Author Topic: Re: Southport Saturday POSTPONED  (Read 5222 times)

Linnet

• View Profile
Re: Southport Saturday POSTPONED
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »
Just looking at the forecast for today onwards, can't help thinking the game may be in doubt, again, sadly.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Southport Saturday POSTPONED
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
Hopefully a Footy-Fix at The Walks on Saturday  :clap: :clap: :clap:

We are certainly missing that spark that Michael Clunan brings in Midfield - not taking anything away from Jordan Richards but we need someone who can slow it down, control and release. I am still of the opinion that Aaron Jones can do that job (short term) until Michael is back.

Teams have cottoned on to Michael Gash and Adam Marriott and are marking them tightly - that should give other players the room to capitalise.

I am going for a 2 - 1 win with 1150 attendance.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33:02 PM »
WLM, I think Alfie is more than capable (if not better) than MC in that role but IC has generally played him further up the pitch.  When he got his chance in the York game after Jordon came off he looked far more 'natural' in that slightly deeper role.  As for moving Aaron, I think you end up creating two 'compromises' both in the midfield and also at right back where he has proved a better option than Ross imo.

As for teams marking Gash & Marriott, we have to have a plan B, earlier in the season Adam was still finding opportunities (and I think will continue to do so) but we also played through the midfield more with goals coming from a range of players.  Still not convinced that isn't the way to carry on but with the arrival of Power we seemed committed to having a winger which has generally been at the expense of one of the other midfielders so maybe that is now the new plan B, so long as we don't adopt the panic measure plan X of Power and Hawkins both on the field at the same time as seen in the second half vs Kidderminster we should be OK.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
WLM, I think Alfie is more than capable (if not better) than MC in that role but IC has generally played him further up the pitch.  When he got his chance in the York game after Jordon came off he looked far more 'natural' in that slightly deeper role.  As for moving Aaron, I think you end up creating two 'compromises' both in the midfield and also at right back where he has proved a better option than Ross imo.

As for teams marking Gash & Marriott, we have to have a plan B, earlier in the season Adam was still finding opportunities (and I think will continue to do so) but we also played through the midfield more with goals coming from a range of players.  Still not convinced that isn't the way to carry on but with the arrival of Power we seemed committed to having a winger which has generally been at the expense of one of the other midfielders so maybe that is now the new plan B, so long as we don't adopt the panic measure plan X of Power and Hawkins both on the field at the same time as seen in the second half vs Kidderminster we should be OK.

You make a good point about Power. Heís certainly one of our best 11 players, but Iím not convinced heís in our best 11. Prior to his arrival, we played through the middle far more. Now heís being used as an out, an excellent out against teams who push their full backs forward, but against teams that sit deeper his threat is somewhat neutered.

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »
Rain rain go away.... :banghead; :banghead;

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
We are getting less cavalier now that things are tightening up in the table.  I think we need to get on the front foot again, going for the opposition rather than sitting back and letting them come on to us.  Would like in away games to see Southwell in place of MG, and one of Kelly, Payne or Carey in place of Jarvis, to give us more pace and mobility, so keeping the opposition on the back foot.  That also gives us a stronger defensive set-up. At home, we ought to dominate with whatever line-up, but we must use our excellent range of attacking midfielders much earlier if we find we need more goal-threat.  Power is very dangerous, but suffered, as all teams do against a 20-legs forest defence.  Forget systems, and try to outnumber them in all areas of the pitch, like Leipzig !  All IMHO, of course !

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 06:20:33 PM »
Power has unbelievable pace but the team has to get the ball to him in the right areaís so he can use that pace with space to go into.

I see to recall Clunan was going to be out for 6-10 weeks.  It must be 10 weeks now since he was injured.

Any chance we can get an update from Steve Curtis re the pitch for tomorrow ? In two minds at the mo if we are gonna travel tomorrow.

stevejuke

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 06:58:29 PM »
The pitch is obviously very wet but at the time of writing hopefully, the worst of the rain is over, just a couple of showers in the morning, but the pitch is flat and divot free, but will be heavy and may well look like a car crash at 5 pm, hope that answers some questions.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »
Thanks Steve for that.  Top bloke.   3 hour round trip for us so can I ask Steve is there any likelihood the game could be off ?

nickc

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
Met office showing 4 hours of heavy rain for the morning. Hope that doesn't happen!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 09:35:32 PM »
Bostonís home game with Farsley been called along with 4 other games in our League.  Not looking good.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:51 PM »
Forecasts I have seen show just a couple of hours of light rain tomorrow. With strong drying winds overnight and tomorrow, I think it could well be on .

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
Bostonís home game with Farsley been called along with 4 other games in our League.  Not looking good.
You should see Bostonís pitch .... :shark:
I thought Gloucesterís was bad

Bluboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 10:05:25 PM »
Forecasts I have seen show just a couple of hours of light rain tomorrow. With strong drying winds overnight and tomorrow, I think it could well be on .
Could you please tell me directions to the walks been a while  :dontknow:
Are the rules still the same ?? Canít  wait  :scarf: címon lynn

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 06:14:51 AM »
Bluboy itís a long way from The High Chapperal