleh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »
The Walks has always been wet in the winter.  I'm sure that's why the swimming pool and duck pond were there years ago. Good luck to the groundsman. He is doing a great job.

Brad94

• KLTFC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
The bucket collection for frost/rain covers should be going round today people, Chuck a bit of change in there, could easily get to the target today and have them on order tomorrow!

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »
The bucket collection for frost/rain covers should be going round today people, Chuck a bit of change in there, could easily get to the target today and have them on order tomorrow!

And more 50/50 Sellers  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
I can't help but say this at this stage about the 50/50 and I hope the rumour is incorrect . I have heard that the main man for the draw and his sellers were requested to buy match day tickets rather than get in free as organiser/volunteers. Understandably the young ladies felt they were no longer interested and the organiser , not wanting to miss any of the game he had paid to watch needed to stop selling tickets a while before the kick off so he could deal with the money side of things.

Mark A Hearle

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 10:11:23 AM »
Morning all,

Please take advantage of the box office opening at the Stadium at 11am this morning for the purchase of match tickets for this afternoon if you haven't got yours already.

And if you have your tickets  then don't leave it too late before leaving for the match as the whole area of The Walks will be very busy from around 1 pm with football and normal traffic. Enjoy the day , get behind the lads as you always do and show your support in the correct way .

Thanks to ARC Fabrication , today's match sponsor.