Author Topic: End of Season Black tie dinner.  (Read 2792 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
Re: End of Season Black tie dinner.
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »
Yes KES, you ARE missing something obvious......  We are thankfully free of it here at the moment, but it only takes one before itís a town or county problem, especially if some ill-informed carrier goes into a pub thinking ďitís only a sniffleĒ.  Letís do everything to keep it out of our area, if that is possible.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »
Coastal Linnet echoes my feelings about the Mail, and he did it with a cracking joke.  I read it to my wife and she hit on Coastalís methodology to perhaps relieve the current mysterious shortage of toilet rolls !!!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »
Yes KES, you ARE missing something obvious......  We are thankfully free of it here at the moment, but it only takes one before itís a town or county problem, especially if some ill-informed carrier goes into a pub thinking ďitís only a sniffleĒ.  Letís do everything to keep it out of our area, if that is possible.
Doing everything  surely means isolating and quarantising those affected or in contact with those that are affected and that is surely where the authorities need to act quicker and be smarter.......it doesn't mean panicking which will just add to the problem

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »
Agreed, KES, that we donít want panic.  However, the problem with your suggestion, IMO, is that we donít know who IS affected, nor who is in contact with them, probably unknowingly.  That is what causes the actual spread.  Worse, people donít have to be in contact with those affected, nor those in contact with them, just touch what theyíve touched, or walk into a cough or sneeze ! 

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 03:06:45 PM »
Agreed, KES, that we donít want panic.  However, the problem with your suggestion, IMO, is that we donít know who IS affected, nor who is in contact with them, probably unknowingly.  That is what causes the actual spread.  Worse, people donít have to be in contact with those affected, nor those in contact with them, just touch what theyíve touched, or walk into a cough or sneeze !

Its transmissible before individuals are symptomatic. Itís why containment hasnít really worked anywhere. Sensible hygiene measures should be taken (that we should all be doing anyway) but itís only if youíre over 70 or have significant prior conditions you should consider avoiding public gatherings.

Blue_and_Gold

• Independent Moderator
  • Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 03:54:51 PM »
Yes Kes, as Dilly has said, I think you must be missing something.

Agreed nobody should panic, but the potential harm this Corona virus could do is eormous. Basically, if the Professionals are warning us and telling/advising us what to do or not to do, I personally don't think Its worth ignoring what they have to say.

In fact, I would go as far to say that in the UK the official response has been relatively low key compared to other Countries, and that's probably due to those in Power being afraid of the financial consequences a more drastic response would create.

:dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2020, 08:32:18 PM »
Think you both have taken my post out of context...(Dilly and Blue and Gold)
Any significant flu outbreak can cause significant damage.
No one is suggesting ignoring professional advice......I believe The Chief Medical Officer himself, stated that large numbers of over 80's who contract the virus are likely to survive as are 90% of the general population.
What I am saying is that currently more people probably have contracted normal flu  and more people have died from it in the Uk in the last 2 weeks than from the nasty as you both term it.
If people want to read hype in rags such as The Mail and the like and believe it ALL and then get panicky, then it serves no useful purpose at all to any of us.
Stay calm, be vigilant and responsible in your behaviour and get things in proportion.
There is little more we as individuals can do.........just for the record, I have just taken a taxi in Norwich which smelt of detol..   apparently the driver has given it a thorough clean before Saturday night.He also told me he has just returned from holiday in Thailand where everyone is wearing a mask.
All I can do is take reasonable precautions..its all any of us can do.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2020, 11:42:32 PM »
KES - if I sat in a taxi smelling of detol,  and the driver told me heíd just returned from a country where everyone was wearing a mask, Iíd go and get a check-up on Monday morning.  The driver had no idea where his passengers had been or who they had been in contact with.  No panic, agreed, but no doubt itís a quick and simple test....

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2020, 09:14:16 AM »
Hi Dilly,
The country he visited is still considered low risk according to the UK NHS website, with a lot fewer cases than the UK currently has and he has been back for 4 days now. In certain countries people are used to wearing masks on a regular basis.......it begs the question though, should we be using masks here as a precautionary.
It also raises a further question re testing and how organised the country is or isn't....cos you can't just pop down to your local GP or Hospital for obvious reasons.......I have gone on line and gone through the checklist there though for best course of action.
Anyway, be assured I will do the right/responsible things........ including missing out on a Tuesday night fixture, even though that's probably not necessary..... let's return to the football chat as that is what this Forum is for and the chance to be top of the league....

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2020, 10:51:44 AM »
Yes, KES, the football chat is certainly more enjoyable, and obviously we are as one with hopes of the team winning this league.  Not only are we back to winning ways with yesterdayís excellent result, but in the recent less successful period many of our main rivals often did us a real favour with their own results !  It may well still prove tricky, but there canít be another club, at any level, in a better position than KLTFC - apart from Liverpool !........